In 2011 I started browsing the latest graphical/sound quake mods, putting together a pretty build using LordHavoc's darkplaces, rygel's ultra textures packs, the reforged packs and a variety of mods, to play quake original. Anyone can do the same, however the hassle comes when you have to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the mods working as playing the game. So I put together a nice-looking build of quake original and it's expansions called epsilon for everybody to get into, without getting into the hassle of config files and searching to find every available mod then getting them to work! The main quake build also includes the original shareware first quarter of the quake game - it is easily upgraded to the full game by dropping in the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from the full game's id1 directory (more details below).
Arcane Dimensions, by Sock (Simon O' Callaghan) + many others, is unlike any other Quake expansion out there. Each map, or 'dimension', teleports the player to a very different area, with a very different vibe and overall 'feel'. Some dimensions are scifi, some ethereal, some dark and gothic. All are good. Tons of new enemies abound, ranging from variations on old favourites to new originals. This compilation brings together both Arcane Dimensions and the HD updates made by the quake community, predominantly on Quakeone, and the music I've been working on for the ~3 hour soundtrack for the past 2 years, along with many of my own retextures. This build is Not an addon for the main Quake Epsilon build at this stage, it is a standalone install - do NOT unzip into your main quake epsilon build folder, if you have one. Arcane Dimensions requires the commercial version of quake's pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from the full game's id1 folder. Click 'read more' for installation details etc
Arcane Dimensions is a 22-level expansion pack for the original Quake, with some of the most intricate level design ever seen in that engine.
It totals roughly 9 hours of gameplay across the dimensions/levels, each of which has it's own specific mood or theme. All-in-all it is a testimony to the enginuity of level designers in the 21st century.
Installation and running
1. Unzip the Arcane Dimensions Epsilon Build zip file to somewhere on your computer (Not your Quake Epsilon folder, if you have one).
2. Copy PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK from your commercial copy of quake's "id1" subfolder to the "id1" subfolder in your Arcane Dimensions Epsilon installation. The game will not run without the full commercial .pak files.
You can purchase full quake off steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/2310/) for about $5-$10 depending on the day and what sales are on.
3. Run Arcane Dimensions:
Windows: run (double-click) "arcane dimensions.bat"
Mac: run (double-click) "arcane dimensions - mac"
Linux: run (double-click) "arcane dimensions - linux"
If you're running it for the first time it will ask you for your preferred graphics quality level. The one you choose should depend on the speed of your hardware, and whether you have a dedicated graphics card (or onboard graphics).
Once quake arcane dimensions has loaded, go to options, video config and adjust your resolution and antialiasing to taste.
By default FXAA antialiasing is turned on in the config.cfg for high and medium graphics quality modes, so you don't really need more antialiasing turned on if you've got an Nvidia card.
To turn off FXAA, remove the following line:
Personally I actually prefer FXAA to multisample antialiasing, but that's just me.
Graphics Quality Levels
Ultra - Multisample antialiasing, higher-quality bump-mapping, high anisotropic filtering, high effects quality
High - FXAA antialiasing, bump-mapping, medium anisotropic filtering, high effects quality
Medium - FXAA antialiasing, no bump-mapping, low anisotropic filtering, lower effects quality, reduced texture quality
Low - No antialiasing, no bump-mapping, no anisotropic filtering, no gloss effects, low effects quality, opaque water, reduced texture quality
If you have additional performance issues, try going into quake's options/video config and either reducing your resolution, antialiasing, texture quality or anisotropic filtering settings.
Arcane Dimensions does not work with 'Realtime World Lighting' setting ('Full Lighting') in Darkplaces, unlike regular Quake. The only exception to this is the "Firetop Mountain" level.
* Because the level "Forgotten Sepulcher" will not run on the darkplaces engine, it has been removed from this build. It may be released at a later point in another build, but it would have to use another engine to do so. See my dev diaries on moddb for a more complex analysis of this.
* If running Linux and using a graphics card, I *strongly* recommend using the proprietary drivers from the card manufacturer (eg. nvidia) if available. The performance increase is Massive.
* On linux, some setups operate better with the sdl version of darkplaces instead of the glx one. If you find darkplaces isn't running properly, try deleting the glx executable and renaming the sdl version to be the same as the glx one.
* There may be no music in OSX (mac) - I don't have a Mac and can't test. This was a bug in the darkplaces engine regarding .ogg decoding, I don't know if it still exists. You can fix this by decoding all of the sound/cdtracks/.ogg files (inside the soundtrack pk3/zip) to .wav yourself.
