Join our Rome - Total War modding community Discord to track progress and news on our projects! - Discord.com
Optional music addon NOT recommended for YouTube streamers as it contains third party copyright-protected music. Note that main XC installer also has custom music, but those are royalty-free tracks and safe to use.
Extended Cultures is an overhaul mod for Rome Total War which started as a submod of the Extended Greek Mod. It aims to add roleplaying depth, increase challenge for the player and improve historical accuracy.
- Completely new map, adjusted accordingly to known data of ancient geography and climate
- 9 campaigns based on that map variants, with different presets and timeframes, including 275BC Imperial Ambition grand campaign, Caesar's 49BC campaign, and many provincial campaigns with minor factions. Play as Pergamon, Bosporus, Massalia, Tukhara, the Britons, Syracuse or Cyrene. Reimagine 49 BCE with more playable factions as well as Himyar, Meroe, Greko-Baktrian Kingdom, Dacia as new challengers
- 474 unit types with completely overhauled graphics and UIs compared to previous releases of Extended Cultures series (with more than 1500 skins, more than 500 models and more than 1000 UI pairs total)
- All new settlement and region development, a complex technology and economy system, with dynamical changes in building costs and inflation
- All new buildings and events UIs
- 19 playable factions: Rome, Epirus, Baktria, Armenia, Pontus, Parthia, Thrace, Numidia, Sarmatia, Ptolemaic Egypt, Seleucids, Gandhara, Tukhara, Carthage, Germans, Iberia, Gauls, Macedon and Greek Cities
- New battle formations from both Darth and Sinuhets
- Old vanilla historical battles rework with new battlefield experience
- An in-depth trait system designed for an immersive campaign experience. Ethnicity traits, supply system traits, traits that reflect attitude toward the faction leader, traits affected by the character's father, epithet traits, biographies and more!
- A vast AoR system with every region having its own local units which you can recruit by building the AoR barracks.
- A culture system: Western Civilized, Eastern Civilized and Barbarian cultures with their associated colonies. This makes the integration of regions a slower and more realistic process, sometimes it might require installing a client ruler in the region!
- A government system to help with the assimilation of new regions.
- Many new economic buildings and temples.
- A modified Mundus Magnus map stretching from Spain all the way to India (see screenshots).
- Loyalty (if enabled) for Rome, for the Greek factions and for the Gauls.
This mod was made possible thanks to a combined efforts of many modders and contributors.
The most important of them is Suppanut, who worked on this mod for almost 10 years! It is for sure the project of his life, his Magnum Opus. He tried to create his dream mod and put a great part of his kind soul to it. He is also a very polite, wise and calm guy, his charisma kept us together during all these months and who is for sure the Master Yoda of our Rome - Total War Modding Community.
The next big part of the mod was made by me (Lanjane), including lots of textures, models and UIs, this took me several months to complete and this is for sure the biggest project I was ever involved in my life. I will never forget all these countless sleepless nights, and hundreds of hours spent in Photoshop and 3dsMax.
The main concept of the mod was set by Zarax and Suppanut, with the help of various people: GeoHitmanGR, Anakarsis, BHL_20 and many others.
Provincial Campaigns would not be possible without help of Suppanut's friend and modder BHL_20, who spent a lot of time polishing the campaigns balance, adjusting factional powers and initial positions. He was also our PR manager and talented author of preview articles and pre-release article showing XC features. Kudos to him!
Beautiful environment and vegetation of Extended Cultures were made by Robbe Aerts, who also created stunning vegetation and climate for Ahowl's Vanilla Enchancement and Rome: Total Realism 8 mods, and his personal Vegetation mod.
We are very grateful to Ahowl11, who hosts a Git server for the main piece of work, and El Fuego who is the Git server admin.
Also great thanks to my friend crazyroman, who likes Greko-Baktrian world very much. The special love and care to Baktria, Iphicratean warfare and elite hellenistic units of crazyroman is the thing which was one of the most exciting and notable moments during development of the units.
