My name is Calebe, and I am very glad to announce that we at Bygone King are finally ready to leave concept stage for our game Dagaz: The Night was Dark - a sidescroller 2.5D Single Player game set in a Medieval Horror setting, featuring some mechanics from an action/fighting game. It will be available for PS4 and PC.
After a few months of planning, writing Game Design Documents and Business Plans, we are heading straight into prototype stage February 24th, where we will be creating a demo to test the overall game design such as mechanics and animations. We also plan in releasing a teaser April 9th, 2018.
The player controls James, a simple woodsman who has retreated from his homeland by an army of blood soldiers led by Herknungr - The Warrior King. The game is set in medieval times, in a distant land called “The Great North”, a Confederation of Four different Nations. James is put into a path that will eventually have the world depend on his hands, making him go against various enemies and bosses, something he did not ask for.
The game and its lore has a diverse array of content: Four Cities with their own respective enemies, architecture, NPCs, and cultures. The player will explore these lands, solve quests, defeat terrifying bosses, and uncover their mysteries in the process.
Help save this world from the Blood of Hawthorn, a malevolent being that has infected thousands of people, forcing them to do his will, turning brothers against sisters, fathers against sons - man against man. Make this chaotic mess of blood and gore find peace once more.
What will be in the game?
- Enemy Variety, anything from giants to several different classes of soldiers;
- NPCs with voice actors;
- Awesome bossfights against rulers and special enemies of each city, who are infected with the Blood of Hawthorn;
- Epic soundtrack with singers and various orchestra instruments to create a deep lovecraftian horror-driven feel to a world going mad;
- Stunning environments, having a sense of horror and gore, making the player feel unsafe;
- Well-written lore, carefully-crafted and filled with morals and lessons to teach players;
- Graphics/Textures: 2.5D, gritty and dark, with a mixture of low-poly characters and high-poly environments. Not realistic, but interesting in its own way;
Our planned release date is 2021, due to the fact we want to have everything finished in 2020 so we can have one more year to advertise, prepare marketing, and fix issues and bugs, whichever they may be.
This is going to be a long journey for me and the team. Despite few in number, we are working hard on this game, and even though we´re still in pre-production, we have high hopes for this Project and the future ahead - But we sure could use some help! Either by feedback, opinions, or suggestions, don´t hesitate to tell us, for everything is welcome!
If you´d even like join the team, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your portfolio (whether it´s for sound, programming, 3D or 2D art) and why you think you´d be a good fit! Be aware that we are all doing this for free so far, so don´t expect payments in the near future :x
Thanks for Reading this far! See you in the next one!
Calebe Motta & Bygone King