As we recently completed Update 4 and have been featured on home page of ModDB, more and more people are wondering what the mod team is up to. While we won't reveal everything, here is what we have going on.
Posted by Heaney on Sep 4th, 2010
State of the Mod Progress
As we recently completed Update 4 and have been featured on home page of ModDB, more and more people are wondering what the mod team is up to. While we won't reveal everything, here is what we have going on:
- K-9 (from Ramna): prep work in 3ds Max, this is more of a research & development unit to hone our modeling skills for practice. Expect to see this in game by the weekend, though without texture skin for now.
- LaCampana (new map): Balancing design work is under way, mainly on spawn loations. Game testing have been started. Spawn zone design/tests are expected to be completed sometime next week.
- M109 Paladin: Preliminary research phase has been started on implementing a 5-round Multiple Rounds Simultaneous Impact (MRSI) script.
- Russian tactical aircraft program: We have chosen Su-27 and Tu-160. Work on su-27 is set to be started within a week by a professional modeler acting as a contractor. Funding of $50 for mesh model has been allocated for this program. Tu-160 is still planned but is currently NOT budgeted for. Donations are requested to keep this project moving forward.
- 96K6/SA-22 Pantsir SAM replacement project: We're in the process of negotiating with a studio firm that has created a nicely done high-polygon version of Pantsir. They've agreed to create a low poly but highly detailed variant at 14,000 polygon for us, pricing projected to be around $80. The funding for this project has already been budgetted for.
- MIM-104 PATRIOT system upgrades: Lewes has started working on re-making the MPQ-65 radar set, and may be working on a HEMTT truck to tow the units as well (depending on his time/avaialbility basis). His new radar model will replace the current radar with better texture and functioning radar turret system. Since Lewes is volunteering as in-house artist, this project currently does not require any money.
- BMP-3: We have found a good model for $120 on TurboSquid, however, we are currently looking for a better model right now. We expect to have an update on this in about 2-3 weeks from now with final decisions set by then. Funding for this proejct has been allocated and budgeted.
- B-2 Bomber Program: B-2 model was completed by Lewes along with UVW mapping. Once K-9 artillery project is completed by Ranma, he will have improved know-how and experience in creating a new unit skin from scratch based on set UV coordinates. After K-9 is completed, we will look into the B-2 on creating a skin texture. As B-2 project is being operated as in-house project, no funding is required.
- Infantry skin upgrades (MARPAT and Desert MARPAT): This project is in our todo list, but no date or ETA has been set. We're probably a month or so at least away before we can start on this project.
- US Light to Medium Armor Upgrade Program: Stryker MGS and TOW variants are scheduled to be created based on our existing ICV model to completely replace out the Sheridan and M60 Patton tanks in the game. This is on our todo list, but no date or ETA has been set. I believe we're at least a month or so away before we can start on this project.
We would like to re-iterate the fact that each of the tasks outlined above take significant amount of our time to complete. We know many people want xyz and infantry skin upgrades, but honestly, it's going to take a while. Art is a very complicated process especially in MW Mod's way of doing things. It took us 2 weeks to create animation for Sensor Fuzed Weapon that only lasts for 8 seconds. Took 1 week to create S-300 and PATRIOT missile animations, etc. This stuff is tough, so please be patient if you don't see us doing stuff that you wanted us to do.