Also big thanks to many other contributors and creators of original content which was used as a raw resource for XC units overhaul. There are too many of them to mention them all here, you'll find them in the mod's ReadMe file.
Due to player could not launch Extended Culture with BI through shortcut in Steam, here is method to do so, all of them are problematic in their own way.
1st method: In case you are lawful person....
This is lawful method as steam prefer you to use and could also use for launching with other exe with similar method.
1) Open steam library panal
2) Right click at Rome Total War Gold Edition, select "Properties".
3) Choose "General" tab
4) select "Set Launch Properties"
5) Type in space provide with...
- "-show_err -nm -mod:xc5" for Extended Cultures 5
- or "-show_err -nm -mod:xc" for Extended Cultures 4
6) Save setting
7) Launching Total War Gold Edition : Barbarian Invasion through steam launcher
2nd Method: If you as cunning as Herakles......
This method is a bit more trickery and as it is involve some modification of your main game file a bit (but not instrusive) I prefer player to do that by their own.
As you may have already know, attempt to run steam version of RomeTW-BI.exe directly would lead to game launching vanilla RomeTW.exe, not RomeTW-BI.exe. There is some trick that you could evade this by rename RomeTW-BI.exe to RomeTW.exe (which is name of vanilla RTW exe) temporary while launching game through exe directly. This would lead game to launch actual steam Barbarian Invasion. You could rename it back after you quit game.
If you want convenient way to do this and not want to repetitively do the same thing every time you could create batch file with this code inside xc5 or xc folder
rename RomeTW.exe RomeTW-Vanilla.exe
rename RomeTW-BI.exe RomeTW.exe
"RomeTW.exe" -mod:xc5 -nm -show_err
rename RomeTW.exe RomeTW-BI.exe
rename RomeTW-Vanilla.exe RomeTW.exe
This batch file would allow you to launch Extended Cultures 5 by Barbarian Invasion through batch file by temporary rename your exe file and rename them back after you push another key on CMD panal after you quit the game.
Reason why I don't include this file into installer pack is due to Lanjane consider this as modify vanilla game without player's knowledge as he prefer method which I would explain it further (4th method).
3rd Method: If you savy enough for Hermes to called you father.....
It is not impossible for you user to run Barbarian Invasion without need of renaming file or permanent modification of game but this involve hacking your own pc for some key data. It is completely legal to do it on your own computer but for us to do that as 3rd party from installer, it is not ethical at all.
Method for doing that is like this....
1) Download and Launch process explorer and find your steamID
Launch Rome: Total War. Minimize RTW and open Process Hacker. Find ROMETW.EXE in the process list and double click on it. Select the "Environment" tab then scroll down the list and you will see STEAMID with a number next to it, that is your Steam ID number.
2) created batch file with this code
set SteamAppUser=*steam-login-id* set SteamAppVersi
set SteamPath="C:\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\Program Files (x86)\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\Steam\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
set ValvePlatformMutex="c:/program files (x86)/steam/steam.exe" set __STEAM_BOOTSTRAPPER_IC
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:xc5 -nm -show_err
Change "set SteamAppUser=" and "set SteamUser=" to your Steam login ID which could be found by either using ProcessHacker or ProcessExplorer.
Change "set SteamPath" and "set ValvePlatformMutex" if your Steam installation is located elsewhere.
Change the bottom line if your Rome: Total War: Barbarian Invasion installation is located elsewhere.
If you using this for launch Extended Cultures 4, change "-mod:xc5" to "-mod:xc"
3) Launch mod with batch file
We could not do this for you due to outsider doing so would consider as act of thief.
Extended Cultures 5 Preview #3 - Massylii and Gandhara Unit Rosters.
No articles were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the article list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Post article and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.
Installer for those who don't register RTW CD version into window registry (so install option do not appear for them in normal version because it fails...
This patch design to reduce memory usage on sound content for XC5 as small as possible for person who have performance problem
No files were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the file list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Add file and help us achieve our mission of showcasing the best content from all developers. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.