I suggest downloading the development version of BrewLAN instead of this one. Read the full description for details. If you insist on downloading BrewLAN version 0.5.8.1 make sure to follow the installation instructions, including downloading Sorian AI and the brewlan.scd.
BrewLAN 0.5.8.1 is old, depreciated, buggy, has obscure dependancies, and in some modules downright doesn't work; it was a lesson in not rushing for Christmas releases and only hasn't been replaced by a new public release for various personal reasons and reasons related to the completeness of many of the newer features in the development build. I highly recommend downloading said development build instead. [Click here to download the GitHub development build of BrewLAN.] (Aside: The contents of that link represent the absolute latest version of BrewLAN at time of download, and is prone to updates.)
Installation of the dev build is much the same as any other build, except it requires no additional outside elements, as all the hard dependencies and omissions have been fixed. You can find instructions here.
If you are still determined to download 0.5.8.1, godspeed to you.
- Remove any previous versions of BrewlAN, and anything BrewLAN related.
- Place the brewlan.scd file into the gamedata folder. [Download the brewlan.scd here.]
- Missing the brewlan.scd will cause missing textures for strategic icons, order buttons, and unit icons.
- Place the contents of the 7Z mods folder into your mods folder. If there is no mods folder create one. Possible locations are:
- "...\Steam\SteamApps\common\supreme commander forged alliance\mods\".
- "...\Program Files\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance\mods\"
- "...\My Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\mods\"
- If you don't have Sorian AI installed (FAF comes with Sorian AI) choose one of the following:
Change summary since 0.5.1:
- Seraphim Experimental Resurrection Engineer (unfinished, but usable)
- Seraphim Experimental Rapid-Fire Artillery
- Aeon Tech 1 Torpedo Bomber
- Seraphim Tech 1 Torpedo Bomber
- Five additional sub-mods, all outlined below.
- Field engineers can now build air staging.
- Centurion movement speed reduced to 15, from 18.
- Centurion crash damage reduced to 5000, from 7500.
- SACUs now have an upgrade to allow construction of field engineer unique tech.
- Paragon no longer breaks adjacent buildings that require energy.
- Gantry can now build Tech 3 sonar while on water.
Sorian AI changes:
- Now treat the Absolution as a Fatboy.
- Centurions have custom behaviour, which includes pancaking Paragons.
- Gantry has real orders. And a separate module for AI cheats.
- Gantry will build all and any experimentals available to it.
- BrewUI is non-essential, and adds all the additional field engineers to the idle engineer tabs. This version is completely dormant while BrewLAN is disabled, but may conflict with mods with a "/hook/lua/ui/game/avatars.lua" file while BrewLAN is active.
- BrewLAN: Gantry AIx 1 adds an extra level of difficulty to UEF Sorian AIx's. Use if regular AIx isn't enough to challenge you. For modders it also acts as a scripting side example of how to create mods for mods.
- Crystal Hill is a game-mode mod that adds an additional victory condition. A crystal is spawned in the middle of the map, capturing and maintaining it win will you (and possibly your team) the game. Some minor AI support.
- Paragon Game is a game-mode mod designed for non-symmetrical 1 vs Many games. The player(s) on the smallest team(s) are given a Paragon, 4 shields and a SACU. This mod also adds 3 extra factional Paragons, and restricts Paragon construction for people who don't start with one. AI can behave weird when given a Paragon.
- Metal World removes the restrictions from mass extractors. AI get flagrant hax to work well with Metal World.
- Waterlag adds aquatic abilities to each building that isn't a factory, wall, silo, or experimental. AI make occasional use of this.
If you install Battlefeel 3.5.1 after this don't allow it to add to or change the BrewLAN files; they are based on BrewLAN 0.4.4 or earlier files and will break a great number of things. If you already had Battlefeel 3.5.1 before installing this, be sure to remove the BrewLAN folder created by it.
If you are running on FAF, for best results run on the BlackOps game mode. The irony is strong with this one, but regular FAF breaks a number of things, which work on the BlackOps game mode.