Modern Warfare Mod brings World in Conflict from the Cold War into the Modern Age. It also ups the ante on realism and authenticity in every role – Infantry, Armor, Support and Air, while trying our best to keep everything relatively balanced for fun and interesting gameplay.

Forum Thread
A-10 strike (Games : World in Conflict : Mods : WIC: Modern Warfare Mod : Forum : Suggestions : A-10 strike ) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 9 2010 Anchor

Heard about how you wanted to remove the A-10 strafe because it was overpowered for it's price and if you increase the price it become kind of useless.

I thought instead you could do a replacement that cost much more say little more than the heavy air strike

this would do 2 A-10's a full payload similar to the one in Arma with no fuel tanks (say he is from a close by airbase) that fly in from similar directions one after another it will include;

The gua-8 that will shoot at vehicles, infantry, buildings, whatever enemy you have in view

Then 4 mavericks that lock on to tanks

4 cluster bombs to be droped in the the area

2 ffar pods that just shoot at infantry

and if you really want to over power this thing give it aim-9's

you could even add more if you wanted to, gotta love that a-10

Would this be difficult to do? I'm guessing so, the combination of haveing the gua-8 select targets and the droping bombs might be impossible, but instead you could do it like the regular strike line where it fires across this line with ffar's, gua-8, and cluster bombs, then the mavericks and aim-9s go off to any target within a certain angle of attack, but the gun choseing targets would be amazingly cool.

Well theres my idea of the month, who wants to shoot it down?

Edited by: cpl.fernandez

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Dec 9 2010 Anchor

Hey,

The new upcoming heavy air support A-10 package would fly in with AGM-65D PGM's, which can be intercepted and shot down by Pantsir and Tor.

Since it is interceptable TA, it would be priced at a good value (i.e. 10 TA).

I think it should be a good trade-off.

We'll leave the tank-buster version of A-10 unchanged as is with GAU-8, but since you cannot shoot down GAU-8 bulllets, much less shoot down the a-10 itself in the current version of the mod, it would not be cheap.

And btw, A-10C never fires Maverick missiles against 4 separate tanks in one pass.

The only time you can do that is:

1. Pilot is very very pro at keeping his aircraft trimmed in all directions and/or locked in auto-pilot: AND
2. at the same time, pilot manages to move the lock pipper to next tank in a small IR field of view that is a major pain in the ass to move and navigate, 4-6km away, or use Force-Correlate tracking mode on Maverick imaging seeker, which even then, will be a very hard task to lock a tank quickly.

In reality, you'll see only 1 Maverick fired against 1 tank, or more than 1 Maverick fired against ONE tank in a ripple-fire. But you're not going to see Mavericks being distributed against several targets like you do on WiC right now.

There is a reason why Apache Longbow is a deadlier tank killer than A-10, far deadlier. I know it makes air force guys get little itchy, but it is a fact.

Dec 10 2010 Anchor

So could you clarify please? The A-10 strike will be made into a maverick attack, with so many planes flying over(1 plane = 1 target?)
And the original strafe will be increased in price or will you just be changeing heavy air strike to only fire one missile?

About the being able to shoot down the missile
Why not make it so you can shoot down the A-10's (This is based of the idea you could shoot down planes and this was said to be able to be done vrs the paradrop unless this is just the parachutes and not the cargo plane)
and if not will the missiles be priority over the aircraft or vice versa? It seems like with the number of missiles and aircraft that can be engaged by the Russian anti-air over whelming the system might be fairly easy, one A-10 strike + Apache + the hellfire it fired + cruise missile = Fucked and if anything I'd of wanted to engage some priority target like apache or the cruise missile since it can reaquire.

Just a question about game limits, could you make the gau-8 select differnt targets instead of just a defined path, this could make for a much more multipurpose heavy air strike, such as possibly makeing it able to drop what is required for the situation. This would be one of the coolest looking ta's if you could do this. Also I feel this would be more realistic than having the A-10 shoot a line in the sand because because this is just unlikly that an a-10 pilot would waste ammo like that.

Su-39 attack could also be upgraded by this, unfortunatly the su-39 weapon's system capabilities is limited against the A-10 so balance is a problem

And also didn't know that, knew how the missile system works but never put it together that you could very likly only get off one missile off and hit the target.

Heaney
Heaney Community Manager
Dec 10 2010 Anchor

Su-39? It's Su-25...
Yes, I know that Su-39 is just the designation for Su-25TM, but I think the Su-25T is the main one used.

--

Heaney

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Dec 10 2010 Anchor

The original 'Tankbuster' strafe that fires GAU-8 stream is being increased in price to prevent players from spamming them on SAM sites, etc. It won't be too expensive, because we don't want support players camping out while fully knowing that enemy has seen them.

