Defend Unreal Territories is a new gametype for Unreal Tournament 3. The concept was created taking inspiration from Warcraft Tower Defense. The goal is to prevent hordes of monsters from reaching an objective. Firstly, the players' team will struggle on foot with conventional weapons. Then the players will be able to unlock bonuses (new abilities and objects) thanks to the points won each time a monster is killed. New abilities will enable the players to be faster, have more life and make more damage. The players may be helped by automatic turrets.
DEFEND UNREAL TERRITORIES Revision : 467 Date: November 14th, 2009 URL: www.defend-ut.com
Defend Unreal Territories 's Team:
Josselin "Ethern1ty" CORNOU - Programmer, UI engineer
Chris "Liquid" B. - Level designer, Programmer
Sylvain "drakeslayer" POINTUD - Level designer, Programmer
I - INTRODUCTION
"Defend Unreal Territories" (DUT) is a mod for Unreal Tournament 3, based on
the Unreal universe: the team players have to keep the invaders away from the
portal which drives to the Earth. Each time a player kills a monster, he earns
money. This money can be used to buy sentinels to improve the team's firepower,
and to boost some of the player's capabilities: he will be faster, his strength
will be increased, etc.
Please note that our mod is (still) a beta release - the code is dirty,
functionalities aren't all implemented, and everything you see may change in a
Some external features have been integrated in our mod - Thanks to each of them
for giving us such content!
* [Map] DUT-Tower : made by Loïc "Darknigthmare" Basques
* [Bot] KaT-031283MAA, v1.1 : made by iWaNN
* [Bot] GoB-BA, v1.1 : made by iWaNN
#### Feel free to contact us, we'll be happy to include your models & ideas
#### in our mod!
Keep you informed on our Website: www.defend-ut.com!
II - INSTALLATION
In order to play our MOD, you have to unpack the archive into the following dir:
1 - Windows:
C:\Users\"Your Name"\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\
2 - Server configuration:
Our mod has a beginning replication, so network games does'nt work for now.
You can play with friends, everyone can buy weapons, ammunitions , health, armor
and most of the player's improvements. The player who host the game can spawn
You have to edit the "Launch DefendUnrealTerritories" shortcut and enter the path
of your UT3.exe
You can create a link pointing to your executable with this options if you want
to bypass the classic way of launching the game :
ories -nomoviestartup --mod=
With the full path of your executable and the name
of the DUT map you want to launch (for example : DUT-Colony or DUT-Ruins).
III - FEATURES
* 26 waves of invading monsters, giving you money to purchase items
* 6 fully playable maps
* Possible change of the Hud color and keyboard shortcuts with 'F5' key
* Purchase of capabilities, weapons, ammunitions, powerups and turrets with
the 'B' key (choose your category and items with mouse or keyboard)
* Spawn a turret with the 'P' key once you've bought a turret. If you have
enought money, 'P' again will upgrade your turret (damage, fire rate, SIZE!)
* Show the path towards the Portal with the 'N' key
* .ini files to change some settings :
UTDefendUnrealTerritoriesKey.ini => Buy options
UTDUTWaveManager.ini => Wave settings
* And more! Play the game to see them all =)
IV - KNOWN BUGS
* Sometimes, monsters try to spawn on the same NavigationPoint at the same
time, causing the second to be killed instantly.
* Sometimes, the turret's controller doesn't spawn in the turret.
* Sometimes, the player getting out of a manual turret will reappear at his
* And... more here too :(. Please report at at email@example.com
V - CHANGELOG
422 => Now
* Updated: Addind key to cancel turret pop (O by default)
* Fixed: Auto turrets can't die
* Added: Total conversion
* Added: pieces of replication (network) code to play on LAN/Internet
* Updated: behaviour of the pointer while placing a turret
* Updated: class for turrets base actors
* Fixed: centered position of the turret on its base
* Fixed: can't pawn more than one turret per base
* Fixed: base actors for turrets only accepts turrets on it
* Fixed: collision problem between turrets and their base actors
* Updated: the turrets upgrade system
* Fixed: Z-position issue when trying to use a SlowVolume
* Fixed: this readme!
416 => 422
* Updated: code indentation for better readability
* Fixed: huge bug making the game to end _way_ quickly
354 => 416
* Updated: better handling of the end of the game - WIP
* Updated: lots of stuff to our monsters & waves to make the game more pleasant
* Deleted (really!): annoying Multikill messages
* Updated: better score panel
* Updated: initial player money set to $50
* Added: ability to send dozens of mobs in the same wave
* Updated: buying a turret involves new graphics & third-person view
* Fixed: Kralls are fully functional
* Added: variants of existing custom bots
* Added: external characters from iWaNN
* Added: 3 deployable items (EMP mine, Slow Volume (my favorite!), Shield)
* Updated: pieces of Replication - WIP
* Added: base actors for turrets - usage required in a future release
* Added: 3-D path towards the Portal when pressing a key (N by default)
* Added: minimap symbol "P" for the Portal
* Updated: prices of purchasable items
* Updated: some internal files renamed for easier understanding
* Fixed: a few minor bugs
* Fixed: again, some english mistakes
338 => 354
* Fixed: some English mistakes
* Fixed: wrong message appearing when trying to buy a turret without cash
* Fixed: buy of weapons ammo - pack , infinite, all
* Updated: UIScene label in DefendUnrealTerritoriesContent.upk
* Fixed: enforcer purchase
* Fixed: bot spawning problem
* Updated: buying a weapon gives you full ammo.
VI - ROAD MAP
Our final goal is to provide a fully-enjoyable gameplay experience with the
Unreal Tournament 3 engine and the TD ideas. This includes:
* More control concerning how (where) to place turrets
* Creation of some special volumes which will only block mobs
* Creation of a placeable WaveManager actor in the DUT-maps
* Upgrading turrets
* Creation of new waves and new mobs.
* And a lot more, keeping changing with our ideas & goals...
VII - THANKS
* Our special thanks go to Elix!
* Our thanks go to Florent, Galtanor, RBTTInvasion team, MonsOlympus, Xod,
Filrip, iWaNN and many others...