Full concept MODIFICATION of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat that touches every game aspect including textures, sfx, music, weapons, A.I., items, weather, mutants, difficulty and much much more!

Forum Thread
Is salvage in MISERY 2.2 Profitable? (Games : S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Mods : MISERY : Forum : General subjects : Is salvage in MISERY 2.2 Profitable?) Locked
Thread Options
jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Oct 12 2017 Anchor

When the salvage system is used to full advantage, you can save a couple hundred-thousand rubles in purchase and repair costs, and in many cases, if you no longer need the parts, they can be sold off for more than you would earn selling the weapons. Your investment in time results in rubles earned, or saved, which is the same thing. I have used far more inferior (IMO) weapons temporarily, and in poorer condition initially, than ever before which does add considerably to the hobo phase and grind.

Just for scientific purposes, I humped 18.8 Kilos of garbage weapons back to Yanov (12 weapons). The buying price for them was 1550 Rubles. It took me less than 2 minutes to break the 12 weapons down, reducing my weight by 12.2 Kilos, and the selling price rose to 3445 without even shopping around for the best prices. Dropbox.Com Dropbox.Com

So yes, it is both easy to use and very profitable. With 2 minutes of my playing time, and at no risk, I earned 1995 Rubles and made my return-to-base load 12.2 Kilos lighter. That was just breaking down primarily pistols, which don't provide nearly the weight advantage of breaking down larger weapons.

How did I break them down? There are many tools you can use. I carry 5 Swiss army knives (sharpened) and a four pack of sharpening stones. Total weight .8 Kilos. The Swiss army knives can be deployed in a quick use slot on your belt. When dulled after 5 uses, the next sharp knife is selected automatically. For my .8 Kilos of carry weight, I get 45 weapon break downs at a cost for sharpening stones of 208 Rubles.

I press the function key for the slot I placed my tool in (any sharp 1x1 size tool will work) and it opens the salvage UI window. I double-click on the weapon to be disassembled and repeat. 1000 Rubles per minute profit isn't half bad, Stalker ;)

Oct 12 2017 Anchor

Uhm - quick question. Are Swiss army knives supposed to last 5 uses before dulling? Because for me it happens at random, sometimes after a single use. They rarely last 5 uses before needing to be resharpened.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Oct 12 2017 Anchor

Wear may be a little random. I get typically 5 dismantles. Harvesting carcasses I've only done a few times, but it seems much more wearing. It's still very cheap to sharpen and both the small tools and stones are quite light compared to a regular knife and or crowbar, etc. Class has some impact, IIRC too.

Edited by: jasper34

Oct 12 2017 Anchor

Ah, you're lucky then! Or I'm unlucky. ;)

I usually get 1-3 dismantles before the tools dull. Using a hunters kit for mutant skinning. Playing as Sniper at the moment.

But yeah, certainly lighter than a hammer/crowbar.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Oct 12 2017 Anchor

If you do a lot of hunting/skinning the hunters kit easily pays off. Never needing to sharpen it is a nice benefit.

Oct 12 2017 Anchor

Yeah, absolutely. I much prefer to hunt mutants over humans. (Don't mind shooting anyone that gets in my way of course :P ). At the very least I try to make sure my mutant kills are higher than my Stalker kills.

As for the new features; salvage and base building (tent), are very nice to have in Misery 2.2, but will become absolute needed lifesavers once you guys will manage the port to CoC.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Oct 12 2017 Anchor

Yes, the smaller numbers of bases per map in CoC's maps will make tent more important. Right now it is a role playing prop for those who really enjoy that.

Oct 12 2017 Anchor

I've set up my base in Jack's old room at the Checkpoint in Jupiter.

It's a shelter during Emissions, you rarely get interrupted by mutants and stalkers inside the room, yet Duty, Freedom, Bandits and Mercs all patrol to the checkpoint, getting in fights and basically dropping loot on your front door :D

All I could ask for more would be a portable radio I could plop down at my base.

Edited by: PerXX

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Oct 12 2017 Anchor

If someone would write an app to make your playlist from your portable device (phone, Ipod, etc.) play from an object in the game, it would be amazing. You could buy a transistor radio and carry it with you, or we could even make headphones an upgrade to your PDA and you could listen that way and retain immersion.

