This is a gore mod for Quake 1 to exaggerate and show-off with a lot more blood that every other Quake 1 mod has to offer :-)
V07. 'nough said. Read the description below for detailed information or read the readme. And have fun. And i must fill this with 50 characters. Done.
Changes for update v0.7
- new introduced / discovered bugs:
Gibstages sometimes only play animations when shot
Kickfunction sometimes interferes with weaponmodel update
teleporting another monster into air sometimes stucks the teleported monster in air for a few seconds
selecting and cycling through weapons is a bit buggy again
- gib stages:
Another way of fragging, restricted to nailguns. If a monster dies, you can shoot it several times, until the corpse is shredded
to pieces. With every subsequent hit, the monster loses parts of its body or what is left of it. Imagine
that you slice an apple into small pieces before you hit it with a sledgehammer. Bring an umbrella.
- added back the new weapons
Couldn't wait to add them. Weapon selection functions are still buggy.
- added cvars:
You can now switch the new monster abilities and attacks on and off
You can now choose which of the new weapons spawns and which not
You can now determine how many gibs will spawn from fragged / killed enemies
Chasecam on player death yes or not.
- Added dismemberment and different bloody deaths to the player model
Still got trouble with the player skin colors in combination with the painskins.
As long as i'm seaarching for a solution the player body has no bloodskins.
But the limbs do have bloody gibskins already.
- ADDED OPTIONS TO MAKE DARKPLACES RENDER QUAKE PIXELISED
This is the standard rendering method in the qore.cfg now. You can read about how to make
it look like a modern shooter in the qore.cfg
- Worked on the whole multiplayer section:
Projectiles will now be teleported, so you can shoot nails into a teleporter and the appear on the other side of it.
Player and bots have different dismemberment & frag deaths.
- added new enemies and worked on the stock ones:
Hazard Enforcer : Slime shooting Enforcer in a hazard suit.
Nogre : Fires a cloud of nails.
- Dedicated some of the death animations to specific weapons:
The gib stages only have a chance to occur if you shoot something with the nailguns.
Enemies who got killed by explosive weapons always gib completely
Enemies loose limbs when hit with shotguns or energy weapons
The Lightning Gun will either completely gib an enemy or play one of the bloody death animations, no limb loss.
All that varies from enemy to enemy. Don't expect to shoot of a shamblers arm with the single barreled shotgun.
- reduced the chance for limb loss, which makes the fights harder and severing a limb more satisfying again. Reduced the chances for bloody deaths for the same reason
Less is more. With these changes it not every monster pops into a bloody paste and convolutes the screen, the gore happens around 50% less
and that's a good thing, both for atmosphere and for balance.
- added and reworked the pain & bloodskins for :
Ogre & variant, Demon, Shambler, Soldier & variants, Dog, Shalrath, Knight, Hell Knight, Wizard, Fish
With the new skins and the painskins the fights feel more satisfying and intense.
The player body itself doesn't have painskins or bloodskins, because of issues with the selectable shirt and
colours. I'm working on it.
- increased the chance for painloops again, but only a wee bit
- reworked the Nail Ogre skin
- scaled down the gib-heads of every monster
- worked on the berserker monster to get it to work some day
- worked on the hell baron monster code (a free model by Ruin) to get it to work someday
- on certain maps the extra-pickup items won't respawn anymore
- Quake uses the old rotating weapon models and armor model when you play deathmatch
- blood splats from fragging something don't fly upwards forever, so after fraggin something, the ceiling 900 meters above it won't get painted.
- the blood splats behind a shot enemy are now looking better
- explosive weapons only randomly ignite gibs
- added preset qore.cfg and particlefont.tga files for different playstyles
(faithful to the original gameplay but with gore OR with the most kinky other stuf i added so far).
