You, James Bernier - a dangerous offender, authorities caught and landed in jail. He was sentenced to death. He decided to try to escape, he was able to pull out a knife from a soldier and put it in the camera's field of view. But then came fate. The intercom turns on and says, "Come. You can not use a knife, the soldiers are armed." James obediently moves out of the camera view and goes for a soldier. He understands that this is the end .... - By [1B]GadenbIsh
I remember playing this a long time ago, and it certainly hasn't aged very well.
The level design was simple, yet the pacing and enemy placement was hideous. Most of the time your facing over a dozen grunts who rip you to shreds as soon as you step into a room, making the mod unbearably difficult even on easy settings.
The mod has some potential but besides the interesting perspective of a black ops soldier, there isn't much for me to recommend upon finishing it.
It's meh, and if you can manage to beat the mod on hard, you deserve some sort of medal D:
Let me preface this by saying I played this on hard. Easier difficulties may or may not be enjoyable.
- Playing as a Black Ops soldier and fighting with them
- The Black Mesa parts are more enjoyable
- The ending was cool (or near ending anyway)
- Not English. Unless you understand I think, Russian, you will have no idea what's going on.
- Mapping/texture errors (hall of mirrors, seeing straight through terrain)
- Extremely difficult. You are only ever given 10 armor whenever you are at the base, there is no more, EVER. Expect to quicksave/load like crazy. First-aid kits are rare.
- Possible to get stuck
- Getting onto the chopper the first time more often than not, glitches you into it on the level load, hurting you and making you stuck
- I had to noclip into a garage because I was stuck
- One part involved me grenade jumping. While not necessarily bad, it is possible the player would have no explosives to do such and would need to noclip
- For some reason, I was unable to reconfigure the controls from in-game. Had to go to the config file (which shouldn't be there anyway)
- Those goddamn self-closing doors. More often than not, there will be enemies or corpses on one side of the door, making it stuck or needing to be reopened constantly. No reason to have this whatsoever
The premise was great but this mod hurt. About 45 minutes in, I was ready for the thing to end as I wanted no more of it. I would not recommend this... on hard anyway. Even then, ugh.