Over 22,222 downloads within ten years of release! DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum is a First Person Shooter mod set in an alternate Deus Ex continuity. It features made-from-scratch original content while also extensively featuring material from the UNATCO Born mod (used with permission from fender2k1, UB's project leader) and Deus Ex: Revision (2011 build - used in accordance with the mod's license).

Forum Thread
Poll: When should the mod be released? (37 votes)
Release date - January 1st 2013(?) (Games : Deus Ex : Mods : DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum : Forum : Polls : Release date - January 1st 2013(?)) Locked
Thread Options
Mar 3 2012 Anchor

Greetings, everyone!

Yet another mod developer is trying to back off on his promises concerning the release of the mod! Well, maybe not that drastic, but I'll let you be the judge on that.

As I reflected on my latest newspost, I've taken some different outcomes into account for the release of Deus Ex Nihilum. However, to my absolute delight, I've received plentiful of comments on how people want to have this mod finished - even if the mod would have to be delayed by a few months! While appreciated, the 01/01/2013 release date is already set in stone...

... or is it? I've come up with two scenarios for the matter. In both scenarios, 01/01/2013 is the deadline. Either it's the date when there will be a release no matter what the circumstances, or it's the date on which the finished parts of the mod will have the (remaining) voice acting recorded and the whole thing betatested properly. I think it would be a disservice to the Deus Ex community - as well as the modding community in general - if I ended up finishing the mod half-assedly. My goal is to have the mod finished as it was written down on the Deus Ex Nihilum Continuity Bible in January 2011. As I alluded to in my previous newspost as well as some of my other postings last year, it's not going to be as open-ended as certain other mods (TNM, for instance) because it would take me years to finish the mod in that scenario, but I'm doing my best to make it feel as Deus Ex'y as possible.

So here are the explanations for the poll options:

A) 01/01/2013 - NO exceptions
Regardless of the situation, you want to have the mod released on 01/01/2013. In practice this means that in the best scenario, there will be a fully playable and tested mod with voice acting available on that date. In other scenarios, the mod might be fully finished up to a certain point, in which the mod up to that part would consist of the proper release (with voice acting or not) and I would pack the remaining resources in a separate container. At any rate, the mod would be released on this date without any exceptions.

B) As soon as the voice acting and the final beta testing are done
In practice, I will do my best to have the mod finished by 01/01/2013 but from that date on I will not actively work on the mod any longer. However, I would have all the voice acting completed and following that, the entire mod beta-tested thoroughly as soon as possible. Ideally, this phase wouldn't take that long and there would be a release in the following weeks.

Option B is as far as I'm going to yield on this matter. Some time in the late Summer or early Fall, I'm going to actively start looking for voice actors and start the recording process. As stated earlier in my newspost, at the moment I'm working on the mod chronologically from the first level onwards, so that in whatever scenario there would be a chance to make a consistent release.

But now, the choice is yours. What do you think? This poll will be active until the end of this month, so be sure to cast your vote as quick as you can!

Edited by: FastGamerr

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.