Fortress Europe is a historical realism modification for Company of Heroes 2 that is currently in development.

  • View media
  • View media
  • View media
  • View media
  • View media
  • View media
Jagdtiger vs. IS-2
embed
share
view next
Share Image
Share on Facebook Tweet Email a friend
Embed Image
Post comment Comments
niick
niick Mar 22 2015, 3:25pm says:

0.7 penetration to resistance means there's 70% chance to penetrate (this case being 30%) or is it that if value is less than 1 then shell will never penetrate?

+2 votes     reply to comment
eliw00d Author
eliw00d Mar 22 2015, 3:40pm replied:

The penetration-to-resistance ratio determines other factors. The penetration chance in this case is 0%, due to the angle of impact and slope of the plate. This is just a hit on the superstructure, so it does not mean the Jagdtiger will never penetrate an IS-2.

+3 votes   reply to comment
niick
niick Mar 22 2015, 3:48pm replied:

One more question, is plate hardness a balance factor or do you have data for it? If yes, could I have a look? That info is hard to come by.

+1 vote     reply to comment
eliw00d Author
eliw00d Mar 22 2015, 4:06pm replied:

We mainly use it for cast and high hardness armour. As far as balance goes, it means that most Soviet tanks will have less resistance due to high hardness. We got the BHNs from the book WWII Ballistics.

+4 votes   reply to comment
niick
niick Mar 22 2015, 4:18pm replied:

Thanks!

+1 vote     reply to comment
LordCrab77
LordCrab77 Jun 14 2015, 7:57pm says:

My question here is could an IS-2 even compete with a Jagdtiger head on?

+2 votes     reply to comment
eliw00d Author
eliw00d Jun 14 2015, 11:05pm replied:

With 122mm APBC, the IS-2 can penetrate 201mm of RHA @ 0° from the vertical.

The Jagdtiger has effective resistances against 122mm APBC of 157mm, 274mm, and 268mm for the lower hull, upper hull, and superstructure, respectively. So, hits against the lower hull would penetrate with a 1.28 ratio, which guarantees over 100% chance.

We are still figuring out the best way to distribute hits, but it does have at least a chance against a Jagdtiger!

+1 vote   reply to comment
JudgeAlfred
JudgeAlfred Jun 25 2015, 9:58am says:

Isn't it 120mm at 30 degrees; thus equalling 300mm...?

I'm not sure where you're getting the other 69mms from. Also, doesn't the size of the round nullifiy part if not most of the slope...? (Overmatching).

Just curious to see how your system works, as ours comes to a similar yet slightly different conclusion.

+2 votes     reply to comment
eliw00d Author
eliw00d Jun 26 2015, 8:12am replied:

369mm due to the slope and type of round. Also, the armor is actually CHA, but at the time of the screenshot it reported (incorrectly) RHA.

Overmatching is for significant difference between diameter of shell and thickness of plate. 8mm is not significant overmatch.

Fortresseuropemod.com

I would recommend reading WWII Ballistics: Armor and Gunnery.

Are you talking about a system for N44, or a new mod for CoH2?

+1 vote   reply to comment
eliw00d Author
eliw00d Jun 26 2015, 8:21am replied:

Conversely, I would be interested to know where you got 300mm, and what kind of system you guys have.

+1 vote   reply to comment
Post a Comment
click to sign in

You are not logged in, your comment will be anonymous unless you join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) which we encourage all contributors to do.

2000 characters limit; HTML formatting and smileys are not supported - text only

Description

Disclaimer: The text shown at the top of the screen is debug information, and will not be shown in-game upon release. It is simply to demonstrate our armour and penetration system in action.

Which match-up would you like to see next? Let us know in the comments!

Image Details
Date
Mar 22nd, 2015
By
eliw00d
Size
1920×1080
Options
URL
Embed
Embed Thumb
Share
Report Abuse
Report media
Add Media
Members only