The Great War mod is a total conversion modification for Napoleon: Total War. It creates an authentic representation of World War 1-era tactics, strategies and general warfare within the game. Including stunning new visuals that include entirely new models and textures for equipment, vehicles and more, the mod immerses you into the era with brand new gameplay unlike anything you've experienced in Total War before.

Forum Thread
Installation Guide 6.1 (Games : Napoleon: Total War : Mods : The Great War : Forum : Support : Installation Guide 6.1) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 27 2022 Anchor

If updating from 6.0 make sure to delete all mod files before installing 6.1 as the new beta completely replaces the 6.0 files.

Step 0) Install Napoleon Total War on the C drive of your computer. (If you want to install it on a different drive you will need to use the Napoleon Mod Manager to launch the mod)

Step 1) Download The Great War Mod 6.1 Beta HERE

Step 2) Open the zip file and drag and drop it on the desktop.

unzip1

Step 3) Open the 6.1 folder on the desktop and drag and drop the data folder into the NTW directory so it overwrites the existing data folder.

install2

Step 4) Verify that all the folders are in the right place.
The full path should look like this;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Napoleon Total War\data\The Great War
If done correctly the files in the data folder will look like this;

data2

The files inside the campaigns folder should look like this;

Campaigns1

The files inside the ww1_main folder should look like this;

Campaigns2

The files inside The Great War directory should look like this;

TGWFolder

The files inside Files directory should look like this;

FilesFolder2

Step 6) Run the launcher to play the mod.

The launcher has been updated to show the correct version of the mod now.

Launcher2

Also all of the options are now implemented so you can chose any of these options without causing any issues.

LauncherOptions

**RECOMMENDED SETTINGS**

- Unit Size - Ultra

(make sure to set this in the game settings not in the launcher)

- Campaign Difficulty - Very Hard

(the difficulty options have been changed to normal, hard, very hard and ironman. The campaign is balanced for very hard. Ironman gives the AI extreme income and other bonuses while also reducing income and increasing unrest for the player so be prepared)

- Battle Difficulty - Ironman

(the new difficulty changes only apply to the campaign so setting battles to ironman is the same difficulty as very hard was previously)

**Recommended In Game Settings**

Jul 1 2022 Anchor

Can you add some steps for installation on mac if possible please

Aug 8 2022 Anchor

I tried and when I launched the mod it crashed and said "Total war napoleon stopped working"

Aug 16 2022 Anchor

Can you also have NTW3 installed at the same time, or do you have to remove it from the ntw folder?

Aug 16 2022 Anchor
Colonel_FIERCE wrote:

Can you also have NTW3 installed at the same time, or do you have to remove it from the ntw folder?

It's possible but not recommend because NTW 3 appears to overwrite some vanilla files that TGW uses so we can't guarantee it won't cause more crashing.

Oct 14 2022 Anchor

When I try to launch the mod I get a " The mod could not launch successfully!" "Error: No packs in mod folder! (The launcher could not find the files it needs to install and launch the mod)". Not sure what that means, As I have no other mods installed and have followed instructions lol.

Oct 14 2022 Anchor
  • Ridboii wrote:

When I try to launch the mod I get a " The mod could not launch successfully!" "Error: No packs in mod folder! (The launcher could not find the files it needs to install and launch the mod)". Not sure what that means, As I have no other mods installed and have followed instructions lol.

What drive did you install NTW on?
Oct 21 2022 Anchor

NTW is installed on my native C: drive.

Nov 2 2022 Anchor

i already follow everything you said. but it keeps failing when i try to play from the launcher

Nov 6 2022 Anchor

I'm getting crashes during a battle as final reinforcements of enemy come in. Also, white and sometimes blue spots on screen. Wondering if there is missing textures? Maybe problem with unit reinforcing is causing crash?

Apr 19 2023 Anchor

I have a question, why does Napoleon Total War need to be on the C: Drive in order for the mod to work? Just curious.

Apr 19 2023 Anchor

Because the launcher uses a file path to the mod files being on the C drive. If you use the mod manager then you can install it on any drive.

Apr 25 2023 Anchor

The problem I have is whenever I launch the mod, this message comes up,

"You are missing the following required Vanilla files:
battleterrain.pack
building.pack
building.pack
data.pack
media.pack
patch.pack
patch_media.pack
patch_media2.pack
patch2.pack
patch3.pack
patch4.pack
patch5.pack
patch.6pack
patch7.pack
ridgid models.pack
sound.pack
varientmodels.pack
varientmodels2.pack

The mod will not work without them!"

P.S How do i handle the trauble?

Примечание: у меня нет пакетов расширения или большого опыта работы с модами Total War.

Apr 25 2023 Anchor
I have the Definitive Edition and I played the mod for several weeks (even today i was playing without problems). But now, a message
appears in the launcher as if the game is pirated saying vanilla packfiles are missing. What could be the problem?

I installing and uninstalling both the game and the mod and I checked the files (in Steam) and it didn't detect any errors. But the packfiles
(patch2.pack, patch3.pack, etc.) are not in the game folder after installing the game.

Thanks.

Edited by: Koba17

Apr 25 2023 Anchor

This appears to be caused by the new update CA just released for NTW. We are looking into a solution but for now you can launch the mod using the mod manager instead of the launcher.

Apr 25 2023 Anchor

just buy the game to play this mod.. i redonwloaded yesterday play some hours then update... they kinda made me a bad day.. i try everything. Is good to see a Mod Dev know the situation i hope it gets fix soon.. anyway i try launching the game from the mod manager, but an eternal credit start screen is what i get.. everything is on his site in my folders

Apr 25 2023 Anchor

jafran Happened to me exactly the same. I finally bought the game just a month ago. And BDIZZLE356 thanks for this extraordinary work.

PD: In my case, starting with the Mod Manager doesn't work either.

Edited by: Koba17

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.