Prepare to see the most disturbing, sadistic and morbid manifestation of violence that you ever seen in your life. This is the definitive gameplay enhancement mod for the GZDoom and Zandronum engines. Warning: After you see it, it cannot be unseen!
Complete list of all possible errors and questions that you may find about this mod. If a question is not in this list, make it, and I will add it.
Posted by Sergeant_Mark_IV on Dec 15th, 2012
STEP BY STEP INSTALATION
First of all, you need the original game. You need either a DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD, etc. There are thousands of ways to get it. You can download it at Steam for US$10,00. Or you can look for a torrent at the Pirate Bay to download it, or search for it at Abandongames. Anyway, just find the original Doom game for PC.I am not sure if you can make it work with the BFG Edition. I heard rumors that there's a way to extract the main wads from it to use in the sourceports, but I can not confirm.
1) You need a ZDoom derivated sourceport to run it. You can use Zandronum or GZDoom.
2) Install Zandronum or GZDoom in your hard drive. After it, go to the directory that you have the original doom games installed and copy and paste our DOOM.WAD/DOOM2.WAD files in the sourceport folder.
3) Choose the Brutal Doom version you want. Download it, and put it in your sourceport folder.
4) If you are a Windows user, drag and drop the Brutal Doom file over your .exe file. If you are a Mac or Linux user, put Brutal Doom in the skins folder (create a folder named Skins at your sourceport's directory if a folder called Skins doesn't exists).
5) Done. Now go to options, mouse options and enable mouselook. Go to customize controls and map your keyboard how you want (movement in WASD, crouch on Ctrl, jump os SPACEBAR, Open Doors in E, etc.) Also, make sure that you have assigned a key for alt fire (preferably, Right Mouse button). This key is required to use the weapon's alt modes (iron sights, plasma shotgun, minigun spin, etc.)If you want to play with a map pack (Doom2realoaded, Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed, Memento Mori, etc.) just download the pack, and use the Ctrl button to select multiple objects. Then drag and drop the Brutal Doom pk3 AND the map file together. The same applies if you are wanting to use Brutal Doom's mutators.
There's also another way to make it work without needing to drag and drop files (in case you are a Linux/Mac user and can't do it). Search your sourceport folder for a file called GZdoom.ini or Zandronum.ini. Open it with notepad, and look for a section named [Doom.AutoExec]. Under it, put the name of a wad/pk3 after "Patch=".It will look like something like this:
By this way, you can load custom map packs too. The load order is determined by the file position. Top files are loaded first, and bottom files are loaded after, and will overwrite anything with the same value in the first files.
2) I can't start the game, and I get a message that says "AVOIDMELEE is an unknown flag".
A: It means that you are trying to play the GZDoom version of the mod in the Zandronum sourceport. You must download the correct version.
3) I am playing in ZDoom/GZDoom and I can't start the game, and I get a message that says "SERVERSIDEONLY is an unknown flag".
A: It means that your GZDoom sourceport is outdated. Brutal Doom v18 requires version 1.7.0 or higher.
4) I can't start the game, and I get a message that says "THRUACTORS is an unknown flag".A: It means that you are trying to play it in the Skulltag sourceport. Skulltag support has been discontinued since version 0.17. Download Zandronum, which is Skulltag's successor.
5) I'm trying it on GZDoom, but it has no sound.
A: It's a problem with GZDoom itself. It might not be recognizing your audio drivers. Use Zandronum instead.
--ENGINE RELATED PROBLEMS--
1) Sprites seems to be halfway cut in the ground.A: Go to Options > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Preferences > Adjust Sprite Clipping - ALWAYS
2) Blood is looking strange. It keeps flickering in the ground, and sometimes I can see the blood pools thru the corpses.A: Go to Options > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Preferences > Smooth Sprite Edges - ALWAYS
3) I am playing in OpenGL mode, but graphics still looks too crispy.A: Go to Options > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Texture Options > Texture Filtering - LINEAR
4) I have updated the mod and now I can't load a saved game.A: You can't. It's impossible to load a previously saved game in a more recent build of a mod.
