Edain 4.2 Demo Released
Nathla elvellon, Companions of Edain!
Today, Patch 4.2 for the Demo of Version 4.0 has been published. You can download it directly with the launcher, just use the update function.
If you don't have Edain 4.0 installed yet, just click on the banner below to download the demo. Note that you'll still have to update this version through the launcher to bring it up to version 4.2 and unlock the Elves.
If you have any problems, as usual, visit our Support-Forum!
Patch 4.2 adds the faction of Lothlorien with the supporting faction Mirkwood. Lead the skilled elves of the woods into battle, including many famous heroes like Galadriel, Celeborn, Thranduil and Legolas. Call the Beornings from Carrock or the Ents of Fangorn to help defeat your enemy! Lorien lacks the raw strength of factions like the Dwarves and their fortress features bridges between the trees instead of solid stone walls. However, they make up for this in speed, stealth and the best archers in the game. The aid of Mirkwood brings more robust troops like the Palace Guard, better to hold a line in front of your bowmen. Are you up to the challenge of leading the Wood Elves to victory?
Moreover, this patch brings many new features, balance changes and bug fixes:
- The health of all units has been reduced by 20%. Note that this is an experimental change: We do feel that Edain 4.0 could stand to be a bit faster and hope this change will make battles more dynamic. However, we don't want gameplay to become too frantic either - that's not the kind of RTS we want to make. So we're eager to hear your feedback on how you like the reduced health!
- Economy Structures have all been reduced in cost and now produce the same amount of money inside a fortress and on a settlement.
- Catapults are slightly cheaper and deal more damage. Furthermore, they now deal a small additional amount of damage in a large radius. This is meant to be effective against large groups of clumped units, but less efficient if the enemy disperses his troops.
- Many abilities got new Sound Effects, improving the feeling of the game. For example, there will be different sounds for the horns of the different factions (thanks to the support from the English community), or unique sounds for Brand's falcon or Dain's Battle Boar.
- Many new Soundsets thanks to CragLord, SnobGoblin, RadagasttheFool, DieWalküre, aron1488, and everyone else who provided sounds.
- The AI has been partially reworked and so it should react more intelligently to the actions of the player.
- The performance of the game has been improved.
- Fortress Defenses will have a longer buildup time, so that they can't be constantly rebuilt in the middle of a siege.
- We have added several new Maps such as Pinnath Gelin, the Emyn Muil and the East-Road.
- Many mounted Heroes are now able to carry Hobbit heroes.
- The dwarves got different Scout Heroes and Scout Units. Erebor can recruit Nori, the Iron Hills have three Ram Riders, which can be upgrade to whole battalions later. Bilbo remains for Ered Luin.
- The dwarven realm of the Iron Hills will be supported by an unique sub faction, the Ered Mithrin:
- Rohan's Royal Guard now have an ability that greatly increases their strength against pikemen for a short duration. Rohan was too easily countered by armies of spears, so we decided that as the most cavalry-focussed faction they could have the one cavalry unit which is not as vulnerable to pikes as usual. However, you still have to time that ability well and can't just permanently cut through spears.
- Theoden's abilites were reworked. Instead of Hero of Helm's Deep he summons a Herold, who grants the same leadership to nearby units as Theoden himself. This allows you to split your army and still have Theoden's powerful boost present on all your units.
- Grond has been completly reworked, such that Grond is able to attack walls, move through destroyed gates and is defended by archers.
- Wulfgar got a new and more unique ability set. Now, his role and objectives in the game are stronger and he will support the Wild Men of Dunland better in the lategame.
- Many Designs and Elements of the Hobbit Movies have been implemented, including Thranduil, Tauriel, Beorn's Hut and the units of Mirkwood:
- And much more: Aragorn's horse, Thorin's runes, palantir images for the Dwarven custom heroes and of course many more that you can discover for yourself!
Further information were presented in the recent updates:
- Lothlorien, Part 1
- Lothlorien, Part 2
- Queer Lodgings
- The Road to Edain Patch 4.2 - nathla elvellon
- The Road to Edain Patch 4.2 - Ered Mithrin
You may get an impression of Lothlorien in the trailer made by Prinz von Dol Amroth: