The definitive gameplay enhancement mod for the GZDoom and Zandronum engines. Adds realistic gore, dismemberments, headshots, executions, lightning effects, particles, makes enemies smarter and harder, makes gun louder and beefier, and adds epic new boss battles.
***PROJECT BRUTALITY 2.03 IS NOW LIVE*** Project Brutality is back and it is bigger, better, and more badass than ever before. This is the highest quality expansion of content for Brutal Doom v20b that capitalizes on breaking new ground in terms of gameplay, features, weapons, enemies, balance, visuals, sound, and so much more. Now with Zandronum 3.0 support, multiplayer is a feature. Each weapon and monster was carefully chosen, edited, programmed, and animated to feel alive and fit perfectly and consistently into the lore and world of Brutal Doom. And the best part- YOU choose how you want to play. With a wide variety of options, presets, and game modes, Project Brutality has something to offer to any and all Brutal Doom fans out there. Refer to the detailed, NEW AND IMPROVED, easy-to-follow PDF guide to setting up your Project Brutality experience! I plan on new content updates and add-ons releasing periodically so make sure you track this mod's page and follow it closely!
USER NOTICE: Do NOT load the compatibility patches unless you are choosing to play the respective wad. For example, only use the VALIENT PATCH when you play the full version VALIENT wad. Else you will have bugs.
It is a new year, and a new version of Project Brutality is now available for the DOOM community to enjoy. This is the ultimate Brutal Doom expansion pack, that adds tons of new content into the game that infinitely increases replay value. Every single feature- weapons, monsters, player abilities, sound, visuals- were all carefully developed and crafted to guarantee the ultimate brutal doom experience. Project Brutality is the single most extensive mod that stays true to the lore of Brutal Doom and lets the players themselves choose however they wish to experience Brutal Doom.
Menu, Features, & Information:
Project Brutality allows the player to choose however they wish to play brutal doom. With a wide variety of options, presets, game modes, you’ll never experience the same play-through twice. Let’s first discuss the new Menu Options and Features:
The “Project Brutality” option in the main menu or option menu will take you to exclusive settings from where you can customize many features that affect your game.
This is where you can customize your game from a number of ways, ranging from visual effects, to gameplay features, and even what you’ll encounter in the game world. Refer to the following for information on the settings that this sub-menu consists of, starting with the spawn presets.
You can even customize individual monster spawns, abilities, and weapon spawns as well!
2. Game Settings- These various options are here for you to configure and toggle things to your very own preferences.
3. Rendering Settings- Here you can select the amount of decals that will appear throughout a level, or set it to no limit. You can also toggle off the blood, liquid, and pain effects that appear on your screen in-game.
Before starting your game, make sure you set your key bindings, as Project Brutality features new hot keys for grenades, quick punching, throwing proximity mines, and, most importantly, WEAPON SPECIALS! (More into this later).
Starting a New Game
Project Brutality features 3 different game modes: “Project Brutality”, “Classic v20”, and “Traditional”
The first game mode option is the full Project Brutality experience, with no restrictions on the weapon spawns, the monster item drops, the player, nor the player’s weapon arsenal. This is recommended for first-time players who wish to experience all of the unique weapons, features, complete Project Brutality experience!
The second game mode changes everything into an enhanced edition of the Brutal Doom v20b we’ve all played. This mode uses exclusive weapons restricted in the player’s arsenal to match the feel and balance of Brutal Doom v20b. Additionally, this prohibits the player from performing many of Project Brutality’s advanced player and weapon features, such as double-tap dodging, weapon specials and new secondary firemodes, proximity mines, etc. This is for those that prefer a more classic Brutal Doom experience.
The third game mode takes Doom back to what it originally was: you, your guns, and your speed. This is strictly the classic Doom arsenal (balanced to fit the mod) with all of the advanced features of Brutal Doom and Project Brutality stripped away. This means no reloading, no ADS, no weapons specials, no kicking, fatalities, etc. This is designed to by a classic-style experience and remain true to what Doom stands for.
