2017 was a great year for W3D Hub and 2018 is shaping up to be even better! We've got a whole host of exciting updates to get stuck into, so without further ado, let's get into it!
Here's a short summary of what we achieved last year!
- Work was started on fixing Tiberian Sun: Reborn and is proceeding as planned.
- Development work on Red Alert 2: Apocalypse Rising continued at a great pace (especially in the latter half of the year)
- Expansive Civilian Warfare saw a release on the launcher, which has been mostly a great success!
- Red Alert: A Path Beyond saw a plethora of updates that steadily iterated and added to the gameplay over the course of the year.
- The stats system has been significantly upgraded since the beginning of last year, but the new stats website hasn't been pushed live just yet. We didn't put together the planned media pack that we talked about, but I feel that we are slowly building the player-base up to a good number.
- The download manager went live, but hasn't seen too much use just yet. Hopefully this will change over the course of this year.
- Discord has been running for a while now and has been a great success!
- Integrated chat via IRC was implemented into the launcher! Hopefully we'll look at tightening this up a bit more this year as well!
- The bug tracker is back up and running. If you have issues to report, please submit some bugs for us! We'll be making this more visible in the coming months too!
- Advanced Tags and Prefixes was reinstalled and works as intended!
So with 2017 being a success as far as our plans were concerned, here's what we have planned for 2018!
A New Logo!
First off, we decided that the W3D Hub logo was due a freshen up for 2018, so we've updated it a bit. The layout is still the same, but it now a lot crisper with flat colours on the text that make it look a lot more contemporary. Here's what we have decided to go with:
Over the course of this month, we shall be updating the logo across all of our games, services, and channels; so keep an eye out for it!
New Development Tools (SDK) - Mammoth Editor
We're proud to announce Mammoth; a brand new tool that we're hoping to develop and build on throughout the year. Mammoth is a full replacement for the venerable Commando Level Editor (that shipped with Renegade) that will allow for a much higher degree of flexibility when creating mods and maps on the W3D Engine. Here are a couple of screenshots:
It may look a lot like level edit and that's because it is currently being developed as a reverse engineering of that piece of software, however once that is complete, we can then begin adding some more outlandish features. The viewport controls have already been improved, allowing users to use the RMB and WASD to navigate the viewport and LMB to select objects without changing between view and select modes!
New Development Tools (SDK) - 3DS Max 2017 W3D Export Plugin
After years of using Gmax and 3D Studio Max 8, a new 3D export plugin is finally within our grasp! With this new plugin anybody will be able to export their models and animations from new versions of 3DS Max that are 100% compatible with Windows 10. This is really big for all of us, because it allows us to make use of software that has newer features that are much more powerful (than Gmax and Max 8 are) and easier to use.
Here's a screenshot of the new plugin in Max 2017. It's not quite ready, but we hope to release it sometime this year!
Also, because the new export plugin has been built from the ground up, we can consider the possibility of porting it to other 3D modelling programs. We know that not everyone can get their hands on a copy of 3D Studio Max, so we are also looking at integrating the plugin to work with Blender, which is a popular free software package for 3D modelling.
Much much more!
Come and take a read about the rest of our exciting roadmap on our community forums!
Also a big thankyou to all of the people who play our games and support our community! Your dedication gives us the motivation to keep C&C Renegade modding alive!
Peace Through Power! :)