Greetings, it's been a while!
We've been working more on bug-fixes and improvements to prepare for the next release. Some time was lost in upgrading Unity (fixing various things in transition), as well as losing time due to a computer crash... Both are remedied. Nevertheless, here's some other things added as well as some notable bugs squashed:
NEW ITEM: COIF
Another headwear option. A cozy coif.
NEW ITEMS: RAW GEMS
We made and setup raw gems that can be mined from certain sources.
(WIP raw gems.)
More collectibles to be sold for mediocre prices. :P
(The smell of defeat.)
Before my computer pooped out, I made some Sabatons! Along with expanding Dalwood, texture improvements, and some material optimizations throughout.
AI & CRIME
Since freedom of action is something we want to keep in the game, we are working on punishment for crimes. Here’s the start:
Jon has worked on having guards detect crimes. Currently, when they detect a crime they will become hostile towards the criminal. Guards identify the following as crimes:
- Damaging certain property (windows & some doors)
As of now, they aren’t very perceptive and they don’t patrol around, so there’s a lot of work to be done.
Jon has also been continuing to plug away on the new settings systems and has gotten the majority of them setup. Here are some new options that will be available in the next release:
- Attack HUD toggle (displays attack direction)
- Camera offset amount
- Default camera zoom – when toggling from 1st to 3rd-person, this will be the initial distance.
In addition to the previous graphical settings (Bloom, DoF, SSAO, etc.) there are some new graphical effects that can be turned on now. Most of these settings can now be toggled per player too!
- Additional Graphical Effect Settings:
- Motion Blur
Certain graphical settings such as Realtime shadows are global, and cannot be edited per player – at least, for now…
MISC. IMPROVEMENTS & BUG FIXES
- Throwing weapons/projectiles now fly farther if performing a ‘power attack.’ (Held attack button)
- Set the ‘default invert look y’ on a controller to false.
- Setup incandescing weapon to display timer on cursor (radial bar).
- Improvements to the Interact-Hold feature.
- Any cause of ragdolling should now release a held heftable. Previously, only ragdoll by incapacitation would cause this.
- Developed a system for caching mesh instances generated due to vertex color manipulation.
- Fixed a bug where certain actions like rolling or attacking could still occur when ragdolled. This would cause your stamina to drain though no action would occur, and the animations would then suddenly play on ragdoll recover.
- Fixed a bug where players would be stuck incapacitated, if incapacitated in a new scene after leaving the Grand Arena during a match.
- Fixed horses always facing the same direction on start.
- Fixed some issues with ragdolls falling into the failsafe trigger outside the map, shouldn’t get decapitated anymore…
- Unity Tip: After updating to the 2017 cycle of Unity, Jon noticed that performing a Teleroll would crash the game! After some forum browsing he discovered a hack to make it work again. It seems a number of people have encountered issues with disabling an animator or deactivating the animator’s gameObject. The solution/hack that worked for us: use a coroutine that yields until the end of the current frame before the animator disable/deactivate.
- Magic work:
- Added spell fail chance, which decreases with corresponding Arcane skill.
- Added 2 support spells for the Cleric’s Staff: Pacify & Dispel.
- Spell nodes in magic HUD will ‘Gray out’ if you lack the stamina to cast.
- Got sound FX back in for various spells that were lost since the start of the new system (post public demo).
- Setup summoned bats and hornets to not attack each other if they share the same master/summoner. They will also loosely follow their master/summoner if there are no available targets to pursue.
- Various additional bug fixes & improvements to the new magic system.
- Lockpicking speed now increases more gradually with Dexterity.
- Hefting throws now scale with Strength.
- Added props:
- Bench – 2 seater
- Long thin carpet.
- Swapped potion bottle shader. It is now visible in menus.
- Tweaked sky & fog colors when it’s raining. More desaturated and dark.
- Fixed issue with height damage. This may have been the cause of seemingly random height damage at times.
- Fixed additional limb objects (neck, feet, hands) from not clearing their vertex colors/injured effect when healed.
- Added some additional loading screen messages.
- Tweaked experience points for lockpicking and bartering.
- Added a quick drop button for dropping selected item in inventory (weapon draw/sheathe button), finally! :o
- Failing to heft, due to insufficient Strength, now restricts movement for the entire animation.
- Added gems:
Gem shader & meshes courtesy of Unity Technologies :D
- Lantern has been textured:
- Inn roof and chimney progress:
- Overhauled added effects system:
- Fixed bug where fire effects (sound & particles) would remain on weapon hits after incandesce effect ran out.
- Steam sound will play again when refilling the incandesce effect, not just when you start it.
- Added support for multiple weapon effects at once.
- Worked on optimizing some UI menus, splitting UI elements into multiple canvases.
- Cleaned up some old scenes that are no longer in use and just bloating file size.
- Fixed incorrect physic material on Apothecary foundation, now Stone.
- Fixed some UVs of stairs in Arena spectator buildings and the Clothier building in Town.
- Various material optimizations & improvements, including tunic & pants.
- Female mesh tweaks.
- Continued assigning missed entity common names on various operable props.
- Added a surprise to the garderobes… :)
We have also released the roadmap for this next version: Roadmap v0.1
We’re getting there, and are still shooting for December.