I have been maintaining and working on ASoD essentially on my own for a total of about a year, and I have decided that, since I do not intend to add any more content to the game, that it is probably time to release my position as maintainer.
First Things First
The ModDB page for these releases of among seas of dust will remain up! However, if you want to develop ASoD the source code (which has always been open source) is indeed available, and I would love to see someone else pick up on the project.
First let me warn you I cuss in my comments :). However, let me go over what the major .java files do so you can enter with a heads up...
- Main.java - Controls the game loop, collision logic, universe creation, and is the master rendering point (everything else only gets rendered if Main says to).
- HUD.java - Controls your HUD for the game, as well as docking and buying/selling. Basically any of the interface that does not involve simply rendering PNG files.
- Rat.java - In EVE, we call NPCs "Rats", so I named my NPC class after them. It controls NPC rendering and behavior as well as their faction crap.
- cosmos.java - This stores objects in space. They could be planets, they could be NPC groups, anything. It is only used once to create the array Space which defines the entire universe. Defining the universe is done at the start of Main.java after the Form is initialized.
- Bullet.java - Duh.
- IO.java - Controls loading and saving where the player is in space, their money, and stuff.
- Player.java - Player stuff.
- Ship.java - Player ship.
There are some minor files but their file names are very self explanitory.
Get the Code
The latest release's jarfile SHOULD contain all the java code you need as well as resources. However, you can also check out from SVN.
svn checkout Asod.dev.java.net asod --username username
You should be able to log in as anonymous. If you have any problems getting the code simply email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and those will be over. Also, if you have any questions on the code itself feel free to email me.
I think I've written a fair starting platform for a 2D space game, now its up to you to do what you want to expand it.