What if one day, you wake up as a patient in a hospital, without any memory of yourself? What are you going to believe? Or... Who are you going to believe?...
Stuck? Left in darkness? Can't understand the story? Make an appointment for our next session.
Posted by Tanshaydar on Nov 7th, 2011
Here I'd like to help people who got stuck in both gameplay or story-wise. Want me something to add? Ask away!
First of all; White Night is a completely story oriented game. This means, it is not made for scaring people, but it is made for telling a story with an intricate way of story-telling. If you are not going to try to understand the story, explore for the notes and flashbacks; this is likely not for you.
This is a guide for people who got stuck and can't advance in the game or cannot understand the story. This article probably won't spoil anything for you; but if you are an experienced old-school gamer you don't need to read it.
- Don't rush.
- If a door doesn't give you a message like "Stuck", it could be and probably should be unlocked.
- Don't try to break the game. Physics engine is fragile.
There are lots of batteries in the game. If you act lazy and rush the game, you will stuck in darkness. There are more than 30 batteries through the game. They are waiting for you to find them.
- Screwdriver works and opens some places. Try it.
- Check everywhere. Drawers, corners, cabinets etc.
- I took the time to implement a light-switch system.
Puzzles are not hard. They need a little thinking and paying attention. But again, here's some tips.
- In fridge puzzle:
Look at the rope.
Eight buttons corresponds the eight block with six of them numbered.
- In bathtub puzzle:
There is a valve behind the door which flows the cold water to the room.
If you turn the right valve, it gets stuck.
- In phonograph puzzle:
You'll listen the tune from the phonograph and play it on the piano.
Look at your left.
A lot of people came complaining about how story didn't make sense. I'm quite proud with the story I wrote, but when I see people not caring about it saddens me. If you didn't understand the story, it means you either rushed the game or missed some notes/flashbacks. If you miss the notes and/or flashbacks, you won't understand the story.
If you don't try to understand the story, it's highly unlikely for you to understand it.
- There are 19 notes in the game. Find them, and read them.
- There are 5 flashbacks in the game. Try to interact with most of the obvious things.
- Think about the symbolism. What you see, what you are doing, where you are. It all has a connection to it. It all has a purpose being there.