Forum Thread
World-exclusive Doom 3 review in PCPP #103; RECEIVES 96%! (Forums : PC Gaming : World-exclusive Doom 3 review in PCPP #103; RECEIVES 96%!) Locked
Thread Options
frosty-theaussie
frosty-theaussie Sonny Jim
Jul 26 2004 Anchor

* Note: This is not a thread to bash Doom 3, or to say how bad it is. No bashing of the game in question, please.*

In the most recent edition of PC PowerPlay (the magazine in which I won "Australia's Smartest Gamer", cough cough... ;)), they have a lengthy six-page review, which goes into great depth to describe Doom 3 is. Simply put, what you have seen of Doom 3 from the media simply does not do justice. The screenshots in the review are spectacular, and the gameplay matches in all regards: storyline, atmosphere, pacing, fear, and combat. I'd say it might be a must-buy. Here are some extracts from the review:

"It is an expertly paced experience, peaking and troughing in all the right places at just the right moments, while remaining an unrelenting adrenalin rush from beggining to end."

"... Doom 3 is without doubt the best demonstration yet of how much Tim Willits and co know about level design."

"You will find yourself gazing in unabashed awe at the incredible amount of detail evident in every room..."

"Everything here is geared towards enhancing the kinetic interplay between firearm and foe."

"The bar has been raised for the first time since Half Life... this is the best shooter ever made"

For:
- Gripping atmosphere
- Superb level design
- Perfect weapon balance
- Awesome graphics

Against:
- We honestly can't think of any
Overall:
A frighteningly intense experience and an absolute masterpiece of FPS design

TOTAL: 96%

Good review, David Wildgoose!

- Edited By frosty_theaussie On Mon 26th, Jul 2004 @ 2:10:04am

--

User Posted Image

a_llama
a_llama Teh moddb llama
Jul 26 2004 Anchor

Actually, pcgamer reviewed it first ;)

Neo-Reloaded
Neo-Reloaded I think i'm BaCk! :) i'm 18 now :P 28/03 (H)
Jul 26 2004 Anchor

i can't agree/disagree, i think it will be action only without plot and kinda boring but i really can't wait :D

--

**wearing a christmas hat since xmas 2004 :)** ThAt'S ThE sPiRiT! ;)
thx 4 teh avatar cheap!:D
Back regularly! 8) i'm an adult in my country now! i'm 18!:O ... anyway...
I'm Back :) ... or am I? O_o

new e-mail addy, check profile :)

Jul 26 2004 Anchor

Well, when's the last time when you read a good FPS storyline...

I mean, Half-Life is an exception, but most of them are all about blasting away at the baddies, like Painkiller.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Jul 27 2004 Anchor

"i can't agree/disagree, i think it will be action only without plot and kinda boring but i really can't wait"
tisk tisk tisk, it amazes me how a developer can emphasize on how their game will be a survival horror game and yet people will STILL think its going to just be a mindless action. How many times does Todd Hollenshead and Tim Willits have to say "this isn't the kind of game where you just shoot everything that moves" I have read countless interviews where they say it is not going to be mindless action and yet sooo many people have it nailed into their head that it is going to be a normal fps. Do you guys even READ the info thats available? Do you just pretend to read info on the game??? I think if the CEO of id says it over and over i think you could take his word that it will have a story and plot to it, heck they are even selling a BOOK of the game. Now why in the hell would they waist time on writing a book on a game and not use the story? Theforumz.com
DANM I CANT WAIT FOR THE GAME TO HIT STORE SHELVES! i got my debit card readeh!!!!

- Edited By operativex On Tue 27th, Jul 2004 @ 3:38:10am

frosty-theaussie
Jul 27 2004 Anchor

What you just said, operativex, was mentioned more than once in the review, in great detail. Its all true. So you can't pick on it because of the story; it DOES have on, told through conversation, computer logs, journals, more conversation etc.

- Edited By frosty_theaussie On Tue 27th, Jul 2004 @ 3:48:41am

--

User Posted Image

Krycha
Krycha ♥♥♥
Jul 27 2004 Anchor

It amazes me why some people dissed Doom 3 before it's release. I was talking with one of them, and he was saying that the game doesn't look like Doom anymore (he thought about monsters, weapons and so).. but that's just development..

