BioShock is a shooter unlike any you've ever played, loaded with weapons and tactics never seen. You'll have a complete arsenal at your disposal from simple revolvers to grenade launchers and chemical throwers, but you'll also be forced to genetically modify your DNA to create an even more deadly weapon: you. Injectable plasmids give you super human powers: blast electrical currents into water to electrocute multiple enemies, or freeze them solid and obliterate them with the swing of a wrench.
(Test version 7 inside! Bug found in 6.0) The focus of this mod is on increasing the game's lackluster difficulty and balancing the different possible routes of gameplay. Be prepared, this mod is much more difficult than Bioshock 1.1. Change log in RAR. The following issues are address (among others): - Plasmid and ADAM costs, and increasing difference between harvesters and gatherers - Economy, by decreasing their drop rates of Ammo/cash/hypo's/components and increasing purchase prices - Hacking, by increasing the flow speed, increasing it's rewards, and strengthening security - Security, by increasing bot/turret/camera health, increasing security reaction time and increasing security's offensive power - AI, by tweaking various AI movements, localized damage, increasing health and damage - Weapons, by increasing damage of underpowered weapons, decreasing damage of underpowered weapons, and addressing ammo concerns - Various bugfixes, including several brought about by the 1.1 patch
Here's a test version of 7.0, enjoy guys.
Hacking isn't much different in this package, except for a few mild tweaks. I will probably release another version over the next month or two containing the hacking changes before I release the final version.
I officially state that Health changes don't work and I'm sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment. HOWEVER I can increase their damage resistances to make foes harder, I've already tested and confirmed it so stay tuned :)
For those who continue to use version 6.0, do NOT purchase cigarettes in vending machines, they will cause the game to crash.*
I've compiled a list of changes accrued while working on this mod. Most changes present in the game should be listed to some degree within the changelog (included in RAR file). If you have any suggestions or complaints I am open to your comments, but please if you do I would appreciate criticism WITH examples and/or actual HELP with wading through the HUNDREDS OF PAGES OF INI FILES. I'm very open to help so let me know if you can or wish to. REMEMBER that I'm VERY limited in what I can do when modding is concerned because the developers did NOT release an SDK and I am currently pushing the limits of what I can do with the INI files contained within the CONFIG.LBF file.
* Yes there is a difference between balance and difficulty. You can have a game which is very easy yet extremely imbalanced, and the same is true for the reverse. I have taken painstaking measures to ensure that my mod encompasses both of these aspects. If you feel something is too easy or too hard, please let me know. If you think something is completely imbalanced, mispriced, let me know.
* This mod is much harder than the standard Bioshock. Be warned! For truly challenging gameplay, disable Vita chambers as well as auto aim. ;)
* Loot, ammo and hypos are much harder to find. This mod has become more of a survivalist mod. Scrounge what you can, and be careful. Waste not, want not.
* Plasmids are more expensive. Tonics are more expensive. Slots are more expensive. As a result, you must spend your ADAM wisely and specialize. You will not have enough ADAM to upgrade every category or use every type of tonic.
* Security can be your friend... DON'T piss it off. Don't underestimate it either--it can also be your worst enemy.
* 2k has made certain aspects of early decks harder than some "middle of the run" decks--turrets and bots are a good example of this. Also, certain things seem to stall and not increase in difficulty for a few levels, then suddenly increase by a great deal. GENERALLY, I have implemented a progressive trend of difficulty "per deck", so overall "Per Deck" instances are changed in a manner which makes it harder as the player progresses in the game.
* Many times I will mention the word DECK when referring to the levels in Bioshock. In the configuration files, this is how they are labeled. There are 7 main decks in this game. Deck 1 is Medical. Deck 2 is Fisheries + Smuggler's Hideout. Deck 3 is Arcadia + Farmer's Market. Deck 4 is Fort Frolic. Deck 5 is Haephestus + Ryan's Office. Deck 6 is Apolo square + Hestia Chambers. Deck 7 is Fontaine Futuristics. Deck 7+ is the Prooving Grounds + Final Fight.
* There is some sort of rounding error in Bioshock that won't let me set certain plasmids and tonics to certain round costs. As a result, some plasmids may cost 241 instead of my desired 240. This can also occur with vending items. If you see something like this please let me know where you see it so I can attempt to fix it.
* If you find yourself having problems with ammo, try switching to your wrench for a little while, or use telekinesis. Also try making a few piles of loot on every level instead of leaving things behind.
* Headshots are effective. USE THEM!
* If you want any of my modding files or lists, please let me know.