***Note that game modes do not directly effect spawn presets, which means you may still fight Project Brutality monsters and what not, just their weapon drops will be designed to fit the game mode.
Weapon Information (Details in PDF)
With the expanded variety and enhanced abilities of the monsters in Project Brutality, it is only fair that you’ll be using the most advanced, balanced, and powerful arsenal to ever grace the face of the Doom universe. Each weapon was carefully edited, modified, balanced, stress-tested, and programmed to be the most badass, visually consistent, and heavy-hitting arsenal to ever be featured in the Brutal Doom lore. The look, sound, and overall feel of the weapons feel “alive” in a sense, and are guaranteed to be satisfying.
Each and every weapon in Project Brutality has a secondary fire mode as well as a brand-new “Weapon Special” function. This is unique to every weapon, and can range from dual wielding, selecting fire-modes, tertiary fire, etc. Do take note of this, as this will greatly increase your odds of survival against the hell you are about to face.
Monster Information (Details in PDF)
The monsters in Project Brutality were designed to bad-ass, consistent with Doom, fair & balanced, challenging, and smart. The monster AI is unlike anything you've seen from regular brutal doom.
- New variants of every creature in doom, all fully brutalized with unique deaths and fatalities, and all have unique and deadly abilities
- Imps can climb on ceilings and ambush you, Mini-gun Commandos will duck and allow enemies to shoot over them while they provide cover fire, Archviles can heal an area of enemies, the Revenant has the ability to use a jetpack (inspired by the Doom reveal), Pinky Demons and Lost Souls will attempt to flank you, and this is barely scratching the surface of what the AI can offer to challenge the player
- Well over one-hundred new deaths, fatalities, brutalizations, and more for each and every creature featured in this mod.
- And the best part, you can choose what you'll face. You decide fight from just classic v20 monsters, to all new varieties of monsters.
Demonstrating the dual wielding mechanics
Aiming down the sights of the UAC Compact SMG
Slide Kicking to avoid enemy fire
Heavy grenade launcher vs. two Cyber Baron of Hells
New Plasma gun vs. a revenant using his jetpack
Shot-gunning dark imps in a cave
Hell Knight Charge/Pounce Attack
I really hope you enjoy this mod as much as I have making it, and explore all of the features it has to offer.
Hotfixes for version 2.03:
- Fixed unintentional secondary explosion from frag grenades
- Fixed unintentional secondary damage radius from proximity mines
- Fixed an issue with monsters attacking proximity mines that damaged them
- Fixed the issue with shooting the dual auto-shotguns while reloading would make the other one disappear
- Fixed the inconsistency with Dual SSGs and the single SSG in Project Brutality
- Fixed an issue with the BFG MKIV light tube displaying incorrectly when switching to and from the gun
- Fixed weird footstep sounds
- Fixed revolver disable option not working
- Fixed not autswitching when picking up a single revolver/carbine
- Added chainsaw wall mark decals for when you hit the wall with a chainsaw
- Added more shrapnel to the Fragmentation Rounds of the Heavy Grenade Launcher
- Fixed minor visual glitch with the silenced pistol
- Removed the "MissileMore" flag from brown imps (less spam now)
- Reduced the max damage on all former human tracers by 1 point
- Fixed an issue with the Kamikaze being unkillable with non-hitscan weapons, reduced his health, and reduced the damage inflicted from his suicide bomb explosion
- KNOWN ISSUE: Zandronum multiplayer weapon pickups not respawning. This is because Project Brutality has a spawner actor that spawns weapons in the place of where normal weapons in a level will spawn (in order to determine the correct item for the spawn preset or game mode) hence, that is the issue. I'll look into it later. Just be aware of it for now though.
Project Brutality artwork credits: Black Metal Chainsaw