Paper-cut day. Went through some of the things I found in my play-through at the end of last week:
- Re-did the introductory lines of the NPC in Ytene. She mentions the path into the woods and the need for a shovel to get through.
- Used a glowing Maenhir instead of my rubbish plinth to hold the master sword in Henge End’s baby dungeon
- Re-did the cut-scenes in this room, to make sense of the new layout
- Sticky mitt totems can disable their ZTarget UI icons if they’re “hidden” in the overworld
- Made a bunch of audio fixes (stuff missing, wrong physics materials for foley)
- Dungeon doors no longer remove the wand from the player’s hand when they walk through
- Cairns in East Ley show the current count of cairns destroyed, rather what the count was when they died. And now they all update each time one is destroyed.
- That also works when you come in and out of the map (was broken before)
- All the rats in East Ley are destroyed when the shrine cut scene begins. The pitter patter of tiny feet was annoying me! :D
- Skinny wasn’t giving out a quest. Because I broke it last week.
- Skulls now keep a reference to their spawned audio, so when they die they can fade out any screams/explosions nicely
- Doors can now optionally prevent giving out info messages if the player’s in specific quests while they’re locked.
I think I’m winding up on this pass for SUL. I know the quests aren’t tied up, but they can’t be until the pseudo-dungeon for the Spa is complete, and I want to get more overworld stuff in place before I do any Dungeons.
So more paper-cuts, to leave it in a reasonable state:
- Bomb Berries shake the camera and trigger haptics when they explode
- There’s now a hidden bomb berry plant in SUL.
- Fixed some weird issue with the timer callbacks on the night-time Bomb Berries. None of them were re-spawning. NO idea why Timer by Function Name was failing. Timer By Event works fine…
- Made some free-standing torch lights for the druid camp. Can re-use those all over the place
- Fixed some audio spacial / concurrency issues I noticed with the flame audio. Think these have been broken for a while, and I’d not noticed.
- Keith’s door now has an Info statement when it’s locked
- Keith’s dialog makes a little more sense in any of the quest states.
And then I started work on the game’s website. I just need something skinny, as a placeholder, but with a video that I can also put on the Steam page. Think it’ll take me a few days.
Built a website! Play-maenhir.com
It’s a bit placeholder – just a single page right now – but it has lots of new screenshots (couple below) and a minute gameplay tease. Like a dumb-ass, I recorded all the gameplay with OBS, at 30hz... Interlaced?! I have no idea why it why the encoder did that, but Resolve wouldn’t do anything with it and refused to de-interlace it. Ho hum.
On the plus side, it’s a good reason to replace it sooner rather than later!
I’ve done all the shameless self-promotion on the socials, so I can move on to something else for a while. Maybe a new area of the map.