This member has provided no bio about themself...
Since the Rohan Spellbook has come out I would like to ask.
Is it possible to make the central Spell 4 power points instead of five?
You guys said yourselves not every central power has to be 5 points, also I don't see how Sauron gaining a level is worth the extra 2 Power Points anyway. Maybe that's just me.
Here's my questions for the new Spellbook
1. Are the ravens permanent? since its a defensive power it would make sense if it was a permanent ability to go along with the whole building buff theme of the tree. This question also applies to the runes, I understand a building getting a permanent boost from Spellbook powers is probably not balanced in some ways but it would make sense of those powers were permanent to fit the theme of defensive trees. The last part of this question is will those buffs stack, for instance I buff the same building with a rune and ravens?
2. Wouldn't it be better to remove the Earthquake power and replace it with something else, I know its an iconic power from the vanilla game but I always felt it was very generic and didn't connect with the theme of the Dwarves beyond the whole Earth aspect of Dwarven culture. Compare it to the Fires of Isengard, that power works because we see Saruman's minion commence the bomb explosion which makes it more identifiable as compared to, an Earthquake coming out of nowhere. Also the whole earthquake AOE damage spell concept is a very generic ability in terms of games set in the Fantasy genre.
Question for Logan,
In your older comments you mention how you don't feel comfortable about using characters from the Knights of the Old Republic comics because it would contradict future stories. Since Legends is non-canon and there won't be future stories made in that time period now, are you going to reconsider using KOTOR comic characters?
Will the Draft artwork also get changed, I know its suppose to look like a peasant arming himself but I always found it difficult to see the background. Maybe thats just me.
"the whole system of signal fires have been changed too, thus making them more usefull and more intuitive." What do you mean by that statement?
I have a few questions about the Rohan Spellbook,
1. Druadan Statue,can you can place this map anywhere on the battlefield. If so wouldn't that mean you could hypothetically use the Assault of the Druedain power to summon archers anywhere on the battlefield as well since you could jsut simply place a statue near enemies? Even though you expressed in the article that the power being defensive should not be able to be used everywhere on the battlefield.
2.I hope the three Hunters aren't too expensive since a 6-cost power is a huge investment as it is. But it seems to me the Highborn Warhorses are the better choice not only because it costs less but its a safer investment since it reinforces a strategy that Rohan was always good at which was spamming cavalry.
I will say it was a good call to have the Three Hunters serve as a way of accessing the combat tree.
3. You mentioned how the Royal Guard are rarely used, wouldn't it also be good to buff the unit to make it more worthwhile?
Anyway I am sure there will be further balance testing once the patch comes out. Great work as always
Couldn't you simply buff the power further to make it worth 5 points?
So what's the next Spellbook reveal going to be? I am guessing its Dwarves assuming you guys are going in order of faction release.
Thanks for the reply
I will admit although I am biased towards weather spells since well, I like every spellbook to be as unique as possible. But at the same time, I can understand while some of the factions have to have weather spells.
Anyway whether Freezing rain is cheaper or not that's up to you guys, but I do think the power does have value and it would be all the more valuable if it was slightly cheaper so the player could get access to the Fires of Isengard power faster.
That and also Freezing rain is on the right so the player would be losing the ability to access Saruman of Many Colors and Isengard Unleashed unless they get the Faction Spell, which is a HUGE disadvantage. Anyway you guys do what you all think is best.
One more question if I may ask, your getting feedback from testers, does that mean we will be able to see videos of Edain 4.5 BETA in the near future? Or is it too early to say? Because I think the fan base would be really hyped to see footage of 4.5 if possible.
A couple of questions
1. Saruman of Many Colors costs five points while the Gandalf the White power costs four but both provide the same benefits? Is there a reason why Saruman of Many Colors cost 1 more than Gandalf's or is the Gandalf power being nerfed?
2. The Wizard Tower power is going to enable upgrades for Isengard, I am assuming upgrades that existed in the older version of the Citadel will be removed so you can only acquire them through the ring power. May I also ask what you mean by enhancement of buildings, do you mean the buildings gain more health or produce units faster?
3. You guys said in an earlier post that terrain altering powers like Tainted Land is not healthy for the game as it encourages players to save the ability to counter an opponent's terrain altering power. I am assuming Lorien will be keeping there's so my question is, wouldn't it be better to only have one faction have a terrain altering power for variety's sake?
Another note this is more of a personal opinion, I do think that Freezing rain should cost less due to well, enemies losing leadership is no where near as good as having three summons, even in a large scale battle. Unless the spell gets buff I think it should cost 4 or 5 points at most.
Anyway glad to see a new update for the mod, look forward to seeing how Rohan's Spellbook turns out.
The creator does have a life, considering how much large the scale of a typical KOTOR RPG is, especially considering its being made by one guy. You have to be patient, this is a project that can't be rushed. The guy have real life obligations he has to priotize first.
Honestly I will wait as long as necessary, if the mod comes out eventually that's fine. We all have to be patient, and we will be rewarded with a new update most likely within this year.
We just have to be patient.
