Modern Warfare Mod brings World in Conflict from the Cold War into the Modern Age. It also ups the ante on realism and authenticity in every role – Infantry, Armor, Support and Air, while trying our best to keep everything relatively balanced for fun and interesting gameplay.

Forum Thread
[4.2] 9M120 and 9M114 warheads not properly detonating (Games : World in Conflict : Mods : WIC: Modern Warfare Mod : Forum : Bugs : [4.2] 9M120 and 9M114 warheads not properly detonating) Locked
Thread Options
Jan 8 2014 Anchor

Now I know why I can't kill shit since 4.1.1:

Or is this caused by the new guidance algorithm too?

Edited by: cym104

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 8 2014 Anchor

It's a guidance issue -- you can see that the missile detonates after flying past the tank.

There is a potential fix we're working on to address the issue with 9M120 and 9A4172 Vikhr M missiles for next update.

Jan 8 2014 Anchor

There're actually 2 explosions, first one is on the tank with only visual effects(flame and smoke) but no damage effect(tank is neither moved nor damaged), second one is past the tank which also have visual effects but this one is with damage effect too (it leaves a crater on the gound).

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Jan 9 2014 Anchor

cym104 wrote: There're actually 2 explosions, first one is on the tank with only visual effects(flame and smoke) but no damage effect(tank is neither moved nor damaged), second one is past the tank which also have visual effects but this one is with damage effect too (it leaves a crater on the gound).

The first explosion is actually what tripped the Warhead_Detonate() function, which then sends a stream of shrapnel & HEAT effect projectile forward and that caused the second explosion to occur past the tank. But you can see that by the video, the detonation occurs beyond or above the tank. It means the missile actually missed the target completely (hence, guidance issue) and warhead detonated due to impending ground contact.

The problem here is that with the SACLOS guidance implementation, we're supposed to align the missile vertically along the LOS to the target before we fire it, but the current implementation does not do that (implementation error/bug). Because the missile was not vertically aimed along the LOS (in other words, missile was fired straight forward, above the LOS to target, rather than its pitch/vertical axis being aimed to face the target), it forced the missile to steer to get itself on the LOS line, but it could not steer itself in time and thus missed the target completely.

I should have a fix to correct this, it'll be tested soon. It's first time we're implementing a real-world CLOS guidance law in this game, so being that it's our first implementation, it comes with some issues that we weren't able to fully test during development :S

Edited by: blahdy

Jan 9 2014 Anchor

blahdy wrote: But you can see that by the video, the detonation occurs beyond or above the tank. It means the missile actually missed the target completely (hence, guidance issue) and warhead detonated due to impending ground contact.

I noticed that too, and that's why I added that second paragraph. But I always expected the detonation of warhead to be triggered by a function on the missile itself when it detects that it has hit a hard surface(an impact fuse, something that simulates the stand-off probe&fuse on real missiles), instead of something like a command sent over data-link or a time fuse. So I thought if the missile missed the target, then it won't detonate at all before hitting the ground, and that's why I was confused by there being 2 explosions.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.