Uber Arena is a mod that takes the standard gameplay of Quake 3 and attempts to build upon and revitalize it with new gameplay mechanics and items. It has:
All mechanics were designed around Quake's core principles such as on-spawn equality, item control, positioning, and movement, with the intention of enhancing these critical gameplay elements and introducing more skill without undermining the foundations of the game itself.
Uberweapons (trademark mechanic): Upgraded versions of the standard Quake 3 arsenal, which can be obtained by obtaining 3 weapons of the same type. Reinforces item control and places emphasis on weapon control over traditional health / armor control. Provides an alternative means for the out-of-control player to regain control of the map apart from just controlling armors, while still punishing poor decision-making.
Item Knockback: Items can now recieve knockback from splash damage weapons like players can. Use to deny items from other players or move out-of-reach items toward you, creating a whole new dimension of gameplay that's well-suited for competitive Quake and feels right at home / non-gimmicky since it simply extends an existing game mechanic (knockback) and applies it to another existing element (items).
Weapon limits and weapon pouches: Players can collect up to one non-starter weapon upon spawn, but must collect items called weapon pouches to make room for new non-starter weapons. Encourages more thinking about what weapons to pickup as opposed to just grabbing everything that comes by, as well as by making players decide between more weapon diversity or waiting to pickup 3 weapons for an uberweapon (instant gratification vs. delayed but bigger reward).
Reduced starting ammo: Encouraging more conservative use of weaponry, as opposed to the very generous amount of ammo usually given to players in standard Quake 3.
3 new power-ups, including Conservation (gives infinite ammo and removes weapon limits, allows use of weapons that have 0 ammo), Rampage (instantly frags anyone that touches you, while still letting you use your weapons), and Scavenger (lets you pickup items with your weapons)
2 new holdable items, including the Tuning Device (instantly upgrades your currently held weapon into an uberweapon) and the Storage Capsule (stores an item you pick up for later use, so it can be applied at just the right time and place for maximum effect - very tactical!)
Super Ammo Crate: Ever wondered why the Mega Health and the Red Armor don't have an equivalent-level item for ammo? Wonder no more.
Trampolines: Latticework surfaces that act like jump pads and accel pads, but reflect velocity instead of pushing the player in a specific direction and speed, making them much more flexible. Similar to Portal 2's repulsion gel, but with no initial minimum boost.
6 maps based on older open-source maps from both id software and highly acclaimed Quake 3 community mappers like Lunaran, Tigger-On, Vondur, and wviperw, with new routes and the implementation of Uber Arena items and trampolines. All maps from community mappers are used with permission and with full credits given.
Version 0.4 of Uber Arena has landed on the internet, and it involves a very well-known voice actor who worked on both Quake 3 and Quake Live!
- Christian Antkow, the original Quake 3 announcer, now voices the Conservation and Scavenger power-ups, the Tyrant medal, and the main menu intro. HUGE thanks for your work; it is a real honor to have you involved in my mod!
- Added 4 new maps:
- Torn to Shreds (uadm9)
Original Author: Dan "CardO" Shannon
NOTE: Based on the QueToo version; originally a Quake 2 map
- Factory Frenzy (uadm10)
Original Author: Nick "Nickster" Hambrecht
- Out on a Capture (uactf1)
Original Author: Tigger-On
NOTE: CTF version of Out on a Rampage (uadm3)
- Spirit Collision (uactf2)
Original Author: Tim "spirit" Schäfer
- Newly redesigned menu, with a cool Matrix background effect courtesy of Stefan "sst13" Scholz (from his "Campgrounds Matrix Edition" map)
- Holdable items, as well as the gauntlet / machinegun, can now be dropped by players upon death or specating. If the Storage Capsule is dropped, it will revert to Standby Mode, and any item carried in it at the time (if any) will be dropped along with it, including items that normally couldn't be dropped like armor and health.
- Storage Capsule now displays the icon of the item it is currently carrying above its own icon.
- Players carrying uberweapons can now be identified by glowing orbs encircling their player model. The color of the orb corresponds to whatever weapon they are currently carrying; for example, players with the Homing Rocket Launcher will have a red orb.
- New piercing machinegun sound.
- New homing rocket sound (tracking beep noises).
- New multi-grenade skin (hazard stripes; brighter green light flash).
- New arc lightning color (gold).
- New ion plasma bolt color (magenta); inspired by the Q3Test plasma gun.
- New toxic railgun sound (hiss).
- New BFG30K bolt color (blue).
- New Conservation firing sounds.
- New Scavenger aura.
- New map loading screen.
- Added the g_bouncy cmd. Treats all walkable surfaces as trampolines. Intended for development purposes, but can be fun to play around with.
- Ubered ammo no longer used up while Conservation is active.
- Moved Storage Capsule state messages to the client; now prints as large text in the same manner as the normal holdable activation message.
- Fixed a bug where players that approached a flag with a capture-mode Storage Capsule would look like they picked up the flag, even though they really didn't (and cannot)
- Fixed weapon limit stats being hidden by flag indicators in CTF.
- Fixed a bug that would cause items knocked onto movers to continue to be affected by those movers after respawning.
- Fixed a bug that prevented players who weren't carrying the enemy flag from returning their own flag by touching it.
- Fixed a bug in which a knocked-away flag that returned to its location didn't generate a return announcement, and would continue to identify as missing.
- Fixed a bug in which a player who uses an item they were currently carrying in the Storage Capsule would cause the original item (the one they picked up and captured in the first place) to disappear as if it had been picked up.
- Fixed a homing rocket related movement bug that persisted due to only appearing in .vm compiled game code.
- Fixed a bug in which the game would crash if a player attempted to use an item in the Storage Capsule that was originally a dropped item.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
This is version 0.4 of Uber Arena. Includes 4 new maps, several visual and audio clarity improvements, voice acting by Christian Antkow, and more!
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.