Forum Thread
QUAKECON 2005 NAMES INTEL PROCESSORS THE "OFFICIAL CPU" (Forums : General Banter : QUAKECON 2005 NAMES INTEL PROCESSORS THE "OFFICIAL CPU") Locked
Thread Options
BlueWolf72
BlueWolf72 Mod Till Ya Die
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

MESQUITE, TX - JULY 22, 2005 - QuakeCon, the largest four-day gaming event in North America, announced that Intel Corporation, the world's largest chip maker, has joined the increasing roster of blue-chip companies as a title sponsor of the 10th Annual event. More than 6,000 gamers from around the world are expected to descend on the Gaylord Resort and Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas August 11-14, to frag, party, meet their online buddies in person and check out the latest hardware and software from industry leaders.

As the "Official CPU" of QuakeCon, Intel will be providing Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition based tournament systems and dual Intel® Xeon™ processor based servers to host all of the tournament and BYOC (Bring Your Own Computer) games; as many as 3,200 hardcore gamers are expected to bring their own rigs for 96 hours of marathon gaming madness. The latest in Intel technology will also be on display in their massive 2,400 square foot booth in the exhibitor area.

"We are thrilled to be selected as the CPU provider for QuakeCon. Ten years of gaming history has led to this moment where Intel architecture is chosen as the platform for the QuakeCon gaming tournament." said Tim Takeuchi, gaming campaign strategy manager, Intel. "The Intel Pentium 4 processor Extreme Edition platforms provide an incredible overall gaming experience with high performance to handle today's most demanding games."

"We couldn't be more excited about the new level of enthusiasm and energy that Intel is bringing to the 10th Annual QuakeCon," Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software said. "Hardcore gamers are all about the latest and greatest hardware, and Intel's Pentium 4 processor Extreme Edition tournament systems and servers can deliver the raw horsepower we need to keep our attendees gaming non-stop for four days."

About QuakeCon:
Often described as the "Woodstock of Gaming," QuakeCon was created in August of 1996 by a group of friends on the IRC network's EFnet who had a desire to meet in person. Less than 100 attendees gathered at the Best Western in Garland, Texas that first year to play and talk games and compete in the first QuakeCon tournament. id Software's lead programmer John Carmack and several other id Software team members stopped by to chat with fans about DOOM, QUAKE, and the future of an up-and-coming id Software.

Now in its 10th year, QuakeCon remains true to its original mission as an event created by gamers, for gamers. Sponsored by id Software and other industry-leading software and hardware manufacturers, QuakeCon continues to be run by a dedicated group of 30 year-round volunteers and more than 200 on-site volunteers. Nearly 6,000 people attended QuakeCon in 2004, and the event has expanded to include QUAKE®, QUAKE II®, QUAKE III Arena®, QUAKE III: Team Arena™, Return to Castle Wolfenstein® and DOOM 3™. For more information on QuakeCon visit the Web site at www.quakecon.org..

About id Software:
id - Freud's primal part of the human psyche and one of the hottest game shops on Earth - has been rocking the gaming world from Mesquite, Texas since 1991. As a renowned leader in the industry, id Software forged such frenetic titles as Wolfenstein 3D®, DOOM®, DOOM II®, QUAKE® QUAKE II®, QUAKE III Arena®, QUAKE 4®, Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars™, Return to Castle Wolfenstein® and DOOM 3®.

With intense graphics and mind-blowing action, id's games have helped redefine the modern video game, continually setting industry standards for technology and gameplay. Check out more about id Software at www.idsoftware.com..

--

Desura Contests Live!
Twitter With Me?<!--Session data-->

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

Sticky I'm pretty awesome.
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

Heheh. Gaylord Convention Center...fabulous!

Anywho, AMD Athlons are much more suited to gaming.

Wilhelm_III
Wilhelm_III Who the hell do I think I am?
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

Sounds cool, since it is in Texas I am guessing you will be attending?

BlueWolf72
BlueWolf72 Mod Till Ya Die
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

Yes Ill be representing as moddb.com :)

--

Desura Contests Live!
Twitter With Me?<!--Session data-->

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

Jul 22 2005 Anchor

One of the CEOs of id software said they were going to show off the multiplayer from Quake 4 at this year's QuakeCon.

Lucky bastard. There should be big events like this in the Midwest. We've been screwed from day one. :(

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Sticky I'm pretty awesome.
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

We'll hold our wheat and corn hostage until we get it in writing that there'll be more conventions in the midwest. WHO'S WITH ME?

hammy-bob
hammy-bob b0bzied
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

Ippo wrote: One of the CEOs of id software said they were going to show off the multiplayer from Quake 4 at this year's QuakeCon.

Lucky bastard. There should be big events like this in the Midwest. We've been screwed from day one. :(

I hate to tell you this but the midwest is really not liked by any big market things because they think all we do is farm :P!

--

Grammar is my worst enemy along with flying chairs.

User Posted Image

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

*sigh*
How come there are never any real conventions in Europe these days :(

Wilhelm_III
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

ambershee wrote: *sigh*
How come there are never any real conventions in Europe these days :(

If you want more conventions I have a suggestion: STOP WRITING WELFARE CHECKS AND MAKE YOUR COUNTRIES DESIRABLE AGAIN.

But yeah, there are not many conventions in the south east, exept of corse for Dragon Con. Yeah I live a few of blocks away from it. 10-15 minute drive tops.

ambershee
Jul 22 2005 Anchor

If you want more conventions I have a suggestion: STOP WRITING WELFARE CHECKS AND MAKE YOUR COUNTRIES DESIRABLE AGAIN.

I wouldn't go there if I were you, international opinion is somewhat to the converse...

Oh well, there's always Leipzig, that's pretty big as far as things go (25K people daily)

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Jul 23 2005 Anchor

QUAKECON ANNOUNCES NONE WILL BE ADMITTED WITHOUT BROKEN CAPS LOCK KEY.

and quakecon wont come to europe, because ID isnt stationed in europe :-P

im in texas, but i think i'll just go next year, and go to ACL this year

Wilhelm_III
Jul 23 2005 Anchor

Curse you and your ability to pick and choose which cool events to go to! ;(

ambershee
Jul 24 2005 Anchor

and quakecon wont come to europe, because ID isnt stationed in europe

Who said anything about Quakecon coming to europe?

Chaossaber314
Chaossaber314 RETSP Team Leader, Disestablishmentarianist
Jul 24 2005 Anchor

hammy-bob wrote:

Ippo wrote: One of the CEOs of id software said they were going to show off the multiplayer from Quake 4 at this year's QuakeCon.

I hate to tell you this but the midwest is really not liked by any big market things because they think all we do is farm :P!

Yeah, everything except for the defense firms like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, ect ect.

--

Pez says:
hey choas, whats it like being a jew
Chaossaber says:
What's it like being an anti-semite?
Pez says:
I'm going to pretend to understand what that means

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.