5) (GZDoom Only) It seems like there are two Reload functions in the key menu. One at the top, and other at the bottom. Which one should I use?A: You must use the bottom one. When I started this mod, the engine didnt supported a dedicated key for reloading, so I had to create my own. Now that they oficially added a reload key for mods, it's not going to work with Brutal Doom's reload system.
6) When playing on Multiplayer in ZDoom/GZDoom the game lags too much.A: You are not supposed to play the ZDoom/GZDoom version on multiplayer. If you want to play Brutal Doom on Multiplayer, you must use the Zandronum version. Use the Doomseeker tool to find the Brutal Doom servers.
--FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS---
1) Can I run it on Doomsday engine?
A: No. Brutal Doom requires advanced script languages called DECORATE and ACS. Doomsday engine and its derivates (JDoom, Risen3D, etc) doesn't support this kind of scripts.But if you only wants to play in the Doomsday engine due it's superior graphics, there's a OpenGL hack that emulates the Doomsday engine's post processing lightning effects. You can download it here Mediafire.com
Extract the content of this folder directly into your GZDoom/Zandronum folder.Warning: This will require a lot of GPU power and will greatly decrease your FPS if you have an old computer. If it lags too much for you, you can revert it by just removing these 2 files from your sourceport folder.
Also, this is just an experimental hack, and my now work right or might cause some visual glitches depending of your GPU.
2) How to perform a fatality?
A: Get a Berserk Pack (the black Medikit) and you will able to perform fatalities on any enemies by punching them to death. The effect lasts for the entire level, so to continue Ripin'n'tearing enemies in the next level, you will need to find another Berserk Pack.If you want to disable fatalities, just press the R key with the fists selected and it will enter the Smash Mode. In this mode, enemies are gibbed like in Normal Doom when you kill them with berserk punches.
3) How to use a Human Shield?
A: When an Imp or Zombieman is greviously injured, you just need to punch him. Just aim at his chest because if you aim at his head, you will kill him instead. Also, you need a Berserk Pack to use human shields.
4) How to get the Mancubus and the Revenant weapons?
A: Find a chainsaw and use it to rip the weapons out of the dead bodies.
5) My Framerate is geting bellow the 30fps.
A: Reduce your resolution. If even reducing to super low resolutions like 640x480 doesnt help, unfortunately, all I can tell you is to get a better computer. Doom can be a 20 year old game, but if you want to play Brutal Doom always at 60fps, you will require at least a dual core, 2gb of RAM, and 256mb gpu. Let's say, if your computer can't run Battlefield 3 or Skyrim in minimum settings above 45fps, you are going to have a bad time to play Brutal Doom in levels with lots of enemies.As last resort, you can use the Janitor Addon, which reduces the time that blood and ammo cases stays in the ground. This addon will greatly improve your performance if you are playing it in a Pentium 4 or a computer with DDR2 or lower ram.
6) Where can I download high quality music and texture packs?
High Quality music: Youtube.com
High Quality Sound Effects: Perkristian.net
High Definition Textures: Dhtp.freelanzer.com
Download and unzip, then put everything inside the Skins folder.
7) Where can I download good map packs to play with Brutal Doom?
Doom 2 Reloaded: Doomworld.com
Alien Vendetta: Doomworld.com
Kama Sutra: Doomworld.com
Whispers of Satan: Doomworld.com
Eternal Doom: Doomworld.com
8) Do you have any plans of brutalizing other Doom Engine games such as HeXen, Heretic, and Strife?
A: Yes, in a far future.
9) Do you make maps?
A: Yes. Check here: Doomworld.com
I work hard on Brutal Doom, and if you want to send me any donations to show your gratefulness, send it to my PayPal account and I will be very grateful. The PP email is firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks for playing.
If you have more questions that haven't been listed, post it here.