In 2011 I started browsing the latest graphical/sound quake mods, putting together a pretty build using LordHavoc's darkplaces, rygel's ultra textures packs, the reforged packs and a variety of mods, to play quake original. Anyone can do the same, however the hassle comes when you have to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the mods working as playing the game. So I put together a nice-looking build of quake original and it's expansions called epsilon for everybody to get into, without getting into the hassle of config files and searching to find every available mod then getting them to work! The main quake build also includes the original shareware first quarter of the quake game - it is easily upgraded to the full game by dropping in the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from the full game's id1 directory (more details below).
A fantastic ID-worthy 8-level quake episode and worthwhile challenge, released as a celebration of Quake's 20th Anniversary by Machinegames. Actually quite hard (on hard mode)! Read more below for installation instructions etc.
A fantastic ID-worthy 8-level quake episode, released as a celebration of Quake's 20th Anniversary by Machinegames. HARD (on hard mode)!
* Quake Epsilon build
(or any modded darkplaces build with (at a minimum) the quake reforged bestiary skins, shambler castle pk3, rygel texturepack (or QRP texturepack) and dp pretty water mod in your id1 folder).
* the full commercial version of quake (ie. full-version .pak files copyed into your id1 directory)
1. Unzip it into your main quake directory.
2. Run the game:
Windows: (double-click) quake - dimensions of the past.bat
Mac: (double-click) quake - dimensions of the past - mac
Linux: (double-click) quake - dimensions of the past - linux
Differences from original dopa package:
* 1.5-hour-long soundtrack based on NiN's free albums 'Ghosts I' and 'The Slip'
* the usual high-quality texturing, models, effects from epsilon build
* better lighting courtesy of BloodVengeance (with some corrections by myself)
Sources and thanks to:
* MachineGame's Dimensions of the Past: Quaddicted.com
* NiN: Lights in the Sky dopa soundtrack - edited by me from Ghosts I: En.wikipedia.org and The Slip: En.wikipedia.org(album)
* Bloodvengeance RTlights (corrections and additional edits by myself): Quakeone.com
* Moondrunk/Jenk's Skies
* Capnbub's Authentic Model improvements (norms gloss etc by me): Quakeone.com
* Fragger demon lopoly skin (gloss/luma etc generated by me): Quakeone.com
* My smoothskin demon mod - modified from seanstar and classic hipoly skins (source for seanstar and classic: Quakeone.com)
* Dawn of Darkness Knight and Hellknight (ported by seven, edited by me): Quakeone.com
* Shamblers Castle Hipoly models and skins: Quakeone.com
* Teamonster's Ogre: Quakeone.com
* Seanstar's vore, fish and scrag skins: Quakeone.com
Mykey/ooppee/moo grunt: Quakeone.com