In 2011 I started browsing the latest graphical/sound quake mods, putting together a pretty build using LordHavoc's darkplaces, rygel's ultra textures packs, the reforged packs and a variety of mods, to play quake original. Anyone can do the same, however the hassle comes when you have to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the mods working as playing the game. So I put together a nice-looking build of quake original and it's expansions called epsilon for everybody to get into, without getting into the hassle of config files and searching to find every available mod then getting them to work! The main quake build also includes the original shareware first quarter of the quake game - it is easily upgraded to the full game by dropping in the pak0.pak and pak1.pak files from the full game's id1 directory (more details below).
The new version: faster, faster to download, faster loading, better looking, only one build instead of four (four graphics modes), hi poly models, loads of bugs fixed, tons of stuff optimized. See description for more.
Please note this version is not compatible with previous releases, previous release savegames or with previous releases of MP1/MP2/etc. I will be releasing those in time :)
Top level changes:
* Consolidated four builds into one, wrote batch/bash scripts for users to switch graphics quality levels (which swap graphics packages in and out and change game settings).
* Optimised rygel texture pack and qrp texture packs, fixed missing textures, improving performance (~10fps on my machine) and reducing download and loading times.
* Wrote bash scripts for running on Mac/Linux, retained executable permission status of darkplaces in package (thanks to LordHavoc and Andlinux).
* Added high poly packages for 'ultra' and 'high' graphics quality levels
* Consolidated build size is now about 2.2GB, about 2/3 the size of the original 'ultra' build and 1/4 the size of all of the previous builds put together.
Lower level changes:
* Changed TGA's to PNG's (when alpha's present) or jpeg in most packages to reduce size.
* Optimised performance settings and packages for each graphics level
* Separated normal textures out (not used in Low quality level) from other packages.
* Optimised SMC effects enabled for each quality level
* Optimised lighting settings for 'Low' quality level ('high' lighting).
* New sky for some levels (moondrunk/jenk/beafeater, me)
* Better teleport and slime textures for rygels pack (edited by me)
* Re-zipped pk3s using store. Faster loading, negligible size difference, better overall compression for downloadable zip (equates to 'solid' archiving for individual archives).
* Removed lightbeam support from reflecting overload. Until such point in time as computers quadruple their single core processing speed or darkplaces becomes multiprocessor-secure.
* A myriad of other fixes
Quake Epsilon is a graphically enhanced build of shareware Quake 1 for Windows/Linux/Mac, which can be upgraded to the full version of Quake along with it's mission packs Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity by copying the full-version .pak files into the correct folders.
It's made out of the Darkplaces engine and many mods from members of the Quake One forums and elsewhere as well as my own work. If it were not for these people, this build would not exist, so consider thanking the authors directly. These builds are legal and do not contain pirated content. Just simple unzip-and-play stuff.
Lordhavocs Darkplaces: Icculus.org
Quake shareware: Quakeone.com
Seven's Lava mod: Quakeone.com
Moondrunk/JenK/Beafeater moving sky: Quakeone.com
Mindgrid Audio upgrade: Quakeone.com
Ooppee's explosive barrels upgrade: Quakeone.com
Seven's Small mod compilation: Quakeone.com
Environment effects (various authors): Quakeone.com
Seven's Pretty water and Vis'd maps: Quakeone.com
Reflecting overload (various authors): Quakeone.com
Quake Reforged Monster skins (bestiary): Quakeone.com
Quake reforged project health packs (various authors): Quakeone.com
Rygel's texturepacks (my build of this is an optimised one): Quakeone.com
Diabolipak music replacement: Quakeone.com
Fredrikh Shambler remodel: Fredrikh.deviantart.com
Effect-enabled powerups (various authors): Quakeone.com
Inkub's RTLights: Qrp.quakeone.com<
Shamblers Castle Hipoly models and Skins: Quakeone.com
Fragger's skins: Quakeone.com
MH's .lit lighting pack: Quaketastic.com