Savage 2: A Tortured Soul takes the best of the FPS, RTS, and RPG genres and blends them seamlessly into an extremely addictive and complex experience. Anyone who's seen the game in action knows that each match is full of possibilities for epic moments and amazing displays of skill and strategy. Take the reigns as your team's commander from an overhead RTS perspective with superior strategic insight -- or join them on the field from a mixed action RPG and FPS view with a wide array of powerful classes and carve your path to victory.
Savage 2 failed at being accepted, played and supported by the Savage community.
Savage 2 failed at being a competitive game with an active clan scene.
Savage 2 failed at bringing the skill and depth of Savage to the next level.
When the core devs of Savage left and created Project Offset, I think some of the magic left S2games.
Still a nice game, 9/10.
Great game. It's a lot of fun to play.
A really fun game, especially when you play with a good commander!
Excellent gameplay and supported on linux!
"...takes the best of the FPS, RTS, and RPG genres and blends them seamlessly into an extremely addictive and complex experience."
wow, that's totally exaggerated. wouldn't even mention the fps part which is almost non existant and very disappointing, hardly any weapon requires skill to use. the base construction in rts mode is very limited, the tech research automated, all you do is supporting field players (like in battlefield 2). the rpg part is important although not much in depth. fps fans will be disappointed, rts fans too, some rpg fans will love it though.
savage 2 is a rpg melee game with a rts support player. it does take parts of fps, rts and rpg but certainly not the best ones. savage 2 does the genre blend quite well indeed but the result of that blend is neither very addictive nor complex.
To sum it up, S2Games nerfed the (player) skill parts of Savage: melee, FPS, RTS - and added RPG (character skill) for girls.
Did Savage 2 attract any pros? Good old times:
Very basic gameplay, tethering multiple different genres, those being First Person Shooter, Roleplaying Game, and Real Time Strategy. It rarely impressed me back when I played it in 2009, still barely impressed me again in 2011, and now I'm almost certain, this game is just another generic multiplayer game.
That isn't to say the game isn't GOOD. It manages itself very well, and the connectivity isn't so terrible either. It just comes down to how little there is to express yourself with.
You start the game, pick a class of whatever side you're playing on, vye for points of interest on the field against the other team, gain funds to either give to RTS commander, or use it to respawn as a more powerful class, depending on how well you and everyone else plays, you win or lose the match.
It's kinda like League of Legends in a sense, except there is more to it than just taking down turrets and eventually the enemy base.
Some people will like this game, and others will not. It's just that type of game.
Casual and fun, but doesn't come close to its predecessor.
I expected savage2 to be Savage1 sequel with new graphics and a better engine. The truth is that Savage2 was basically remade from scratch. S2games tried to reinvent the wheel on things that shouldn't had been changed. I think what have made Savage1 so fun is lost in savage2. It's hard to enjoy if you ever played the first one because it feels like a downgrade.
Tested Savage 2 during its prime time and now again.
Great music, great graphics, fun gameplay.
For around 2 or 3 days. Then Savage 2 starts getting frustrating/boring:
1. It's too easy to become a good fighter while still being too dependent on team mates (skill ceiling isn't high enough to be a one man army).
2. Melee sucks, meaning: 80% of the gameplay sucks (30 clicks to get a kill, mash fest, random melee damage, overcomplicated combat mechanics (buffs, debuffs, delays, cooldowns and meters for everything, charge, dodge, block, run, jump attack), awful controls, annoying abilities, runners.
3. Ranged weapons suck too. Example: the lightening beam aiming delay is ridiculous! Lower the damage for gods sake but don't touch the ability to aim! Why did S2Games even implement FPS combat if they are so afraid of the skill ceiling scaring off newbs? Even FPS weapons being replaced with boring spell casting would be more enjoyable than this. With all due respect to Savage2's newb friendlyness, Melee and ranged damage are low to a point where it isn't even fun anymore.
4. Annoying scout runners
5. Lame Hellbourne farmers
6. Stalemates (total game killer)
7. Runes (lame persistent items that can be earned by experience or bought with real money)
8. Boring RTS mode (S2 lacks strategic depth, the gameplay is only tactical for the most parts. That's not of what RTS stands for. )
9. Lack of maps
10. Classes without customization
11. Unfriendly community ("if you succeed at killing me once more I will give you negative karma")
12. No competition (2 or 3 active clans)
13. Almost no populated servers
Savage 2 was some short fun worth the download. But it's not one of those games that I would play for weeks and months or even competitively. Main reason being all the pathetic limitations. Savage 2 simply doesn't feel bold and epic!
Btw: there are occasional random game crashes, irritating sound feedbacks and other bugs. But all that has no significance compared to point 1-13
No reviews were found matching the criteria specified. We suggest you try the review list with no filter applied, to browse all available. Join now to share your own content, we welcome creators and consumers alike and look forward to your comments.