Oct 12 2017 Anchor

Depends on the object of dismantle, and your needs.

Overall the feature is nice when it comes to extending your weapon workshop, because spare parts appear from time to time even from the most broken weapons and you can utilize them later on for all your <25% repairs need. Generally anything <30% isn't worth the time spent on dismantling unless you dump a lot of these at the same time. Monolithians carrying better conditioned weapons are good source of spare parts, though, especially larger ones.

Scraps aren't worth a damn, though - I'd much rather throw them out and pick some more valuable loot. If there was an option to dump all of them at once in trading window, it would be a miracle.

Speaking of secondary disarm objects:
- Leather boots are easily one of the most profitable objects to dismantle, because reinforced textiles and regular textiles are really handy for a backup of repair materials, and these are fairly light ones, too, unlike the boots themselves,
- Flashlights of any sort - sometimes profitable, sometimes not, but electronical devices can carry fully charged military bateries at times and a good supply of them is also great if you tend to go for night runs instead of light (like I do). Even batteries or whole packs of them are a good "find",
- Detectors - nope, sell prices are always better AFAIK, at least in case of Bear and Veles,
- GLs, explosive devices - not sure, but I'd much rather sell them, especially those remote EDs, because they can be easily worth a couple thousand RU,
- Belt devices - hell no. Beard pays ~3,5k RU for each and every one of them.

Oct 12 2017 Anchor

2000 rub profit is nothing soo it's waste of time. I'm salavage weapons only to reapir other to minimum then i use reapir kit to full condition favourite weapon. If you want work like that its better to taking weapons above 30-40 % cond. and selling them (sory for my eng, i hope its understandable enough)

Oct 12 2017 Anchor

Is using sharpened objects better than say the hammer or crowbar?? Or is it just the same change to get the spare parts but it only weights less?

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Oct 12 2017 Anchor

Except for using the dismantle kits, I think the results depend only on you having a tool and it's condition. So whatever you have will do the same job.

Oct 13 2017 Anchor

I do have one issue, it wont let me put a crowbar or hammer in any of the hotkeys, Tried placing it in all the different F1, F2, but no luck. I was able to place the item condition paper tho,which is useful.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Oct 13 2017 Anchor

Edit configs/misc/items/items_trade.ltx on line 234 change the inv_grid_height to 1. You crowbar icon will be slightly cut off, but it will then work in a 1x1 belt slot. The hammer is way too heavy to carry around, but perfectly fine to stash somewhere you might rest and break things down. I made the case for a mini-crowbar, but the team decided against it. I have an addon 90% finished, need to package it for those that want an alternative. I would make the Mini-Crowbar .5 Kilos and cost 3X as much as a regular crowbar (because it is highly sought after), or make it a rare find, maybe in one of Alun's stashes. That part I have to figure how to do. You can change the price and weight in the config yourself. Without it being rare, and dangerous to acquire, it's too beneficial TBH.

If you want the convenience of using it in the belt slot, but not an undue economical advantage, stash them in 'safe' convenient locations where you would sit and break items down before returning to base. Only use it there. Take makeshift tools like sharpened small items for in-the-field use.

Edited by: jasper34

Oct 13 2017 Anchor

thanks for the fix, and i do like the cocept behind the mini crowbar, but i feel taht if i wear to break down a gun i would likely use the swiss army knife, at least its the one that makes the most sense to me. Problem is the need to sharpen it for a random amount of dismantelung end up being a pain in the ass, so a weapon dismanteling kit, like the drug making kit but for weapons would make a lot of sense. I just feel that breaking a gun down with a crowbar isnt the most logical way to go lol.

jasper34
jasper34 MISERY PR Lead
Oct 13 2017 Anchor

We acknowledge that tools are not really needed to break many weapons down IRL, but we are breaking down a lot of rusted up weapons that might need some persuasion in MISERY. Not your typical soldiers well oiled and maintained weapons. I'm sure someone could also reduce the wear level on the swiss army knife down if they were determined too.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.