I believe the plot and action will be truly awesome. If they'd remake old Doom's with the new engine, it would be great too. Thanks to the creators, they focused on Single Player mode.. and if all those words about fear, atmosphere will be even half truth - still, Doom 3 is the game I'll want to play all the time.

By the way, did the creators change anything about multiplayer mode? As far as I heard, the maximal number of players is 4, did that change?

--

Mod DB 1337 Polsky Man™ /// still here, lurking!
User Posted Image |User Posted Image

frosty-theaussie
Jul 27 2004 Anchor

Krycha wrote: By the way, did the creators change anything about multiplayer mode? As far as I heard, the maximal number of players is 4, did that change?

No. It stayed at 4 players. But according to the review, it was all for the best. The game is all about intimacy, as described in the review. It's about getting it on with your opponent, mano-a-demon (or mano, if multiplayer is your thang). Really, large environments don't suit either the atmosphere of the game, or the described gameplay. Also mentioned in the multiplayer sub-review, it is incredibley fun using real-time lighting to hide in shadows while your opponent walks past you. :D

Anyway, it has been said that the 4-player multiplayer mode is easily changed with mods. So if people want to, they can increase the player count, but I for one will stay with the default 4-player servers! :D

--

User Posted Image

Krycha
Krycha ♥♥♥
Jul 27 2004 Anchor

That's cool. I fully agree with 4 player mode (I always enjoyed small matches with a bit of hiding, camping and so, instead of 16vs16 battlefields, LOL)! That real time lighting hiding tactic sounds just awesome.. I can imagine hunting for people in the dark corridors of UAC :devil:

Well anyways, I still like single player more. Events created by developers can scare you more than human-to-human fights, and mixed with the atmosphere we all saw on screenshots.. it'll be cool and very scary.

--

Mod DB 1337 Polsky Man™ /// still here, lurking!
User Posted Image |User Posted Image

Jul 27 2004 Anchor

4 player Doom has as much action as a 100-player server on Joint Ops. I can't wait to try this game over Xbox Live (saving up for HL2 right now since I have no job).

--

dEaThMaStEr
dEaThMaStEr modDB Pile of Twigs
Jul 27 2004 Anchor

GOD DAMN i can't wait for this!! :D The only problem is, im low on cash.. :/ Got so much crap i need to buy all at the same time, i'm not sure what to buy and where.. Good thing my birthday is like, a week after doom hit's shelves.

And no, i dont think anyone can dis on doom 3 anymore. It's not released to be public and is official: This game kicks ass! heh

Niddle
Niddle An exception...
Oct 30 2004 Anchor

BUMP this up a bit.

I seriously don't get how the magazines puts a percentage over 70%. If this hadn't been Doom 3, if this had been like Kill demons 2, the game wouldn't have gotten this high ratings.
I say that they give it a boost of 30% just because it's Doom.
Cuz it gets really boring walking around in those dark rooms and its not alot of diversity in the game.

--

Lightheaded?
Me too.

User Posted Image

Oct 30 2004 Anchor

and maybe doom 1 or 2 was anything more than Kill Demons? :P

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Oct 30 2004 Anchor

Niddle is right. 96% is definitly too much for that game... but honestly... when did (p)reviews have been accurate ;)

Edited by: Dragonlord

Niddle
Niddle An exception...
Oct 30 2004 Anchor

Hehe well thats true, but its too many magazines that give it high percentage in reviews.
So it's gotta mean something.

--

Lightheaded?
Me too.

User Posted Image

Oct 30 2004 Anchor

I actually didn't really like that game. It was basically Doom 1 but with better graphics :P

Not to mention, the enemy AI was basically: A) Crash through something, B) Run/Walk/Move towards you. Not to mention, there were always two in the room, one at the doorway. They were always hiding in the corners or in small rooms... *makes a reference of the monsters coming out of the closets*

--

Niddle
Niddle An exception...
Oct 30 2004 Anchor

I feel the same way about the game, and many others do too.
The diversity of the game is pretty much ZERO and all you do is run around in the darkness slaughtering monsters...
Altho this can be a little bit fun sometimes :)

Gonna make a topic about this...

Edited by: Niddle

--

Lightheaded?
Me too.

User Posted Image

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.