This is all about journalism.
What people need is "news", and news is:
1) whatever that has been news before
2) whatever new and cool
3) whatever most people want to read
You absolutelly want to have type "1" news: post updates about your mods, so people know how evolve, and hype will grown.
About 2: Maybe overrated. Nothing is new under the sun, but If you have something new, try it
About 3: If is interesting, even not gamers will read it, that is a bonus.
ABOUT THE NEWS GUYS
Most people are lazy. But the newguys are the most lazy peope on earth. Well.. this is actually false. But If you think is true, your pimping will be better <evil grin>
1) Never give unfinished stuff to newsguys. Give everything finished, readable, spellchecked, etc.. Test your links, too.
2) Never assume the newguys will try the game to test your mod. Are like lazy bastards <evil grin>. Play the game and write "Its fun to play!". You can abuse. Its Ok to write everything, even the player impresions. Newsguys will never do the work, can't really test all mods of all games, are humans, pah... humans!
3) ScreenShots and Screenshots. No one want to read anymore. Give images, avoid text. Everybody LOVE videos. You can update videos to Yourtube so people can check. UPDATE 2008: Moddb has a video section. USE IT DAMNIT!
A sucesfulll pimping lord will have sucesfull news even on enormeous news weblogs, like Slashdot.
4) Try to Slashdot, or whatever. THINK BIG.
This is about the tiny micro-management needed for sucesfull pimping:
1) Save "send news to" links and mails.
2) Mail news suggestions often. I hate stagnate weblogs.
3) Get hired yourself as newguys on weblogs that you want to ab^H^Huse to post your news.
4) Make friends, and fun with this stuff.
5) Being evile its ok, but be POLITE its more important: french kiss everybody.
6) Screenshoting is a art. Videomaking with music is a art
This tutorial its BETA. I accept suggestions to enhance. I am still waiting suggestions (this was posted in oct 2004)
Now continue reading about this topic on this tutorial:
getting-the-first-impressions-right. <-- VERY GOOD TUTORIAL!