* There is a common bug associated with quake where you lose some of your runes when you finish an episode. I'm not sure of the workaround for this, or what causes it (I suspect changing difficulty levels after a mission MIGHT trigger it) so just save your game often and preferably into a new save slot at the end of each level of the game.
* "Full lighting" in video options ie. RT world lighting does not work for the majority of levels - only for Firetop Mountain, The Mire, Terror Fuma and, to a lesser extent, Arcane Adamantine. Enable at your own risk.
* Technical note for modders - 'pretty' water screws up too many of the levels and forms performance issues. Thus disabled.
Sources & Thanks to
Arcane Dimensions is by Simon "Sock" OCallaghan (www.simonoc.com) and many, many others, full credits are in ad/ad_v1_70_credits.txt. The homepage for Arcane Dimensions is www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm
Music (c) Matt Bentley ie. Xolve ie. myself. May not be distributed outside of the context of this package ie. Arcane Dimensions Epsilon Build. The homepage for the soundtrack will be xolve.bandcamp.com once released.
Main map textures by Rygel, fixed in some areas and converted to DDS by myself (original rygel textures downloadable here: Icculus.org).
Darkplaces engine by LordHavoc (https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/)
Individual item/monster hi-def textures by:
Pretty Liquids, Player skins - Bloodvengeance
Armor - Makke
Glow objects, Shotgun and Spawn, Rotfish, Grunt - Ruohis
Drole - Quadrocket
Projectiles, Buzzsaws, Pendulums, Tome of Power, Book and Stand, Radar Dishes - Talisa
Enforcer - Tabun, OoPpEe
Grunt - Ruohis, Talisa
Shalrath - Obiwan, updated by myself
Rotfish - Ruohis
Spider, Scorpion, Golem, Imp - Jeank, myself
Hydra - Jeank and Talisa
Freddie - Talisa, edited by myself
Zombies - reforged, fraggers, ogro, myself
Some wraith textures - QRP, Talisa, myself
Neural-net upsampled original Arcane Dimensions textures - myself
Death-soldier (fury, guard, knight, crossbow, sergeant) textures - Myself using upsampled textures + Seanstar and QRP textures
Demon - QRP, fragger, myself
Additional Sky Textures - Bluntz
Classic Gibs - Osjc
Backpack - Qwre, repackaged by myself
Updated triple-shotgun, plasma gun - Myself using upsampled textures & random metal textures
Hipoly Wizard - Shamblers Castle project, converted by OOppee, edited by myself
Additional gloss and normal maps for all monsters and items - myself
Knights, Hellknights - Seanstar, QRP, d1554573r, myself
Hi-def Healthboxes and lids - myself using upsamples + quaketastic textures by silva carloshp
Ogres - Myself, QRP, Fragger, Quadrocket, Nergal and WA's edit of nergal's texture
Wraiths - QRP for first texture, myself for other upsamples, Talisa for luma and gloss-maps
Effect powerups, exploding box, laser - Ooppee
Eel - from upsamples, gloss/glow by Webangel
Gaunt, Shambler, Bulletboxes, Minotaurs, some bosses - Myself using upsamples + retexturing
Fumigators, Pyros - Myself using upsamples + QRP textures
Book - CV, Talisa
Some textures repackaged by Talisa for AD, all dds conversions by myself.
Arcane Dimensions hi-def map texture compilations by:
Sock (arcane monstrosity, start map, 2nd start map, Obsessive Brick Disorder, The Horde of Zendar, Ogre Bastille, Firetop Mountain, Slipgate Conundrum, Arcane Adamantine)
MFX (The realm of enceladus, Foggy Bogbottom, The Crucial Error, The End)
IKWhite and SheSP (Various map textures)
Scampie and Lunaran (Necromancer's keep)
Ionous (Per Asperi Ad Inferi, Leptis Magna)
Pulsar (Leptis Magna, Terror Fuma)
EricW (Terror Fuma, The Underearth)
Bloodvengeance (Obsessive Brick Disorder, The Horde of Zendar, Foggy Bogbottom, Ogre Bastille, The Underearth, Hangar 16, Firetop Mountain, The Mire)
FifthElephant (Place of Many Deaths)
Sean Campbell (Hangar 16)
Noel (The Mire)
Myself (normal and additional gloss textures for most arcane dimensions map textures, dds conversions)
Each map set has it's own sub-authors (who the authors above obtained textures from), all of which are detailed in the readme for that map inside arcane_dimensions_map_textures_consolidated_xolvedds.pk3 (pk3 is a .zip file, can be opened with 7zip or similar).
Textures compiled by myself.
More detail on credits can be found in the readme files inside each .pk3.
v1 - 1/12/2019: