As most of you have surely noticed, Dawn of the Tiberium Age and Twisted Insurrection got large updates last autumn that also included an entirely new client. However, this side-project of ours was left with the old, by-now horribly outdated client for a long time. Some of you have even been asking for an update in the comment sections. Today the situation has finally changed; the Tiberian Sun Client package has been updated to use the latest, same technology that DTA and TI use.
The update servers for the old version of the client went offline almost a year ago. Because of that, the old version (4.xx) of the client unfortunately won't be automatically updated to the latest version. So, you'll have to download the whole package again. But it should be worth it!
If you want singleplayer campaign videos and want to save yourself some bandwidth, you can keep the video MIX files (MIX\Expand01/02/03.mix) from the old version, download the video-less version of the new client, and then move the video MIX files from the old version to the MIX\ directory that resides inside of the new version's directory. You'll also have to rename the files from Expand01/02/03.mix to Movies01/02/03.mix, respectively.
A lot has changed since the old 4.08 version of the client. We don't have a detailed change-log available, however. The development of the new client, that has been re-written from scratch, started roughly a year ago and so all other changes have also accumulated over the year, and in the process we didn't keep track of every single small change that has been done. I did list some of the more important changes in the changelog, but that's only a fairly small sub-set of what a real changelog would look like. Despite the lack of a changelog the project's aim has stayed consistent though; we've only fixed bugs and extended Tiberian Sun. The original gameplay, including campaigns, remains unchanged from Tiberian Sun with the exception of bug-fixes.
With this release I'll also take the opportunity to announce that the client was made open-source a while ago. You can find its C# source code on GitHub at Github.com
In addition to the client, the bug-fixes and feature extensions to the original Tiberian Sun Game.exe file by the CnCNet team have been made open source. The code is available at Github.com. Unless you're very skilled in x86 Assembly language, C/C++ and reverse-engineering, the code is probably not going to be much of use for you however. The repository also currently lacks a few changes that I made for this package's Game.exe; I'll push the changes to the repository within the next few weeks.
With the new spawner and client, it's unlikely that there's all that much to fix or improve in this project anymore. But if something that can be fixed or improved with a reasonably low amount of work is found, we'll update the build as usual. Until then, have fun, commanders!