FAQ - Please read before asking anything!
- All the races, creatures, characters and locations from the books are planned to be in MERP.
- There will be many quests to partake in: the Ringbearer questline where you can play the role of Ringbearer as Frodo Baggins, a White Council questline where you can accomplish quests during the war from its many famous members, or simply free-roam to your heart's delight.
- We are planning a dynamic timeline where many famous events from the books, as well as events you've never seen before, will be occurring all around you! Perhaps you may be able to stop some of them? It'll take multiple playthroughs for you to see it all!
- There is no designated evil campaign, nor playable evil races, planned in the near future. The servants of Shadow (Orcs, Trolls, Uruk-hai, Ringwraiths, etc.) are bound to Sauron's will and without free will. Perhaps Evil Men (such as Dunlendings, Easterlings, Haradrim, etc.) will be playable (but no time soon!).
- We are an all volunteer, not for profit organisation. We cannot accept donations of any kind otheriwse we will ahve an issue with the owners of the rights to LOTR content. Please do not ask about finance.
- Magic will not be in a form similar to Skyrim or other TES games. It will appear in a minimal form, be it a minor racial power or elven 'magic'. The only people with access to true magic will be the 5 wizards, who will not be playable.
- The starting point of the beta releases will be prior to the War of the Ring. They will be background story for each of the rlease regions encouraging the player to start new games and play as each race, so you know what is going on before the main quest-line is added in MERP 1.0
- We won't be including any music from the films due to copyright reasons. (We also cannot distribute it freely as that would be illegal)
- There will not be an evil compaign, mainly due to the fact that the 'evil' races are not free-folk. Orcs are bound to the will of sauron and so therefore do not have a choice in their 'story' so playing them would be rather pointless and dull. As for other evil races such as the Haradrim, probably not, but we are still unsure at this time.
- The main quest-line for the first MERP release will begin near to the 12th April, 3018 (the day that Gandalf comes to Bag End to tell Frodo about the Ring ); and end on the 22nd september, 3018 (10 days after Frodo leaves Hobbiton)
- In the first (0.1) release, there will be a heavy influence of the war between the armies of the rohirrim, and the Dunlendings under the control of Saruman.
Due to us being a modding team and not a games development company, we do have other jobs and RL problems to attend to. This means that sometimes we have to wait for some people to be free before certain things can be finished, therefore this can halt releases. This is why we do not give out any specific release dates, as even we don't know when we will be ready with a release. When a release is imminent, then you will know!
All of our releases are planned to be fully voice acted. The VA will mostly be mostly done by amateurs, but that does not necessarily mean bad. Those people who have applied on our forum as voice actors have their names on a list and will be contacted when we get to the point of needing them. If you would like to do VA for MERP please post an application over on our forum with a sample of your work. Some of the VA will be done by our own team members too; some playing main characters, others just as cameo appearances as minor NPC's. If you have any questions converning voice acting that are not covered here, please ask. Do not ask about when VA's will be called on, as we do not yet know.