Forum Thread
Quake 4 revealed! (Forums : PC Gaming : Quake 4 revealed!) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Sep 11 2004 Anchor

This month's pc zone (UK) contains a world-exclusive preview of quake 4, with screenshots :D (I'll scan some later). Here's the juicy bits:

-It's uses the doom3 engine.
-The singleplayer is a continuation of the q2 storyline.
-The multiplayer is apparently "akin to Quake III: Arena"
-It will contain outdoor environments (The ones in the screens don't look that big, quite impressive though) as well as indoor environments.
-It will have driveable vehicles.
-Apparently, you will eventually turn into a strogg! (I can't give you much info on this other than that it'll involve using strogg upgrade booths).
-Weapons confirmed are: Blaster (With flashlight), shotgun, machinegun and the nailgun.
-Monsters include: Gunners, strogg marines, gladiators and "Some new creatures to surprise veteran quake fans".
-You will have friendly marines fighting by your side.

Discuss :D

EDIT: Oh and also, the ETA is 2005...

- Edited By A_Llama On Sat 11th, Sep 2004 @ 7:38:48am

SkitZaY
SkitZaY u mad
Sep 11 2004 Anchor

Ahh, good ol quake. I dont think itll really be the same with a campaing. Itll lose it sgood 'ol deathmatch feel and become like doom 3 basically :/

--

uwu

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Sep 11 2004 Anchor

Doesn't sound very innovative. Doom 3, Unreal 3, Quake 4... too similar. :|

--

User Posted Image

a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Sep 11 2004 Anchor

Apparently, quake 4 is to doom 3 as aliens is to alien. The focus will largely be on action.

They claim to be focusing on singleplayer and multiplayer, but thats been said before *cough*farcry*cough* :P

They also are saying that the visuals and gameplay will be very varied.

- Edited By A_Llama On Sat 11th, Sep 2004 @ 7:53:08am

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Sep 11 2004 Anchor

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but until then we wait for the screens then drool. :D

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Sep 11 2004 Anchor

Well, I could say that Doom 3 will be to indoor visuals as Quake 4 will be to outdoor visuals. It will be more open and a little easier on the eyes.

It sounds like a pretty cool game, too. I'm sure my dad would really like to play, since he's such an FPS player (he has played and beaten every Unreal, Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and Castle Wolfenstein.... he doesn't play any other games besides those, so it's cool to see him playing games like that :D)

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Sep 11 2004 Anchor

Karuto, there will be lots of indoor environments too.

natko1
natko1 Jesus was homeless
Sep 12 2004 Anchor

good to hear that the games is making progress....

"certian" developers can only wish that they could release on time

--

I'm around. Will be active soon.

Sep 12 2004 Anchor

Useless without scans :p

--

Why wont it save me?

Spector
Spector WWIII
Sep 12 2004 Anchor

azz0r wrote: Useless without scans :p

Im gonna have to go with azzor here... Show us some scans already.... :P

- Edited By Spector On Sun 12th, Sep 2004 @ 8:33:11am

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

Sep 12 2004 Anchor

There are no scans yet. However, the November issue of PC Gamer will be jam-packed full of Quake 4 information, including 10 pages of information, scans, interviews, etc.

So, just get ready for that ;)

--

LOC
LOC SEGA Gamer From Na Pali
Sep 12 2004 Anchor

unreal 4ever,that's all...btw doom 3 supports 4 ppl at the time...i think...sux huh

--

User Posted Image

Neo-Reloaded
Neo-Reloaded I think i'm BaCk! :) i'm 18 now :P 28/03 (H)
Sep 12 2004 Anchor

i don't know if i'm happy about the game using the doom 3 engine but oh well :P gl quake! :D i'm looking forward to it :)

--

**wearing a christmas hat since xmas 2004 :)** ThAt'S ThE sPiRiT! ;)
thx 4 teh avatar cheap!:D
Back regularly! 8) i'm an adult in my country now! i'm 18!:O ... anyway...
I'm Back :) ... or am I? O_o

new e-mail addy, check profile :)

