It took us a while, but we managed to get rtcwcoop 0.9.4 ready for release !
This release has one interesting new feature and one interesting bugfix. All the other stuff is minor.
So I'll start with the interesting bugfix. Sage went through all the map scripts and modified all the parts
that could possibly break the maps during coop play. Some maps got even modified to make them more fun during a coop session.
- Escape2 is reworked and has now a dynamitable door. The dynamite needs to be picked up somewhere in the map (10 possible locations)
- Tram has now a second tramcar, so late joiners or people who spawn incorrectly can reach the bottom a bit easier. The enemies are also a bit modified.
- The elevators in Rocket are now faster and not so annoying anymore.
- Church and Castle had sound bugs.
- The truck in Forest shouldnt break anymore and do what it is supposed to do: driving to the finish
- End map is made coop friendly, AI's don't fight eachother anymore and there's more ammo/health available
- Crypt1 was sometimes unfinishable, this is fixed
- Dam has also better (and faster) elevators, also the AI's are working better now.
New feature: play as axis in the speedrun gametype
If you choose the speedrun gametype, you have now the possibility to play in the axis team. During warmup (yes I added warmup) you can select to join the axis team in the ingame menu, or use the console command (/team red or /team blue to go back to allies). An axis player always spawns at the location of a bot and this bot is killed (offered). The axis team allows place for 1 or 2 human players, depending on the total number of players on the server. When 8 people are playing a maximum of 2 axis players is possible, in all other situations only one.
Other minor new features and bugfixes
- Hirko started working on new levelshots (the ones with coop action on it are his, the others are placeholders made by me)
- Warmup, the time is tweakable by the cvar g_warmup (lower than 5 is not possible)
- Support for mapname_notebook.menu and mapname_clipboard.menu no changes to menus.txt is needed to make it work. This is useful for custom maps.
- Map scripts now accept a g_random cvar this is useful to spawn entities in random locations, see escape2 for examples.
- cg_fancyfx cvar, all new visual things that can break older computers must be enabled by this cvar, its off by default, this includes the greyscale rendering when you are dead, this might fix some peoples problem with a crashing game if they die. The default value is 0. If you want to have a greyscale screen when you're dead (like it was default before), you have to set this cvar to cg_fancyfx to 1 (and also set the r_greyscale cvar to the correct value)
- The code is now ready to be translated, but I'm mentally not ready for it yet :p
- The intro video now works on widescreen
- After a long time, servers stopped working, this is fixed now
- Friendly fire was broken, it works again !
- Numsecrets was broken again, I fixed it, again :)
- I modified the norespawn script function so it now accepts an aiName, just like the alertentity function
- Stop sending servercommands to bots
- Crash bug when you die (see above)
Capuzzo coop campaign (3 maps) by Sage
Sage released his 3 map coop campaign as a first beta, you can find a local mirror here.
I played an alpha version of this campaign with him and it is a lot of fun. I'll be running it on my server so you can play it.
Statistics about previous releases
0.9.3 had 2854 downloads
0.9.2 had 1018 downloads
0.9.1 had 743 downloads
0.9 had 1501 downloads
So it looks like 0.9.3 was pretty popular. But you have to keep in mind that it took much longer to release 0.9.4 than the previous ones.
Don't forget to join our forum to talk about this new release. Rtcwcoop.com