This member has provided no bio about themself...
What you describe is exactly the type of decision we wanted you to make with the new spellbook :) Do you bolster yourself for a longer match and maybe play more defensively to make use of your long-term advantages, or do you press for a quick finish with powerful offensive spells? We want all spellbooks to have this sort of dynamic.
It's mainly because Angmar has such a large amount of heroes already. I'd actually like to find a way to include an Orc hero so we have a mirror for Hwaldar as a Hillmen hero, but it's not a high priority.
Everyone knows how composite bows work. They increase the damage of Unexpected Salvo and lower its recharge time, as the description says.
We're perfectly happy with the Morgul and Guldur outposts, I think they represent their respective fortresses very well.
Yes, we're planning the Dwarves to be next :)
So do we. Just deleted a whole bunch of his idiocy. Losing faith in humanity one day at a time, that's me... :P
A couple of clarifications in light of some of the recent comments:
- No, this mod is not dead. Our last news post was two weeks ago, so I have no idea why you'd even think that.
- That said, we did lose our team leader recently, so obviously there's a lot we have to figure out at the moment. No, work has not stopped, but we have do have quite a few administrative issues on our plate right now. After ten years of free quality content, I think a little understanding and patience are not too much to ask.
- There's nothing wrong with enjoying both Age of the Ring and Edain, or preferring AotR over Edain. Modding is not a competition where you have to beat the other guys at the box office. Personally, I find Age of the Ring one of the most promising mods in years and am happy to see we still get such great projects nowadays! A healthy and active modding scene is good for everyone. Edain has coexisted alongside plenty of other great mods throughout its ten year history. Heck, I even did the German advertising for the splendid Special Extended Edition mod back in the day! That never stopped Edain from thriving as well.
- In fact, if free building is the most important thing to you, then AotR might simply be the better mod for you - and that's perfectly fine! However, free building will never return to Edain. I can't even tell you what a pointless waste of time it is to argue about that. We made that decision years ago, and we have no intentions of reverting it. Not just because it would be a massive amount of work (you think things are taking a long time NOW?), but because we still feel it was the right call. For people who passionately dislike the BfME I system, Edain is simply no longer the right mod. At the end of the day, our guiding maxime has always been to make the game we would love to play, and the majority of the Edain team has always loved the first game in this series the most.
- From now on, we will start deleting hostile posts more aggressively, especially when they come from anonymous guest users who don't even have the courage to show their real username when they tell us that Edain team members have no right to free time or a real life and are obligated to constantly work on the mod for free. Yeah, I'm sick of that crap. The atmosphere on this page has become horribly toxic in recent weeks and we're going to take steps to remedy that.
- Constructive criticism, on the other hand, is always welcome of course. However, we advise that you post your bigger ideas over at Modding Union: Modding-union.com It's simply a better place for indepth discussion because here, individual posts fall off the front page quickly and are easy to miss.
- Finally, I want to express my gratitude to all of our fans who have shown kindness and patience in the face of all the negativity here and the admittedly long time it's taking us to get this next version ready. We know our community largely consists of great and passionate people and just because the idiots sometimes sceam the loudest, they're not the majority. Rest assured that even when the ride gets bumpy, we're always hard at work to create the best possible mod for you guys and we have no intentions of stopping now! Thanks to all who keep sticking with us on this journey :)
Smaug will be, but the Balrog will remain a spellbook power.
I don't think so. I liked it from a mechanics standpoint, but it always felt a little too weird and out there from a lore point of view, even for Angmar.
We actually considered making the Army of the Dead the defensive spell. However, we never really found a way to implement that that still made them feel as powerful and atmospheric as they were in the movies. After all, they still should be an eldritch cloud of death sweeping through the enemy lines. Getting only a single group of them when a building is attacked or having them repair buildings wouldn't fit with that at all. We really never hit upon an idea that kept their awesome power and made them suitably defensive at the same time, so we decided to use them as the offensive spell instead. With their short duration and their incredible damage potential, the fit much more naturally here.
