Plot: The characters thought they had escaped the terrors of Banoi and survived the apocalypse on a corrupted paradise. Their fate took a turn for the worse. The Dead Island heroes escaped in a helicopter to the safety of a military ship, but when a furious storm hits and the virus suddenly spreads throughout the crew, the nightmare starts all over again, leaving hope drowning in the rising tides.
The George Romero Riptide Mod was made in honor of George Romero, considered to be the "Father of Zombie Movies". This mod aims to replicate the behaviour of the Romero zombies, which means that zombies are mostly slow and can only be killed by destroying the brain. There are also other optional features included in this mod to satisfy the cravings of Dead Island players. The Walking Dead comics and tv series and even the zombie comedy Shaun of the Dead are two very well loved horror entertainment that closely follow the Romero style of zombies.
The George Romero Survival Horror Edition V9 Standalone Add-On 4 is now available here -> Moddb.com
Game: Dead Island Riptide
Mod: George Romero Mod Version 8 Survival Horror Edition
Release Date: May 4, 2013
Steam Thread: Forums.steampowered.com
By: Adeno aka Beseron on Steam Thread
- Optional Modern Fast Zombies now resemble fast zombies from popular movies like Dawn of the Dead Remake and 28 Days Later series!
- All zombies, from the slow Romero ones to the modern types, will kill you instantly if you let them bite your neck! Every zombie is now a horrifying threat!
- Once you attract a zombie's attention, other zombies will also be alerted to your presence and will go after you even from afar, just like in the movies! You always have to be alert! They will also follow you until something stops them physically. Very creepy!
- New Shop Option - WarShops, where ammunition is affordable, perfect for dealing with Modern Fast Zombies! There are also special weapons that become available in shops from time to time.
- Made Easy Installation Paks so players can jump right into playing without having to configure everything themselves in the simplest possible way. It is still possible to configure everything yourself of course.
- Zombies only die by destroying the head or somehow causing harm to the head.
- Three zombie ai versions: slow Zombies that only grab, slow zombies that can attack, and modern fast zombies that can attack.
- Zombie bites are fatal. Even slow Romero zombies are big threats if you let one grab you and bite your neck!
- Zombies will notice you from far away and will continue following you unless they encounter geographical challenges.
- You can now collect food and drinks instead of using them right away. Collecting food is very valuable now especially when trying to survive against modern zombies.
- There is now a No HUD option to get as close to "reality" as possible.
- Optional: Survivalist, War, and Special shops versions.
- Optional: Survivalist and Tourist inventory versions.
- Optional: EXP Rate versions: 25%, 50%, 75%, 2X, and 5X.
- BONUS: Matrix Mode
- BONUS: Athletic Mode
What is the George Romero Mod?
This is a mod named after the "father" of the zombie genre, George Romero, who popularized the idea of zombies in his film called "Night of the Living Dead". In modern times, there are all sorts of zombies, ranging from the normal slow shambling types to the more imaginative hybrid zombie types that sometimes are powered by science and technology. The classic Romero zombie is the slow and typically dumb zombie whose only mission is to eat the nearest living flesh available. These Romero zombies don't care if their body parts get chopped off or whether they are headed towards the edge of a building. They will usually head straight towards their victim unless their path is blocked, and that's the only time they would either find another way around or just continue walking forward even though they can't make any progress. A good example of a beloved modern day story featuring Romero style zombies is The Walking Dead tv show and comics. This mod aims to get as close as possible to Romero's vision of zombies within the limitations of Dead Island Riptide's design.
Most recently, modern day "fast" zombies, as seen on the remake of Romero's movie classic "Dawn of the Dead", have been included as an optional part of this mod to make zombie fans of both slow and fast types happy.
Description of Included Files
DIR_RomeroModZGrabV8.rar - zombies mostly grab, bites are fatal, special weapons in shops, lots of inventory space, no hud, collect food and drinks to eat.
DIR_RomeroModZCanHitV8.rar - zombies can hit, bites are fatal, special weapons in shops, lots of inventory space, no hud, collect food and drinks to eat.
DIR_RomeroModZModernFastV8.rar - zombies are faster and tougher, bites are fatal, can hit, special weapons and cheap ammo in shops, lots of inventory space, no hud, collect food and drinks to eat.
