It’s been an exciting experience releasing the game on Steam Early Access (Beta) and we’re happy with all the feedback, suggestions and bug reports people have taken the time to fill in. We’re going through ALL of them and are making a summary on the forums after bigger updates to give users a better overview of how the game is progressing, what’s missing and what bugs there are currently crawling around on the island of San Hermanos.
JAF – Logitech Modding Competitions
Starting today, and with the support of Logitech, we are proud to announce two competitions to participate in and win awesome Logitech hardware, together with the chance to become immortalized in the game!
As a cornerstone of our development strategy and promise to our Kickstarter backers, we are continuing to create Jagged Alliance: Flashback with the help and support of our great community!
There are two ways to win great prizes: a level design and item design competition. For the level design competition, build and submit your own version of the military base “Krasnodar-82” with the level editor available.
In order to enter the item design competition, you simply need to create an icon, write a few lines of text and come up with a funny and/or useless item for your Mercs to discover and carry along. More detailed information on each competition can be found below.
The winners in both competitions will get credited in the game, and their creations are going to be part of the final game.
The level design competition is targeted at modders and level designers that own the game, whereas the item design competition is accessible to anyone. Both competitions start today, and will end in two weeks, on the 03.07.2014 at 12:00 CET. Details on each competition can be found below!
Competition Rules & Details
If you wish to participate in the JAF & Logitech modding competition, make sure you have carefully read the official competition rules:
- the winners will be picked by the Jagged Alliance: Flashback development team
- the winners will be contacted via the email they submitted their entry with the competitions begins with the publication of these rules and ends on July 3rd at 12:00 CET
- the hardware prizes will be delivered to the winners by mail
- the prize may not be transferred to other individuals
- the information provided by the winner will only be used to deliver the prizes by the participating delivery companies. The information will be handled with care and won’t be shared with third parties that are not immediately involved in the delivery of the prizes
- all decisions are final and not subject to legal appeal. Any recourse to courts of law is excluded
Item Design Competition
What does a coconut, Da Honko cereals and a platinum watch have in common? These are all fluff items that can be discovered and picked-up by players in Jagged Alliance games. These items are an important part of the series, as they add a lot to the unique atmosphere of the games – the same in Jagged Alliance: Flashback!
Now you can become part of the game with your Item Icon, item name & description, all while winning great gaming hardware from Logitech. Simply send your name and item description to firstname.lastname@example.org The length of the description should not exceed 200 characters (incl. spaces).
Name: Platinum Watch
Description: "Tell time in style with this designer watch featuring a quartz crystal, swiss movement and 4 microns of beautiful platinum plating."
Description: “Unbreakable....without the right tools. Native to San Hermanos”
Only added a link to the full sized cereal box
Source files are made in 512x512 and then scaled down inside Unity. You don't need to worry about details or some brush-strokes being off as long as the icon looks cool at half-size(256x256).
When we make these we have to be very quick, so we use photos for reference and sometimes even as a base for the actual icon. You can either snap photos yourself or grab from Internet(ex. Google). However, it's very important that the photos you find are free for commercial use! Also don't use existing brand names.
Use the existing icons as a reference for the art style.
Level Design Competition
Design a level/sector and have the chance to become a level designer on Jagged Alliance: Flashback! The winning sector will be part of the final game.There are a few rules that one must follow in order to compete:
- The sector size should be maximum 100x100.
- It should be in playable condition when the deadline is met.
- There must be a dirt road from East to West
- The Coastline has to be to the South.
- Submit your mod to email@example.com in a *.zip folder. Uploading to Steam workshop is optional.
We have spent some time creating a Modding Guide, which is live on the Steam Community Hub.To support this competition we've also created several modding videos to make it easier for users to get started. They have also been added to the guide.
Krasnodar -82. This base was established during the cold war era by the Soviets under permission from Salvador Primo, aka The Prince, the communist leader of San Hermanos. The base was abandoned by the Soviets after the cold war but is now used by The Prince as an important strategic point, dealing with the ongoing uprising against the regime. This base holds ammunition, weapons and transports for the military, along with living quarters for the soldiers.
Level design guidelines
Due to its location on the strategic map there are 3 ways to attack this base. The following guidelines will give extra points if followed:
- Attacking this base from the East should be really difficult. E.g. a bridge as a choke point.
- Coming from the North is limited in ways of approach but should be easier than coming from the east.
- The West side provides more cover and should be the easiest way to take this base.
- As long as you follow the rules, feel free to move things around. Don’t blind yourself by looking at the sketch for too long and blocking your creativity.
Prizes from Logitech:
First place: 1 Wireless Headset + Get your item in the game
Second place: 1 Gaming Mouse + Get your item in the game
Third place: Get your item in the game
Level Design Competition:
First place: 1 Wireless Headset + 1 Gaming Mouse + Sector in the game
Second place: 1 Wireless Headset
Third place:1 Gaming Mouse
Until next time!
The Full Control JAF Team