Forum Thread
Unreal Tournament 3 (xbox 360) (Forums : Console Gaming : Unreal Tournament 3 (xbox 360)) Locked
Thread Options
Kamikazi[Uk]
Kamikazi[Uk] Mobile Game Coder
Jul 5 2008 Anchor

Does the new Ut3 on 360 support mods aswell as the ps3 or not ??

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Jul 5 2008 Anchor

Last I heard, Microsoft were still saying no to XBox UT3 mods.

--

"lets say Portal is a puzzle game, so its a rehash of Tetris"
- Wraiyth points out the craziness of stereotyping games by their genre

Jul 5 2008 Anchor

Nope, no mods. That's why the PC and PS3 version will always be superior.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jul 5 2008 Anchor

No mods will arrive on the 360 in any form. Epic have expressed interest to port MSUC content across, but MS have not yet agreed to anything.

Whizzard
Whizzard Accepted membrane
Jul 6 2008 Anchor

What's the MSs problem?

--

leilei wrote: i hear theres this concept called money you get free stuff if you give the stores this 'money', you can get almost anything you want with money!

Gibberstein
Jul 6 2008 Anchor

It's partly a fear that there would be another Hot Coffee incident, and partly a fear that good mods would make people spend less on XBox Live Arcade. Arguably Sony would have done the same if they weren't desperate for anything that gives the PS3 an edge over it' rival.

--

Kamikazi[Uk]
Kamikazi[Uk] Mobile Game Coder
Jul 6 2008 Anchor

Ok it`s a shame that 360 one doesn`t have mods don`t think i will buy it anymore just wait for some better games to come out.

--

Portfolio 
Blog | Full-Time Mobile Games Programmer

ambershee
Jul 7 2008 Anchor

The Ps3's mod support is pretty much a hack anyway. I get the feeling Epic just bypassed Sony's restrictive licensing and security sneakily.

Jul 7 2008 Anchor

ambershee wrote: The Ps3's mod support is pretty much a hack anyway. I get the feeling Epic just bypassed Sony's restrictive licensing and security sneakily.

False. Epic required code by Sony to convert the mods to the correct format on the PS3, so they had to go through a lot of licensing work with the company. There were no bypasses or "hacks".

Edited by: Karuto

ambershee
Jul 7 2008 Anchor

The proprietary tools required to convert to Ps3 formats aren't open to Ps3 UT3 mod developers. Mod developers, as an example, can't include any audio on the Ps3, because of Sony's proprietary formats. The level and mesh formats however are not proprietary to Sony, and texture formats are generic. There's not a lot of code required at all to make minor adjustments to a few configuration files. Some people have managed to do it manually. This is why you have to download mods to an external storage device, why you have to 'cook' it to a specific file name, why you can only have one mod in use at a time, and why mod developers are harshly limited to what they can include.

"Userdata.jam" is just a quick hack.

Gibberstein
Jul 7 2008 Anchor

I feel the truth is somewhere in between. My guess is Sony said yes to Mod support, but didn't want to offer much in the way of actual help with the implementation. Basically, saying "Sure you can do it if you handle all the details". At the end of the day PC's are built for extensibility, consoles aren't. Even official downloads for console games are limited and painful to implement compared to doing a PC expansion. It's quite impressive they've got user mods working on a console to the extent they have :)

--

ambershee
Jul 7 2008 Anchor

I'm not disagreeing with that; moreover that's kind of the impression I have. Sony were not willing to allow distribution of anything relating to proprietary formats; but were williing for mods to transfer across so long as Epic provided the means and the solution. Unfortunately, the result is a very half baked solution. The potential was there to do a lot more, but it kind of got stomped on before it could properly gestate.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.