These are pre-configured files that are ready to play for the gamer who can't wait.
ZombiesGrabOnly.rar - zombies only die by destroying the brain. They will mostly grab you. Be careful not to get bitten or you'll die! Default exp.
ZombiesGrabOnly2EXP.rar - earn double exp for faster leveling.
ZombiesGrabOnly5EXP.rar - earn five times the exp for faster leveling.
ZombiesGrabOnly25PercentEXP.rar - earn only 25% exp for slower leveling.
ZombiesGrabOnly50PercentEXP.rar - earn only 50% exp for slower leveling.
ZombiesGrabOnly75PercentEXP.rar - earn only 75% exp for slower leveling.
ZombiesCanHit.rar - zombies only die by destroying the brain. Be careful not to get bitten or you'll die! They can also punch you. Default exp.
ZombiesCanHit2XEXP.rar - earn double the exp for faster leveling.
ZombiesCanHit5XEXP.rar - earn five times the exp for faster leveling.
ZombiesCanHit25PercentEXP.rar - earn only 25% of exp for slower leveling.
ZombiesCanHit50PercentEXP.rar - earn only 50% of exp for slower leveling.
ZombiesCanHit75PercentEXP.rar - earn only 75% of exp for slower leveling.
ModernZombieFast.rar - based on modern cinema zombies, these zombies are faster, smarter, tougher, and stronger than their classic counterparts. Even the rotting zombies still have some agility in them, while the fresher infected ones are truly fast. Beware of their fatal bite! To kill them, destroy the brain, although you can also destroy the entire body but it would take too much time. They are also weak against fire. This gives default exp.
ModernZombieFast2XEXP.rar - earn double the exp for faster leveling.
ModernZombieFast5XEXP.rar - earn five times the exp for faster leveling.
ModernZombieFast25PercentEXP.rar - earn only 25% of exp for slower leveling.
ModernZombieFast50PercentEXP.rar - earn only 50% of exp for slower leveling.
ModernZombieFast75PercentEXP.rar - earn only 75% of exp for slower leveling.
SurvivalistInventory.rar - carry unbelievable amounts of stuff, perfect for those who survive by simply scavenging and using whatever they can find! You are a person with deep pockets and carries a bag that was designed to save space to store more things. Find all the fruits, snacks, and drinks to eat them whenever you need to recover from damage!
TouristInventory.rar - carry only a few items at a time, just like an unsuspecting tourist who's on his way to the bathroom when all of a sudden the zombie apocalypse explodes all around him and he has no other choice other than to relieve himself while running away. You won't be able to carry as much food and drinks, so be careful!
SpecialShops.rar - special weapons and throwable items are available in the shops! Punish those annoying zombies by chopping their head off, blasting them with a shotgun, or setting explosive mines to turn them into corpse juice!
SurvivalistShops.rar - nothing sold in shops! Good for people trying to push the limits of their survival abilities! Money is worthless in the world full of cannibal corpses. You know fully well that to survive, you have to search for food and weapons on your own.
WarShops.rar - there are more ammunition available at shops at affordable prices and most shops will sell special guns. Perfect for dealing with Modern Fast Zombies!
* Special Note: WarShops.rar contains its own inventory file that will be extracted in the Data folder. This is needed to alter the price of ammo in shops. Delete WarShops' inventory.scr if you don't want cheap ammo. *
DIR_NoHUDv2.rar - feel as if you're really in the island of zombies! You won't see information from zombies popping up like damage, exp, critical hits and the like.
DIR_RadarOnlyHUDv2 - the only thing left on your screen is a radar to help you navigate around the island.
Athletic.rar - are you out of shape and do you get tired easily due to lack of exercise? Don't be zombie food! Use this Athletic mod to let you run for as long as you want! You'll be the infected's envy!
Matrix.rar - Gain the powers of Keeanu Reeves and become The One! Super fast martial arts attacks and super strength! Jump high and crush those puny zombies! Send them smashing from one tree to another! Uppercut them to the next island and accidentally start another zombie outbreak there! Fun times! There are no zombies...because you punched them away!
* Please read the ReadMe.txt file to learn more about how to install this mod and to find out more information. The description has met the 10,000 character limit, thank you! *