Yesterday on Tuesday, February the 24th, Valve has held to their promised release date for the new Scout Updates! Though huge game changes and new implementations such as these don't always go through without some sort of issues. The update had created a bug where a Spies backstab would instantaneously crash the server. Valve has allegedly fixed this issue already but it was a pain in the ass at first to figure out what was crashing servers.
Many of you already know the lineup for the Scout unlockables, but in case you're not sure yet, here is a list with their new features!
Unlocking the Milestone 1 Achievement awards the Scout with a new Shotgun called, the "Force'A'Nature". This gun is basically a sawed-off shotgun that has two bullets in the chamber and can knock back enemies when hit, and will also push the scout in the opposite direction of which he is aiming. You can use it to triple jump to higher places that the scout couldn't normally reach before, and you can also use it to double-jump if you have the second unlockable equipped.
Unlocking the Milestone 2 Achievment awards the Scout with a new Bat Melee weapon replacement, called "The Sandman". This baby is a classic wooden bat that allows you to pound baseballs at enemies, stunning them when directly hit. It can even stun enemies who are currently being Ubercharged. The amount of time a player is stunned for depends on how far the ball flew through the air before hitting the enemy. But be careful, Enemy scouts can hit the ball back! The main drawback to this weapon is that you lose your ability to double-jump, so this is where you use your "Force-A-Nature" to compensate.
"Bonk Energy Drink"
Unlocking the Milestone 3 Achievement awards the Scout with a new Pistol replacement, called an "Bonk Atomic Punch" Energy Drink. This juice will practically make you invulnerable to enemy fire for about 3/4 seconds though you cannot shoot while under the effects of this highly energetic tonic. ;) This perfectly allows you to either run by a sentry without dying, or you can even use it to distract sentries just long enough for your team to run in and destroy engineer buildings. Though this does come with the aftereffects of "crashing" which makes the Scout run slower for about 3/4 seconds after your juiced up phase.
More updates were also added to the game, including a few new custom map additions, spy and engineer mini-updates, and a few bug fixes.
The official Valve TF2 Update Information-
"Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:"
- Added The Force-A-Nature, The Sandman, and Bonk!
- Added 35 new Scout achievements
- Added crit boosted on/off sound effects
- Added new sounds for upgraded teleporters
- Added new sound for a fully charged medic dying
- Add bonus points section to scores
- Scouts earn a bonus point for killing Medics who are actively healing a target
- Added several new speech concepts, mostly hooked up to new Scout lines
- Added new "Remember last weapon between lives" option to the Multiplayer Advanced dialog
- Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon
- Added several new Arena mode announcer speech events.
- Added "First Blood" to Arena mode
- Removed 2x item respawn times in arena
- Changed backstab handling to fix facestabs
- Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies
- Added community maps: cp_egypt, arena_watchtower, and cp_junction
- Updated cp_fastlane with Arttu's new version
- Added new input for forward speed modifier to FuncTrainTrain
- Added TeleportToPathTrack input to func_tracktrain
- Fixed a bug where players would sometimes gib from non-gib damage kills
- Fixed stat screen showing an entry for a class called "map."
- Fixed item model panels not using team skins
- Fixed obscure bug where spectators were able to carry the flag