Forum Thread
Voting for the best 2006 MOD (Forums : Support : Voting for the best 2006 MOD) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
AMoFo
AMoFo Member- Devoted to None, Loyal to One
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

I have to comment that in your voting for the best 2006 mod, I decided to register after reading that a guest vote only counts in the event of a tie, which I thought was fairly bogus in and of itself, but OK, I registered.

After registering, I see:

So... now I know that as a registered user, my vote means NADA until I come back 10 times AND that, if I voted as a guest, that voted would of meant more if you had a tie??

Where do I vote for a site having crappy votes?
Surely you can prevent false votes (I read this as duplicate voting) in a different way, cookies then maybe by GUID and recording who voted and when?
Also, You should warn of the 10 time visit thing before someone registers.

I am sure someone meant well, but you may want to rethink this process/verbage as it is slightly offensive.
Take it or leave it, from a newly registered member.
Thanks

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

And there's nothing wrong with you registering ONLY to vote? I find that offensive, but whatever.

--

Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Log in and out 10 times. Congratulations, you are now able to vote. Give yourself a big ol' pat on the back.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Sallycin
Sallycin Mystical
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Yeah, is it really required to log in/log out ten times to prevent false votes? Att least reduce it a bit.

--

AMoFo
AMoFo Member- Devoted to None, Loyal to One
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Why would it be offensive for me to register to vote, and here I thought I was doing the desireable thing.
I guess that was mistake 1,
And posting a suggestion, or complaint, to better the site?
Mistake number 2,

Logging in and out 10 times,
Hmmm mistake 3 maybe?

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

I guess logging out and not back in would be the one thing you do right!

--

bugsport
bugsport Shing.... Sparkle Sparkle
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

AMoFo
this is a community of modders and people who are affiliated with mods
we want you to contribute here
Registering for the sole purpose of voting is kind of an insult to us.
and i stand with BlckWyerve's opinion that you should not be here if you dont want to contribute. voting on moddb for mod of the year is to be considered a priviledge as you are considered a peer of these people/ us.
however i dont approve with the how angry Blck is getting

--

You Know It is True Because It Is A Fact
close mindedness and ignorance cause death. I'm a murderer

Sticky wrote: I have no drug habits to speak of, except that I'm hooked on phonics.

User Posted Image

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Sarcastic remarks != anger, just FYI.

--

Stuffie
Stuffie Mod DB Star * !
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Please Note. As you are a new Mod DB member, your vote will ONLY count once you have visited the site at least 10 times. This measure is in place to prevent false votes.

As far as I can see/read/understand .. all this means is that your vote will COUNT after visiting ten times, not that you cannot vote until you have been here ten times.. and if you are not going to visit moddb more than ten times between now and the end of december then why should the vote count any more than a guests.

--

Stuffie
User Posted Image

bugsport
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

BlckWyerve wrote: Sarcastic remarks != anger, just FYI.

im actually not being sarcastic.
i really meant that.
i dont think he should be here

--

Sticky wrote: I have no drug habits to speak of, except that I'm hooked on phonics.

User Posted Image

methy
methy Is he black, is he not?
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

bugsport wrote:

i really meant that.

I think Blck is saying that he wasn't getting angry, just sarcastic. Hell, Stuffie says it best.

::idiot::
::idiot:: village ^
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

well that's kinda stupid. Because I've been a member for how long and I've only like logged in like 20 times. I doubt it's anything far from that.

--

User Posted Image

bugsport
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

methulah wrote:

bugsport wrote:

i really meant that.

I think Blck is saying that he wasn't getting angry, just sarcastic. Hell, Stuffie says it best.

DOH!
well i made myself look like an idiot

--

User Posted Image

Jambozal
Jambozal Non-veteran ♥
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Every time you visit the site you log in. Be it automatic or manual, you've still logged in.
Further to that, lets say you made what, 2 posts every time you logged in? That means you've logged in over 400 times.

--

User Posted Image
Sig courtesy of A hammy-bob mod christmas special 3 XD
Need help for: sound mastering, editing and recording, SFX creation or music? Drop me a PM

::idiot::
::idiot:: village ^
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

:o...

flamboozled

--

User Posted Image

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

I've only logged in and out at least maybe 100 times, 'cos I stay permenantly logged in.

But I have 9,337 site visits. So if you stay auto-logged in, it still counts as a visit once the session has ended and a new one opened.

(sad, ain't it? nearly 10,000 visits ;_;)

--

User Posted Image

BlueWolf72
BlueWolf72 Mod Till Ya Die
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

The reason why for these rules is:

people are making double and triple accounts to vote
and some are voting as a quest signing in and voting and again creating accounts to do it again.

Lets just hope at the end of this contest the guys look at the voting and see it was fair.

--

Desura Contests Live!
Twitter With Me?<!--Session data-->

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

rofl106
rofl106 da bomb
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

OMG :O i haven't logged in and out ten times :O or at least i don't think so lol i just stay logged in :)

methy
methy Is he black, is he not?
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Read the posts above you, they explain.

Nov 21 2006 Anchor

TKAzA
Statistics
Mod DB Visits7,597

Its not that hard, whats the issue...Realy?

Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Agreed, but for people who want to genuinely vote for a mod it does make it a little frustrating.

rofl106
rofl106 da bomb
Nov 21 2006 Anchor

Mod Profile Visits2,935
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr yeah there isn't a problem is there 8)

jacksonj04
jacksonj04 Over 9000
Nov 24 2006 Anchor

Hi there,

Let me clarify this.

At the moment, guest votes and member votes are counted separately. Member votes are used to create the final scoreboard, with guest votes coming into play for tiebreakers only.

Your vote as a new member will only count as a guest vote until you have visited the site 10 times (There's quite a complex bit for determining this, and it's not 100% accurate, but it's *not* based on logging in/out). Once you have visited 10 times or more, your 'guest' votes are then automatically counted as member votes.

As long as you visit more than 10 times between your registration and end of voting, you are counted as a full member.

--

Barcode Imagejacksonj04 the generally helpful one
Lost, confused or just need a virtual cuddle? PM me.
Need urgent help from staff? PM us all.

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Nov 24 2006 Anchor

Wraiyth wrote: Agreed, but for people who want to genuinely vote for a mod it does make it a little frustrating.

I though ask myself if it is the right thing for some voter to register here just for voting. Being a member ( like mentioned quite some time above ) is about contributing to the page or watching stuff. It is okay to support your mod of choice but just register to vote and then never coming back I consider a bit of a waste.

Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Nov 24 2006 Anchor

But does it make is a fair system if you're required to be a member of ModDB to vote? I'd say not.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.