Half-Life 2: Wars brings the struggle between the human resistance and their Combine overlords to a real-time strategy setting. HLW has been in development since 2007 and last saw a public release (Multiplayer Beta 2.1.1). The Multiplayer Beta, which you can download here on Desura, requires Half-Life 2: Episode 2 to play! It features 3 game modes: Sandbox, Annihilation and Overrun, showcasing the Rebels and Combine playable factions.
Beta 2.0.1 introduces several gameplay balance changes, lots of bugfixes, new music tracks and fixes matchmaking.
Posted by Ennui on Oct 8th, 2012
After getting some feedback since Beta 2.0.0 was released a few weeks ago, we have released a patch to Beta 2.0.1. 2.0.1 features some gameplay balance changes, several new music tracks, and a lot of bugfixes. Searching for games (matchmaking) has been fixed and now searches for games worldwide instead of by region, so it should be easier to find games to join.
For those of you who installed with Desura, simply launch Desura and update HL2:Wars automatically that way (remember, Desura is only needed to install/patch HL2:Wars but does not need to be running to play - once it is installed and updated you can launch through Steam like any other mod). For those of you who installed with the ZIP archive, we have also released a patch ZIP file that weighs in at 242mb. You can download the Beta 2.0.1 patch zip on ModDB.
Full changelog for Wars 2.0.1:
* Increased floor turret health from 150 to 300
* Increased floor turret damage from 6 to 12
* Increased health mountable turret from 150 to 400
* Increased damage mountable turret from 12 to 20
* Increased cooldown deploying manhacks from 15 to 35 seconds
* Increased damage rebel rpg unit from 60 to 120
* New track: Atmospheric Disturbances
* New track: Now is the Hour
* New track: Uprising
* Improved navigation mesh hlw_synth
* Public games matchmaking now searches for games world wide, instead of the default Alien Swarm region based behavior
* Default number of slots in matchmaking is now 16 (instead of 4)
* Public games panel now shows the map name instead of "Unknown Mission"
* Cannot build mounted turret as rebels in Overrun
* Rebel soldier with AR2 weapon is missing the running animation while shooting (T-Pose)
* Overrun offers the infected option as enemy, which should only be shown if Left 4 Dead 1 is mounted
* Unable to move using the arrow keys in spectator mode
* Broken "Cancel" ability buildings while constructing
* Fixed empty rts key config resulting in a broken game
* Combine energy ball now does a fixed amount of damage against buildings
* Combine elite soldier not attacking after executing the combine energy ball ability
* Cloaked units can no longer capture control points
* Manhacks no longer emit sparks when bumping into friendly or neutral units
* Initial prepare time is now much shorter and keeps increasing until wave 7, at which it starts decreasing again