There's plenty of new or significantly overhauled spells for every faction. Overall, the spells in the game will now correspond much better to specific strategies (playing to their tree in the spellbook and their respective faction's strength) rather than just being raw power. Furthermore, the new tree structure will require players to make more meaningful choices and plan their path to victory better. Even if not everything is 100% new, I'd say there's more than enough changes :)
Yes, it means we're not yet ready to show it to the public. Work is going strong, however :) The thing to remember is that it's not just the siege update - there is a second fundamental gameplay aspect we're overhauling for all factions which we haven't shown you yet.
I'm not overly concerned about that. Edain 4.0 didn't please everyone, and we knew that going in, but it has been our most successful version by far. 3.8.1 never won Mod of the Year, but 4.0 did. Nothing is ever perfect, of course, but we're very happy with the new direction and overall community response :)
I don't think there's many left we could do that would make sense. We already have female humans and Elves and Easterlings/Haradrim. Female Orcs or Trolls may not even exist in Middle-earth, and while there obviously are female Dwarves, we have almost no visual material for them and they were never seen in the story. A female Black Numenorean could be pretty cool, but that's about the only interesting option left I think.
We couldn't have won Mod of the Year again because you only get on the list if you place higher than before - and we already took the top spot :D However, the honorable mention is still very important to us. It keeps Edain on everyone's radar and shows that we still have powerful community support behind us. So: Thanks everyone, it really is appreciated! :)
We'll take that risk :P Has been working fine for us for ten years now, after all.
We've been an active and popular mod for ten years now, wouldn't have managed that if there was virus software in it ;) Download without fear and enjoy!
The siege overhaul will be part of the next version, and it will contain quite a few new ways to specialize more strongly in defense or offense depending on how you want to play :)
They are removed entirely for now. We don't have plans to bring them back.
Both will be included with the Misty Mountain faction, of course :)
Love it :D
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the finals had to be delayed for a day and will now take place on Sunday, 12 PM, Eastern Standard Time.
Area of effect abilities are best against large groups of weaker units. Rivendell fields very small numbers of elite soldiers, so they're not very vulnerable to abilities like that.
I've been playing Edain on Windows 10 without any issues for months.
We wanted Arnor to be the counterpart and enemy for Angmar, that's why we chose that time period. Second-Age-Arnor just wouldn't fit in with any of the other factions.
Never forget: Posts like this are exactly why we never give release dates, never promise anything that is not 100% done yet, and when in doubt rather stay silent instead of posting news. Because people WILL complain if it's not implemented as soon as possible, even if all we said was that "the Concept Art shows a FUTURE design, that most likely will NOT YET be implemented in the next Edain Patch. But it is planned to adapt it as a 3D model and integrate it into Edain someday." Showing that Thorin art was clearly a mistake and we shouldn't have done it.
Unfortunately, that mod has been stealing our work without permission for quite some time (for example, Sauron in that video has our German sounds and the Palantir is from Edain too), so we are not currently interested in partnering up with them.
Purely in terms of stats, the Lothlorien heroic unit is the best archer unit in the game at the moment (and also the most expensive). However, their abilities are a bit underwhelming right now and probably will get changed in the future to better reflect their status as the best archers in the game.
The Eagles certainly fit Rivendell much better than the Blue Wizards would. Their Eyrie lies in the High Pass which leads from Rivendell, and the Eagles aided the Elves in keeping watch over the surrounding lands (for example, they are consulted by Rivendell scouts in The Fellowship of the Ring). The Blue Wizards, on the other hand, have zero connection to Rivendell. So it seems a bit weird to insult and belittle our faction design when your own suggestion has so much less of a basis in the lore.
Of course, we are by now used to you stirring up hatred against us while trying to appear nice and reasonable yourself. We are well aware of you talking to our fans and trying to convince them of how evil we are because we didn't make the mod exactly as you wanted. Those people also talk to us, you know ;) It's certainly been sad to see you turn into such a petty and small-minded person over the past year, but don't think you're deceiving anyone here.
"Edain" is actually a term from Tolkien's work. The Edain were men of the First Age and the ancestors of the Numenoreans. This means that it's pronounced exactly the same as "Dunedain", because the "edain" in "Dunedain" comes from that word and means "men" in Sindarin :)
Do let the door hit you on the way out.