Seeing that no one wrote an article about this, I decided to do it myself, the following methods should allow you to manually change the screen resolution for the game to whichever you want. The Main Menu offers quite a few resolutions but sometimes you may want a more specific resolution. You can enter it manually this way.
- Make sure to change quality under system settings in the game menu before doing this if you haven't already, if you make any other changes to the video settings after applying these custom changes they won't be saved, and the game will use the ones you set in the menu instead.
- aspect ratio values are 0 for a 4:3 display, 1 for a 16:9 display (widescreen) and 2 for a 16:10 display.
Method 1 :
- Open the Console
- Write r_Mode -1 and press enter.
- Write r_AspectRatio VALUE and press enter.
- Write r_CustomHeight XXXX and press enter (Replace XXXX with the height of screen you want)
- Write r_CustomWidth XXXX and press enter (Replace XXXX with the width of screen you want)
- Write vid_Restart and press enter.
And there you go, the game might crash for some computers after using vid_restart so try re-launching it if that happens, the changes should be applied next time you start the game. I don't know why this happens but I'm guessing it's because the game hasn't been updated to work properly on modern operating systems.
Method 2 :
- Head to your Doom3/base folder or Doom3/d3xp and open DoomConfig.cfg using notepad (as admin if you're using Windows 7/8/8.1/10...etc)
- Add the following lines: seta r_Mode -1, seta r_CustomHeight XXXX and seta r_CustomWidth XXXX to the very bottom. don't replace any of the existing lines, and put each one in a separate line.
- Add the following line: r_AspectRatio VALUE to the very bottom. don't replace any of the existing lines, and write it in a separate line.
- Save changes and run game.
The order in which you enter these commands doesn't matter, as long as you place them at the very bottom of the .cfg file they will be applied.
That's all, make sure to replace XXXX with the dimensions of your screen and VALUE with the value of the aspect ratio you wish the game to be displayed in.