The mod you are trying to view has ceased development and consequently been archived. If you are a member of this mod, can demonstrate that it is being actively developed and will be able to keep this profile up to date with the latest news, images, videos and downloads, please contact us with all details and we will consider its re-activation.

Gothic 2 - Requiem features a whole new weapon skill system, new forging system, new quests, new characters, new textures, new weapons and armor, improved AI, new & tweaked monsters and much much more!

Forum Thread
The future of Magic #2 (Games : Gothic II - The Night of the Raven : Mods : Gothic 2 - Requiem : Forum : Discussion Megathread : The future of Magic #2) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 13 2016 Anchor

Evening fellas

Ill keep it short. Magic is OP. I don't like that you spam casts until they come close to you then you have to run away/die.

For that, i think that the solution WOULD be applying slowing spells.

I don't know if I can manage that, but I could make all frost spells (except iceblock/wave) slow the enemy for approx 3 seconds (yes you can spam it, big deal it's a goddamn single player game).

I also need to touch the spell damage numbers so I'm asking you, mages around the world. Do you prefer MORE powerful magic that will cost MORE mana, or a nerf in damage and keep the costs the same? Or, should I even touch all these aspects or it's fine/balanced on its own?

Jun 13 2016 Anchor

well there is no way to re gain mana quickly so when you run out your pretty fucked, maybe if mana potion animations were instant but that would be stupid

the thing is switching to magic etc makes you stop same as you cant move while drinking the potion its really slow, so you cant really use more than 2 different spells on an enemy before he reaches you

maybe killing stuff should give you a bit of mana back

dont really mind magic being op if its fun and cant think of any real ways for you to balance it

Jun 13 2016 Anchor

Not sure if magic is all that OP considering the fact that Strength and Dexterity builds can raise their damage by increasing those values past 100.

I propose that rank one offensive spells (eg: Firebolt) cost no mana as their damage is very low and are generally neglected for the higher tier spells with splash damage and increase in power. I also believe that this will allow players to remain true to their role-play class and stick to using magic rather then pulling out a 2h battle axe and using that.

I also propose that this "no mana cost" is applied only to members of the mages guild (Monastery) and only to these three spells (Fire bolt, Water bolt and Lightning bolt) thus limiting the risk of new rank one spells becoming over powered but still giving mages a spell to use when out of mana that would not make them OP.

Positioning is about the same as an archer or crossbow build and it can not be helped since enemies will swarm you if allowed. A slow effect might help but I believe it could thread in that OP area (OP in the sense that most enemies will almost never reach the player + they can still disengage and re-position, effectively removing challenge when playing a frost mage).

Just some ideas I had with magic for a while maybe they will help :D

Jun 14 2016 Anchor

Yeah I know, I'm aware of the possible frostbolt spam for the permaslow since there are no diminishing returns.

I was going for a nerf for the frozen effect duration (capped at 5 seconds), maybe I could trigger the same effect if 5 frost spells are launched at targeted enemy, but the frost duration is lowered to 2 seconds.

Idk, I'll test before posting anything else :3

Jun 15 2016 Anchor

magic is ok.

i often visit the WoG site and something new about magic was released recently: mud-freaks zauberpaket

it adds new spells and some magic-related stuff. there is also a video:
Youtube.com
Worldofgothic.de

the author said, he has to fix some things, that don't work, but he will upload it in the next days. i thought this could be of interest for you.

Jun 18 2016 Anchor

Yeah I saw it, I'm looking forward to it (and modifying something xD)

I've decided NOT to touch magic anymore. I'll just tweak some numbers without doing anything else. I'll do change how enemies are affected (like for example, frost spells will be more efficient on certain foes, while lightning will do less damage but to almost all creatures, etc.)

I hope to balance it this way. I'm also reducing xp gained by killilng monsters (since from recent developements the modification WILL get a brand new chapter after Irdorath with an epic conclusion)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.