Aaaaaand we're back!
The reaction to the 1.2 release was awesome, thanks to everyone who tried it! Here are some stats from the online leaderboard:
- Just over 1800 hours of total playtime (that's over 75 DAYS).
- 370,000 recorded runs.
- 28,569,847,450 total points earned
- Nearly 2000 unique usernames (and lots of runs by "Anonymous")
So school is over and we can finally get back to work on a new version. This will be a complete rewrite, so it should be a lot more flexible and have a lot fewer little glitches and issues now that we're no longer working off the original (very disorderly) 48 hour code.
We'll be using a custom engine that's been an on and off project for a number of months, and though I won't bore you with the details, it should be a lot easier to work with and allow for a lot more cool stuff.
We've been going over the feedback and comments and we're considering everything; some possible features (it's a bit early to tell exactly how this will all fit together, and this is just off the top of my head) include:
- New gametypes
- New islands
- Better UI and menu (we're using a GUI library this time, so expect actual mouse control for the menu)
- Better leaderboard integration (we've noticed and deleted a few glitched/cheated scores... there will be better verification to prevent illegitimate scores)
- Fine-tuned physics and mechanics
- Changes to the art style (we want to keep system reqs minimal, but some changes would be nice)
- Support for other OS's (Linux is likely and OSX is possible)
- A map editor (this is a big maybe, but as the programmer, this is the most exciting feature for me...)
It shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to get a new release out (after all, the game was originally created in <48 hours), and we'll be posting updates pretty regularly during the development, so stay tuned.
We've also got a couple of other projects that we'll be working on over the summer, so keep a look out for those as well.