- added different skins for the different soldiers (nails/shotgun)
- added the missing dismemberment bleeding effects for the Fiend/Demon
- Metal sparks added to hit effects for Knight and Hellknight
- enemies will more often get pushed back on death
- added a batch file to start qore
- found out that the footsteps cvar didn't work as it should, fixed it
- reworked the gib velocities and mass
- increased the chainsaw damage by 20 points per frame to make it actually useful
You still need a heckton of skill to use it as a weapon
- fixed the dead-dog slide bug
- hopefully fixed the knight invulnerability bug
(not entirely sure its gone, but i shot a hundred knights without seeing it happening)
Hot to start QORE
- Buy and install Quake -https://store.steampowered.com/app/2310/QUAKE/
- Download Darkplaces - Icculus.org
- Put the Darkplaces files into your Quake 1 Folder, right where the Quake.exe is.
- extract this mod into your Quake folder, so you have ...\Quake\Qore\
- read the qore.cfg file and modify the cvars to your liking.
- Choose the particlefont.tga file that fits your choosen rendermethod and pu it into the particles folder.
- rename it to particlefont.tga
- open the qore modfolder and doubleclick qore.bat
Mind that you can only have 1 single mod with progs.dat file active.
Other mods like HD textures or model replacements should be dropped to the ID1
folder. Maybe you have to adjust the gamme / brightness, because every monitor is different.
How to update
Delete the files in your Qore folder
Copy the new fils into your Qore folder
reconfigure your qore.cfg and particlefont.tga
Start a new game.
Savegames from old versions may still contain old information and can produce unwanted behaviour of... things.
- help from the QuakeOne.com Community
independent.nu - Splatter & Cracking & falling sounds -https://opengameart.org/content/8-wet-squish-slurp-impacts
HaelDB - HaelDB - Armor walking Sounds - Opengameart.org
mikhog - Acid Burn sound - Opengameart.org
adrix89 - Sounds - Opengameart.org
TankersleyFX - Splat sound Effect - Youtube.com
Gumichan01 - Teleporter sound - Opengameart.org
Per Kristian Risvik - for the chainsaw model - firstname.lastname@example.org
Atmostatic - Demonic Eye model - Opengameart.org
oparaskos - Brain model - Blendswap.com
ceriux - for his Kick models - Forums.insideqc.com
Preach - for his weapon models - Tomeofpreach.wordpress.com
Ulrich Galbraith - for the gib models - Openquartz.sourceforge.net
- .qc Tutorials / sources
Matthew Lawrence - for Gyro 2.20 -http://forums.insideqc.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=351
Spike - for the align to ground code - Forums.insideqc.com
Cobalt & PrimalLove for their Punching-vector-hit-codes: Forums.insideqc.com
Dr. Shadowborg For the new weapons tutorial - Forums.insideqc.com
Smoke2Much - For the Clusterbomb tutorial on InsideQC
DarkSide - For the Autoaim Thunderbolt tutorial on InseideQC
Kryten - for the exploding shotgun & the gibbable corpses tutorial on InsideQC
Errorabove[ScI] - for the accelerating rockets tutorial on InsideQC
bart2o - for the kickback tutorial at moddb
Tux - for the splash tutorial on InsideQC
Ze0 - for the footsteps tutorial on InsideQC
Piercing Shotgun mod - Patrick Martin - Ftp.fu-berlin.de
Ryan Smith - For the Frikbot X - Moddb.com
Ursader - For the Teleporting Stuff tutorial - Insideqc.com
James Layman - For the NailOgre Tutorial - Insideqc.com
TheJosh - for the explosion particle atlas Opengameart.org
- particle effects
Instead of red dots. Blood clouds, blood trails, blood decals on walls. Bloody gib trails.
Blood rain. Blood streams. BloodSmokey blood. Brain Blood. Bloody bones. Bloody trousers. Blood on weapons.
Blood on ceilings. In masses. And red. And particles for everything else, like projectiles and explosions.
The most monsters can now loose a limb while they are alive. Some enemy types will get new attacks by this,
others will loose the ability to make a certain attack or can't attack at all. Ogres who lost an arm will
go into a grenade or chainsaw rampage. Zombies can even attack without a head.
- extra bloody monster death animation variations
Every monster can randomly loose bodyparts on death. Or their whole body ;-) All monsters have 2-4
new or mixed death animations
If a monster is hurt enough, it gets unable to fight, stays down and dies after a few seconds. You
can now approach the monster to finish it of.