Heavy Air Support TA is the one we are changing to 1 AGM, 1 plane and probably rename it to just 'Close Air Support" or something similar. It will get a TA reduction.

Shooting down A-10 is not on the menu. It takes a looooong time to write an auto pilot navigation software for a unit, especially to resemble an airplane, it's near impossible given the current code constraint. So shooting down a plane is not going to happen in 2.0, unless you guys don't want the mod to ever be released. So it will be a while, may be in the future we can do it, but just not right now.

And GAU-8 does not select different targets in real-life. When you fire it, it's a quick burst in nearly uncontrolled fashion -- the way WiC portrays GAU-8 gun strafing right now is extremely accurate, other than the fact that it is piercing thru T-80U armor from any aspect (that part is inaccurate).

If you'd like to see how A-10 attacks and performs in real-life, I recommend that you check out www.digitalcombatsimulator.com and pre-order the DCS:A-10C and get into their beta. It is practically same as the one in real-life and derived from the same version used by the US Air National Guard's Desktop Simulator for A-10 pilots (written/made by same company that made DCS:A-10C).

Edited by: blahdy

Heaney
Heaney Community Manager
Dec 10 2010 Anchor

blahdy wrote:
And GAU-8 does not select different targets in real-life. When you fire it, it's a quick burst in nearly uncontrolled fashion -- the way WiC portrays GAU-8 gun strafing right now is extremely accurate, other than the fact that it is piercing thru T-80U armor from any aspect (that part is inaccurate).

I've only seen a few documentries so I can't claim to be an expert, but I'm pretty sure about 3, maybe 5 PGU-14/B rounds will go straight through a T-80U...

--

Heaney

Dec 10 2010 Anchor

I stated that a little oddly okay obviously the gau-8 is not on a robotic auto engaging turret even though that would be straight up bad assery but when the A-10 engages a tank they will aim at the tank and then pull the trigger once or twice, atleast from any video or game I've ever read I have never read that they attacked tanks in a line up to them and past them it would seem to me that this would waste ammo but I suppose if you were going to be completly unsure of bullet drop you could do this.

the target area would look kind of like this I thought aims at the tank with the 0 in the middle and bullets would land in a radious around it

/-----------\
/ ___ \
| |__0__} |
\ ********* /
\_______/

rather than this again 0 being where he aims
| 0 |
| 0 |
| 0 |
| ____ |
| |_0_| |
| 0 |
| 0 |
| 0 |

while the bullets will likly go above and below the target they are much more centralized at least from what I have seen if I'm wrong my bad just making sure you understood the post correctly.
I will not claim to know much about penetration power of the gau-8 30mm rounds because I don't

And seriously dude you just admited the su-25t is called the su-39 why bother saying that is not the widely used name.

Heaney
Heaney Community Manager
Dec 10 2010 Anchor

cpl.fernandez wrote:
And seriously dude you just admited the su-25t is called the su-39 why bother saying that is not the widely used name.

Wow, you rock at reading:

Heaney wrote: Su-39 is just the designation for Su-25TM

Did I say Su-25T? No. I said Su-25TM.

--

Heaney

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Dec 10 2010 Anchor

But the problem is that while your pipper/bullet distribution box is fine, you're not accounting for the fact that the gunner has forward inertial velocity at subsonic speeds.

Pulling the trigger on GAU-8 for more than very brief will cause the bullets to form up a walking line, not because the gun is problematic, but because the gun is moving forward.

I mean I can try to decrease the gun walk box more, it would give more penetration power but it would be almost like LGB on size, lol

Edited by: blahdy

Dec 10 2010 Anchor

Okay yeah wasn't really reading it I just saw what you said something about the su-39 or su-25tm and was just a little pissed off about that anyways su-25tm is used just not in large number but considering the mi-28 is being used in this mod I don't think it's a big deal.

Yeah this is all dependent on the idea of having the gau-8 on the A-10 fire while doing the current heavy air support rather than the current A-10 shooting a line in the sand hopeing for someone to be there, again just a suggestion.

Oh by the way are you going to make dust particles stay in the air longer would be a cool effect to do, probably lots of work though.

blahdy
blahdy Data-Linked AA-12
Dec 10 2010 Anchor

cpl.fernandez wrote:
Oh by the way are you going to make dust particles stay in the air longer would be a cool effect to do, probably lots of work though.

No. It's not because it is hard, but it's not being done out of performance reasons. Game lags too much and crashes otherwise when it is overwhelmed.

Dec 10 2010 Anchor

Understandable okay

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.