Sep 12 2004 Anchor

Hehe LOC *cough*

BTW, this isn't good old Quake, this is good old Quake 2...
/me still unhappy they sequelled Q2 instead of the original Quake... :P

--

User Posted Image

T-RonX
T-RonX Warm Milk
Sep 13 2004 Anchor

:S
Beyond3d.com

--

Sep 13 2004 Anchor

I'm sorry.. but it looks like crap.. :S

yet another nextgen failure.. and yes, I originally based doom3's gameplay on its looked and was surprised i hit it straight on.. just a expansion to doom3 it seems.. except, It looks, crappier, and its based on q2.. the crap of the series ..

well, 2 for 3 on the next gen engine failure to revolutionize gaming list..

I guess I'll have to play it, but it is just another fps mind numbling find the key to that dumbass door you cant blow a hole through.. been there, done that..

*gasp*

will hl2 break the bend?! :o
*me thinks not, considering most of my money was on doom3/q4 kicking butt into the mp revolutionary fronteir!
too bad the wagon broke before it even took off :/

frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Sep 14 2004 Anchor

I'm with Carni. Looks like yet another FPS.

--

User Posted Image

dEaThMaStEr
dEaThMaStEr modDB Pile of Twigs
Sep 14 2004 Anchor

:rolleyes: and you expected something else? Listen to the name.. Quake 4... Have you ever seen a quake that wasn't a pure fps? Of cource its jut another fps, however i think you all are bein a bit over critical here. I think it looks pretty good.
Those shots you see don't define the gameplay. You cant tell how you'll play the game just by lookin at some screenshots. It shows the graphical detail is all, which is pretty nice in my opinion. So thats all we know is what level of detail it'll run with.. Thats it.. you can't possibly call it a failure when you have no clue whatsoever on how it'll play.

- Edited By dEaThMaStEr On Tue 14th, Sep 2004 @ 6:22:50am

Sep 14 2004 Anchor

The gameplay wont change, and Quake4 will never be as revolutionary, moddable, or even close to as fun as quake1/quake3.

The doom3 engine's weakness is what it can render and in what area. Trade off doom-esque 100 bad guy swarms for pretty external .tga textures. Quake4, even fro mthe first person screenshot of that gun that I swear I've seen in Natural Selection just looks, bad, cliche, hackneyed, whatever your going to call it it is already a let down beforeit hits the shelves.
They kept referring in the scanned articals of quake3's dm play but q2's sp play.
If I wanted to play quake3 dm play... I'd play quake3 dm play. Besides, its not too far off from the graphics presented in that.. Somehow they pulled off making it look crappier than the engine they started off with. (This including models and maps)

Then they go on to talk about "Fast paced quake2 like sp play".. Well, If All I'm gonna get is a game from 1999 that wasnt pushing much further past the quake1 engine with a few improved graphics that still dont make the benchmark, I'll just boot up darkplaces. :|

chis
chis Old man.
Sep 14 2004 Anchor

Nvnews.net

--

Nothing.

Sep 14 2004 Anchor

Wow, that game looks great :D Can't wait to play it ;)

--

Sep 14 2004 Anchor

It looks great, i just hope it looses the doom III feel, that would be.. horrible.

Be cool if they used the classic quake 2 control scheme on the default.

Yummy.

Gameplay sounds and looks a little like Halo kinda, with all the marine team mates. Could be fun.

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Sep 14 2004 Anchor

hm... story seems crap... gameplay... i donno... doesn't look worthy at the moment.

Sep 14 2004 Anchor

It looks ok but very bland. Doesnt look like Quake at all to be honest - very washed out and meh

--

Why wont it save me?

chis
chis Old man.
Sep 14 2004 Anchor

yeah, Im hoping it will feel like quake, you know all jumpy n quick n stuff

not doom 3 style :/

--

Nothing.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.