Question, will income buildings be changed? I always thought the vanilla version where you had to put your income buildings across the map to get the most income possible was really annoying. Would be possible to get the full 100 percent income but only be able to build a limited amounted . That way you could focus more on the battle than protecting your income buildings, from cheap surprise attacks and dumb cheese tactics?
I understand that, from my experience though Discord Servers for mods tend to have a lot more players than in Tuungle/Gameranger servers.While an average Tuungle server will have 5 to 20 people, Discord servers tend to have 60 to 100 on average from what i've seen. Yes I know you can't setup LAN games through Tuungle.
Also it would be a more reliable way of the players communicating with the mod creators through the Discord chat, as compared to using the forums, which personally I feel is a lot less personal and interactive.
Anyway I would love to see the Edain team try the idea, but that's not my call.
Is the Edain team ever going to setup a Discord server?
I found Tuungle and Gameranger to be very unreliable when it comes to setting up multiplayer games. Mostly because there are usually little to no people online to play multiplayer.
That doesn't answer my Discord question.
Question, what if the Edain team decided no longer support working AI and make the Edain mod purely multiplayer. Would that allow for more than 11 factions and if so what would be the new faction limit?
I am just curious
You were there when the strength of men failed.
It's sad that there is so much negativity in the fan base these days. It's a testament to how impatient people are, especially for a mod as well made as this.
My message to the Edain fans everyone, a mod of this quality can only be done so quickly, especially considering it has no budget. Calm the heck down people.
Its tough because this a classic situation where the demand far outweights the supply. But no matter how many comments we make, salty or otherwise. Whether its on moddb or Moddingunion its not going to speed up the mod progression any faster.
4.5 is probably going to be one of, if not the biggest update in Edain history. Done by a team of less than 10 people, (not including testers).
The Edain mod isn't an RTS like Starcraft II or Total War where the game gets constant updates by the developers (who are usually made up of teams in the thousands.)
The best thing we can do to support the Edain team is provide POSITIVE criticism, helpful comments, and be patient.
Its just a couple of modders who work on the project for the passion of it. Not for money or attention.
So do them a favor and be patient, the update will be out eventually and we can all talk about it when that day comes. All you guys have to do is decide what to do with your given time.
My best wishes to the team, take your time, hell you guys deserve a vacation for all you've been through.
What will be the new version of Sauron's Influence on the Mordor Barracks?
So will Sauron's Influence Power on the Barracks be changed since Mordor Overseers will be summonable by spellbooks now?
Interesting, I know it hasn't been announced yet but from what i've read from the article. But I am assumping "boundaries of balance" also factors in the strength and weaknesses of the faction.
I know the new spellbook powers haven't been announced yet but will factions get new units or buffs to their already existing units to make up for the loss of powers that will be removed like AOE powers? So factions can't utterly be dominated by larger numbers like Imladris (who usually gets trumped by a rush strategy from Isengard/Mordor)?
Maybe this argument is irrelevant as the siege update hasn't been added yet but I can't help but be concerned when it comes to how these changes could empower "rush" oriented factions.
Wow, I am big fan of the Spellbook overhaul, I think it's a great step in the right direction for Edain. My concern though is the diversity of Spellbook spells among the factions, I know more details won't be released until future updates but as indicated in this update there is guaranteed to be one faction spell unique to each faction.
My concern is will future spellbooks have less abilities in common, or more abilities for the sake of keeping the spellbooks streamlined and balanced as less spell diversity means its less likely for a faction to have a spellbook power that allows them to dominate a match more easily.
Greetings Edain team, here's a question.
Would be possible to setup a Discord Server for Edain in the future. Its would be very convenient. I think it would make it easier to arrange tournaments as well as let the users talk to the Edain team directly as compared to leaving messages on Moddb or Modding Union.
Just a suggestion if its not too difficult to arrange.
Hey logan, do you ever plan on establishing a Revenge of Revan server on Discord so we the fans can discuss the mod with you?
Also your website got shut down.
Do you guys still plan to answer the question on how the Edain mod is born?
What are the team's favorite non-Mission maps in the Edain mod and why?
I see, so games like Third Age Total War don't qualify, or you just don't want to risk a cease and desist letter from Warner Bros.
Sorry to hear, still good luck with the mod.
Did you guys ever wanted to make the Edain mod for a different game say Starcraft II or Age of Empires? Or possibly make the game from scratch on new engine entirely I.E Unreal Engine 4. As a way of not having to deal with technical difficulties like modding limitations as well as the lag that plagues Edain's online multiplayer. Especially considering that BFME II is ten years old.
Thanks for posting my last question.
Did you guys ever wanedt to make the Edain mod for a different game say Starcraft II or Age of Empires? Or possibly make the game from scratch on new engine entirely I.E Unreal Engine 4. As a way of not having to deal with technical difficulties like modding limitations as well as the lag that plagues Edain's online multiplayer. Especially considering that BFME II is ten years old.
Greetings Edain team,
This is my main question of the day. What RTS's played the biggest inspiration in how you designed the Edain mod in terms of gameplay? (Not counting BFME 1 and 2.)
Best of luck with the mod.