Forum Thread
Tomb Raider 2 - Venice Level in Unity (Forums : General Banter : Tomb Raider 2 - Venice Level in Unity) Locked
Thread Options
Sep 24 2013 Anchor

Im currently developing a remake of the venice level in Tomb Raider 2 using the Unity Game Engine, could you give me feedback and constructive criticism please :)

Tomb Raider 2 - Venice [Unity3D] V0.1

grouchbag
grouchbag I art grouchier than thou.
Sep 26 2013 Anchor

It looks very nice. 8)

--

"sweet"  little old lady

Sep 27 2013 Anchor

I loved TR on PS1 as well :)

The level is a bit dark, you could maybe increase global illumination so nothing gets buried too deep in the shadows. And in the end you should probably render AO maps for best in-game results.

But have you started working on the player? Coding the movement mechanics with all the jumping, grabbing, swimming etc. is going to be hard compared to building the level geometry. And you're going to need that player working for it to be a game, aren't you?

Always remember to think ahead :)

Sep 27 2013 Anchor

Unity can support so much more detail, why are your walls so flat, you could have modeled window frames, wires, posts, signs, air vents.

The big details are great for blocking the player in, but how can they be immersed in your level when so much is missing.

Google.co.uk
Think of your level like the painting of a face, you have the mouth, ears and nose, but wheres the eyes, eyebrows, freckles.

Edited by: TKAzA

Nov 11 2013 Anchor

This is my new update, be sure to comment and give feedback so i can continue to make improvements :)

Tomb Raider 2 - Venice [Unity3D] V0.3

Nov 12 2013 Anchor

Wow, you already have Lara in-game, you've made huge progress!

You should definitely make an IndieDB page about your game, this is already bigger than single forum thread. Tomb Raider has lots and lots of fans who could be very interested in your project. Not all TR fans like the modern TR so these retro versions could have good potential.

Don't slow down now, you've got good momentum going. Still plenty of features to add and I see you already made V0.4 plans. Perhaps try to get jumping and grabbing figured out or basic health and damage and you can start calling it a proper game already. :)

Very nice job, you surprised me positively and totally made my day! Big thanks :)

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Nov 12 2013 Anchor

TKAzA wrote: Unity can support so much more detail, why are your walls so flat, you could have modeled window frames, wires, posts, signs, air vents.

Likely because the assets are ripped.

Nov 12 2013 Anchor

ambershee wrote:

TKAzA wrote: Unity can support so much more detail, why are your walls so flat, you could have modeled window frames, wires, posts, signs, air vents.

Likely because the assets are ripped.

The character models are but I believe the maps are modeled by hand because of how they are progressing and expanding.

Anyway refining on those things is secondary when you are trying to accomplish something playable. Get the important features working, then start level design and content creation. :)

Edited by: shadowflar3

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Nov 12 2013 Anchor

The maps are basic planes / primitives.

The textures appear to be ripped.
User Posted Image

Edited by: ambershee

Nov 12 2013 Anchor

ambershee wrote: The maps are basic planes / primitives.

The textures appear to be ripped.
User Posted Image

I first wish to recreate the Venice level using the textures ripped from the game, then when both Lara and the level work to how i want them too, i will begin to change the textures to HD one's, but always sticking with the 'original' tomb raider theme.

shadowflar3 wrote: Wow, you already have Lara in-game, you've made huge progress!

You should definitely make an IndieDB page about your game, this is already bigger than single forum thread. Tomb Raider has lots and lots of fans who could be very interested in your project. Not all TR fans like the modern TR so these retro versions could have good potential.

Don't slow down now, you've got good momentum going. Still plenty of features to add and I see you already made V0.4 plans. Perhaps try to get jumping and grabbing figured out or basic health and damage and you can start calling it a proper game already. :)

Very nice job, you surprised me positively and totally made my day! Big thanks :)

I know, thank you :) and i have just done that :) and i hope so, im trying to create something that gives all them original tomb raider fans to be excited about :') plus i love developing this game and making comparisons to the original, gives me an excuse to play TR2 again ;) and im not slowing down i guarantee you that :) and i need to sort the jumping out, at the moment, the full map is in the game, but texture-less :P so that will be sorted out soon, and climbing ladders will hopefully be the next big step :) health and damage are planned for later :)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.