Modern Warfare Mod brings World in Conflict from the Cold War into the Modern Age. It also ups the ante on realism and authenticity in every role – Infantry, Armor, Support and Air, while trying our best to keep everything relatively balanced for fun and interesting gameplay.

Forum Thread
[SAM-Bug] S-300 PM and Pantsir S1 Always Wasting Their Missile (Games : World in Conflict : Mods : WIC: Modern Warfare Mod : Forum : Bugs : [SAM-Bug] S-300 PM and Pantsir S1 Always Wasting Their Missile) Locked
Thread Options
Aug 13 2012 Anchor

Hello,

Bug description: S-300 PM Heavy SAM and Pantsir S1 always wasting their missile for shooting aircraft that can't even they engage. ( Example: A AH-64 that flying too low, or behind a terrain obstacles ( typo, maybe :p ) )

How to recreate :
1. Set the US Bots to use air role, then start the server
2. Select Russia fraction, and of course, Support Role
3. Buy a pair of S-300 PM SAM, and it's Big Bird radar
4. Turn on the radar, and the SAM
5. Wait until any enemy helicopter go near to the S-300 PM shoot range
6. The SAM shoots it's missile, and missile hits it's target
7. There's a Apache flying TOO LOW ( who knows Canyon map, who know why ), and the S-300 shoots it, and BEFORE it's reached it's target, the missile self-destruct at the top of the launcher. That's annoy me pretty well, since because of that bug, my SAM's missile very quicky to "dead", or reloading.

FOR Pantsir S1:

Same as the S-300 PM, the SAM are wasting their missile for killing enemy heli at very low altitude.

More detail for all: The SAM itself located at a high-cliff, and the heli located below the cliff. And the SAM engage the heli, BUT the missile flies to the sky, without flying to the heli. ( for Pantsir S1 ) And the missile are self-destruct above the launcher, extremly near ( for the S-300 PM ). What a waste of missile. -_-

Ask for videos? I'll make it later IF you asks for it. :)

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Aug 13 2012 Anchor

This isn't a SAM bug, but rather issue with FLINT and the game.

As it turns out, FLINT is incompatible with deep canyon/valley'd maps like do_Valley and md_Canyon. In order to prevent game crash, the missile always checks the altitude from horizon. But on a Canyon/extremely cliff'd map, the altitude difference is too high, so missile will self-destruct automatically.

So, the solution is: don't play Canyon, try on other maps, it will work fine.

Aug 16 2012 Anchor

Ok, thanks :D
Oh yeah, I mean FLINT-Bug, not a SAM-Bug XD

BTW, little Out of Topic

In the FLINT presentation, that the FLINT engine can be used for another games, so, is Battlefield 2 compatible with FLINT? Since BF2 itself using python :)

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Aug 16 2012 Anchor

Obviously it takes time to "port" FLINT to another game, but yes, FLINT can be made to work for other games. There are also FLINT base routines being coded in java as well.

We've been talking about expanding mod to ArmA, but haven't many any decisions..

Edited by: blahdy

Aug 23 2012 Anchor

ArmA... But it's spec are too heavy for my laptop ( ArmA 2 I mean, NOT the original ArmA )
But BTW, can you make for Battlefield 2?
Lot of Battlefield fans loves realism, like me :D

Sep 9 2012 Anchor

i believe that bf2 mod project reality have a vers of flint or the or make up on the system for there mod because u have to have a guy to lase a take before u can hit it with a agm or jdam

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Sep 9 2012 Anchor

Well, FLINT is just our way of simulating missiles on rather arcade'ish game. There are many ways to accomplish the same and many games/mods (including PR) do that already today.

The behavior you're talking about is normal to expect with Semi-Active Laser Homing (SALH) guidance. I haven't played it myself, but do you have to keep the laser on the spot for the missile to guide also?

Edited by: blahdy

Sep 9 2012 Anchor

yup you have to have a guy on the ground to laze the target and then give you the location and how to fly in(form which direction) to hit it right. i believe it is ether a mock up or a whole bunch of borrowed code.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.