Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker is a free open source 3D Game Maker, world creator and 3D Game Design program currently being used in many schools throughout the world that allows kids and adults to create their own video games, worlds, levels, adventures and quests, even cooperatively! The goal is to make it accessible to kids but also powerful enough for full game projects. With a simple click and roll of a mouse wheel users can modify the world however they want. In the words of a nine year old Sandbox whiz I babysit for, “Press Edit and go fulfill your dreams!”. Now features new game modes such as sidescroller, machinima, kartmode, RPG, and more!
Platinum Arts Sandbox Beta 2.2 will be arriving soon to a webpage near you! For anyone who is unfamiliar with Sandbox, here is a bit about it: "Sandbox is a game design tool based on the Cube 2 engine that allows users to quickly and easily create and edit their own worlds in game, even cooperatively. It is free, open source, and easy to use for Kids and Adults." Sandbox is being used in many schools now throughout the world ranging from Elementary through College levels!!
Posted by calimer on Jun 16th, 2008
Platinum Arts Sandbox Beta 2.2 will be arriving soon to a webpage near you! We're currently planning on releasing June 26. For anyone who is unfamiliar with Sandbox, here is a bit about it:
"Sandbox is a game design tool based on the Cube 2 engine that allows users to quickly and easily create and edit their own worlds in game, even cooperatively. It is free, open source, and easy to use for Kids and Adults."
We're extremely excited that Sandbox is being used in many schools now throughout the world ranging from Elementary through College levels. As a result one of our new features is the ability to support different languages! However, we are desperately in need of translators. If you can help or know anyone that would be willing please contact us! Here are some other features that are in store for 2.2:
* New Maps - Save The Princess (3D Platformer), Forest
* New Quests - Apple Picking on Village, and rescuing the princess on Savetheprincess
* New Cloud Options - Now clouds can be added that scroll above the landscape! Height can even be adjusted. Also the Skybox can rotate making the clouds appear to move.
* New Characters can be added - Now characters and animals such as bears can be added!
* Numerous menu changes and enhancements - Menus have been tweaked to improve ease of use and they can also be customized for color, font, etc.
* Basic Multilingual Support - WE NEED TRANSLATORS!!
* Many Graphical Enhancements - Nicer looking waterfalls, rain, scrolling clouds, some redone textures, etc.
* Numerous bug fixes and features added "under the hood".
* Improved Jukebox and Musicpack implementation
* And MANY more! (really there is lots!!)
Be sure check Kids.PlatinumArts.Net often for more details! We can't wait to get this release out to you and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do :) For anyone interested in getting a sneak peak and/or helping out we do have an open SVN that you can learn how to access here:
If you have any questions or would just like to chat with us remember our IRC is at irc.OFTC.net #Sandbox or you can just click on Kids.PlatinumArts.Net Kids joining MUST have parental permission!! I cannot be responsible for things other people say in there. Take care and thanks for your interest!