Heath Games' Second installment of the Horror Mod series, "Half-Rats". Taking place in July of 1883. Soundtrack courtesy of Ague. Beware, this mod is pretty much NOTHING like Half-Life.

Forum Thread
I am 《B4BY-B33-396》 (Who likes Half Life and its mods) (Games : Half-Life : Mods : Half-Rats: Parasomnia : Forum : Introduce Yourself! : I am 《B4BY-B33-396》 (Who likes Half Life and its mods)) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 6 2016 Anchor

Btw, I found Half Rats Fever Dream on 2015 ago, when I was not yet joined to ModDB, Quite intrested though, Some new features like Subtitle, Characters, And Voice Characters is great, and now, Im looking forward to this mod, cause it looks intresting than the last one!

So Mr.Rats will you planning A new Mod after this one?

Anyway:

I LOVE YOUR MODS AND GAMES HEATH GAMES ♡♡♡ :D ♡♡♡

Edited by: [_-=MTB=-_]

shepard62fr
shepard62fr weapon_baguette
Dec 6 2016 Anchor

Half-Rats is so tired of Gold Source that the next installment in the series is going to be on Unreal Engine 4.

--

GiveNamedItem( "weapon_baguette" );
Dec 7 2016 Anchor

If someone gave me these two choices:

1. Develop another game on Goldsource.

Or

2. Go back in time and serve 4 tours in Vietnam with the promise of getting a bunch of money if you survive.

I'd be packing for 'Nam quickly.

Dec 11 2016 Anchor
Half-Rats wrote:

If someone gave me these two choices:

1. Develop another game on Goldsource.

Or

2. Go back in time and serve 4 tours in Vietnam with the promise of getting a bunch of money if you survive.

I'd be packing for 'Nam quickly.

Just curious, why won't you develop mods on Goldsrc anymore? Is it just because you're tired of working with it or because it's hard/complicated to work with it (outdated tools, hard to code, lack of documentation and stuff like that). I'm asking this because I'm thinking to start developing a mod myself and apart from some mapping I did in the past I don't really know what to expect from developing a real mod for HL1.

Dec 11 2016 Anchor

Well, from my point of view, we have encountered a lot of difficulties while developing Parasomnia. Our main problem was that, since the source code for GoldSRC is still in Valve's hands, we had a lot of engine limitations. We wanted to do so much, but the engine just couldn't handle it. GoldSRC is a beautiful engine and a great one for beginners. I still continue to use GoldSRC for my own project, which is a simple, vanilla Half-Life mod. And I highly suggest this engine, if you want to do something along those lines and gain some experience. But, if you want to do something more, then GoldSRC isn't really your thing. We reached our limits with Parasomnia and this engine just can't offer us something new for the next installment. And that's why we are moving on.

Dec 12 2016 Anchor

Ah, I see, so it's all about the engine's flexibility. I suppose that won't be a problem for me since I plan to make a vanilla mappack too. I really wonder what's keeping Valve from releasing the source code...

Dec 12 2016 Anchor

If you plan to create a vanilla mappack, then GoldSRC is just fine. The developing progress will also give you some insight of how everything works, so you'll be more experience if you want to move on to a newer engine later on. I would suggest UE4 or Unity for that ;) .

And I've been wondering the same thing...

Dec 22 2016 Anchor

Yeah, Turpow - if you're doing vanilla stuff, you'll be golden!

shepard62fr
shepard62fr weapon_baguette
Jan 25 2017 Anchor
Turpow wrote:

Ah, I see, so it's all about the engine's flexibility. I suppose that won't be a problem for me since I plan to make a vanilla mappack too. I really wonder what's keeping Valve from releasing the source code...

If you have some time to spare, you can read this to see about the state of open-sourcing Gold Source.

--

GiveNamedItem( "weapon_baguette" );
Feb 1 2017 Anchor
shepard62fr wrote:
Turpow wrote:

If you have some time to spare, you can read this to see about the state of open-sourcing Gold Source.

If I understood correctly, Valve isn't against open-sourcing the engine, but after a server problem the source code got lost and Valve would need a team to reassemble the pieces together...and now I'm seeing this (https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1290213&p=51734750#post51734750). Apparently the Sven Co-op team managed to obtain all of the source files before they got lost, and the community is trying to ask the mod's team to contact Valve and ask for their permission to release it?

Pretty confusing situation...sad to see people arguing over this.

Edited by: unnamed_remove

Feb 1 2017 Anchor

Well I did not know there was so much drama behind the release of the GoldSRC engine for potential public use. And I sure didn't know Valve lost all their files due to a server crash.

Since I don't really know what is happening behind the scenes, I just hope that the engine will be released as open-source at some point. But, I strongly believe that Valve doesn't care less about this issue. It will be released only if a small circle of Valve devs will seriously look into this and convince their managers that it is for the best for the company to do so.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.