Many objects are influenced by physical forces. Gibs can float in water, rockets can be driven off course by
explosions, nails also. You can shoot at the corpses of Scrags (if you killed one, he floats now in the air) to send them
in the direction of other enemies before they explode.
- Some of the monster AI behavior changes & new monster variations:
You can switch all of the monster changes on or off, so if you feel something is off ballance, flip the switch in
the qore.cfg file. So far Qore adds the following variations and new abilities to monsters:
More to come.
- Grunts - 3 additional flavours: Nailgun, Super Shotgun, normal, melee (Chainsaw)
- Scrags - Teleport ability, explodes on death
- Ogre - 1 additional flavour: Fires a cloud of nails, grenadier can aim much better
- Enforcers - Normal Enfi can now charge his gun to shoot a laser cascade, the variation fires acid grenades
- Demons - Can now jump very accurate.
- new weapons
: Chainsaw : select axe twice
Much more powerful than your regular axe. Swings from side to side when used, like the axe. The difference is:
It will deal damage with every frame. And if an enemy is low enough on health, the chainsaw will trap itself
in his body, sending him into a painloop until he dies. In a bloody way. But i assume you guessed that already :-)
For now, the player does have this weapon from the start.
: 12-Gauge Fact : select double-shotgun twice
A Double barreled shotgun. What? We already have one of those? Who cares, this one pierces enemies like a railgun.
Fire both barreles after another. Then you have to reload it. Slow but heavy on the damage and it pierces enemies.
Guaranteed no fake news.
: Nailcloud : select Nailgun twice
Fire 5 accelerating nails at the same time with a spread. Great for crowdcontrol, shitty for distant
: Stake Gun : select Super Nailgun twice
Shoot a stake and watch the gibs fly. This is a sniper rifle equivalent.
The Stake ricochets if it hits a wall. Great for trickshots. Can technically
shoot around (several) corners. Probalby the most cool weapon addition.
- Fancy misc stuff:
Liquid splashes, footsteps, falling sounds.
If you frag an enemy, you randomly get extra-ammo and health pickups.
Explosions can set things on fire. If that thing is you, extinguish yourself in water.
- New abilities
impulse 125 : Slide-kick / Slide-shot
impulse 126 : Kick
impulse 127 : Fire Short Range Teleporter
About the extra-attacks:
Slide forward, kick back the target in your way & cause damage.
If you slide into an enemy and your current equipped weapon can kill your target with one shot, you will fire your
weapon instead of kicking him. Explosives are excluded. Except if you have the Pentagram.
You can finish your enemy off, when they are in pain and get some health for the right timing.
If your enemy is not killed by the kick attack, it will just cause damage. If you kick a dead corpse,
you may get some extra-ammo or health.
Both attacks will bring you into game-over situations, if you use them wrong. They are not really meant for fighting :-)
Short Range Teleporter:
You can fire your SRT at an enemy. If you hit you will change places with your target. Enemies in painloops won't
teleport to your former location, they will be telefragged instead. The teleporter works only if it hits a living
being, i.e. a monster or another player. Still have to think for about a delay, so the player can't teleport that often.
Like in many other games you can now perform a double-jump by tapping the jump key 2 times.
With this you can reach ledges and jump over the most monsters.
You can configure some of this mods parameters by editing the qore.cfg file. Have a look at it and play around
with the settings. But make sure, you make a backup file before. If you delete the qore.cfg file, all values will switch
back to their default.
Current possibilities of configuration through cvars:
- chance and amount of extra-items on enemy death
- switch slowmotion effects on / off
- amount of corpse hitpoints for each monster
- instagib chance on death of monster for each monster
- slide range
- kick strength
- footsteps on/off
- chance for slowmotion on frag
- slowmotion after teleporting
- which of the new weapons spawns
- 3rd person camera on death yes / no
All parts that i contributed to this mod are free to reuse and reupload for your own purpose.
Just include this readme file and credit me. For everything else you have to credit the respective modder.