OpenArena is a community-produced deathmatch FPS based on GPL idTech3 technology. There are many game types supported including Free For All, Capture The Flag, Domination, Overload, Harvester, and more. There are 17 unique player models to choose from and 12 weapons.
This mappack is composed of older versions of current OpenArena maps. It also includes unfinished maps whose bugs have been fixed.
OpenArena version 0.8.8 has improved versions of many maps in many senses (improved visuals, gameplay, support for newer gametypes, etc) but not everyone is happy with these changes.
Players might prefer old versions instead of the newer ones for different reasons. Though we're not going backwards, these versions are offered for offline/server play. These versions have their building/playing problems fixed and have also many stuff for proper game support.
* The maps have different names, so not to clash with the current ones. For example, am_galmevish from 0.8.1, the map name is 081am_galmevish; am_underworks from 0.8.5 is 085am_underworks and so on...
* These versions are considered non-official versions, and as such, aren't officially supported nor are we going to include them in official releases. If anything, we want to move on from the "ugly" visuals which already makes OA gaming's favourite punchbag.
- 0.7.1 fan
- 0.7.1 hydronex
- 0.7.1 oa_bases5
- 0.7.7 ctf_inyard
- 0.7.7 oa_minia
- 0.7.7 slimefac
- 0.8.1 am_galmevish
- 0.8.1 ctf_gate1
- 0.8.1 ps37ctf
- 0.8.5 am_underworks
- 0.8.5 am_underworks2
General changes in all of the maps:
- Location messages added for teamgames.
- Music added.
- Level titles corrected to mirror their OA 0.8.8 counterparts
- Some rebuilding needed because they contained errors.
- New levelshots.
- Intermission points.
- info_player_start changed to info_player_deathmatch. Every info_player_deathmatch has the "initial" flag set to 1.
- CTF-based maps have support for every CTF-based gametype: CTF, 1FCTF, Harv, Over, eCTF, Elim, DD.
- FFA-based maps have support for FFA, LMS, and depending on their size, TDM, Tourney and Elimination.
- oa_bases5 is now editable in newer editors such as GTKRadiant 1.5.0 and NetRadiant 1.6.0.
- am_galmevish had a problem which screwed q3map2 compilation. It's fixed.
- ctf_gate1 works properly in every gametype.
- ctf_inyard's bspc problem solved.
- ctf_inyard's clipping problem solved.
- ctf_inyard's HoM problem solved.
- hydronex is now editable with modern editors such as NetRadiant 1.6.0.
- Extract in your OpenArena folder. Your "baseoa" folder should have the following files:
- Luciano "Neon_Knight" Balducchi - map porting and fixing, am_galmevish, am_underworks, am_underworks2
- "leileilol"/"fromhell" - oa_bases5, fan, hydronex port
- "cosmo" - ctf_gate1, ctf_inyard, slimefac
- Maik "SavageX" Merten - hydronex
- "kit89" - oa_minia
- "PsYthe" - ps37ctf